Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old     (lyle)      Join Date: May 2004       06-28-2007, 7:45 AM Reply   
so I know it is a pretty basic trick, but I think I wanna try and tackle it, any advice??
Old     (lyle)      Join Date: May 2004       06-28-2007, 8:29 AM Reply   
seems like I have seen some folks bend over and pass the handle behind the knees, doesn this help at all?
Old     (kingskrew)      Join Date: May 2004       06-28-2007, 10:39 AM Reply   
Learn it 1 wake (inside out) first. This trick can be learned with or wihout a handle pass (land wrapped). I suggest learning it with the handle pass because if you do it makes taking it to a HSBS 360 much easier.

As far as doung the trick itself, pull the handle to initiate the spin and lead with your head. Land with your weight over your toes edging away from the wake. The handle pass can be made early or late, depending on what feels more comfortable to you. Good luck!

-Steve
Old     (jusstty)      Join Date: Dec 2006       06-28-2007, 10:43 AM Reply   
Wait a long time to iniatiate the spin, until your falling out of the jump. Landing blind looks pretty sweet.
Old     (ronnyboy27)      Join Date: Nov 2005       06-28-2007, 10:56 AM Reply   
I've taken some hard falls trying to learn this trick but the 1st time you land it it feels awesome.
Old    alanp            06-29-2007, 5:42 PM Reply   
this is far from basic but steve gave some great tips esp. learning them one wake. it will save some brain cells doing it this way. trust me.

also dont even attempt to land blind at first. pass the handle, then learn to land cuffed, then land blind.
Old     (kingskrew)      Join Date: May 2004       06-29-2007, 10:24 PM Reply   
Blind != wrapped
Old     (dlwsrider)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-29-2007, 11:30 PM Reply   
if your rotating to fast, throw in a grab, it helps slow you down and forces you to pass the handle later
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-30-2007, 2:49 AM Reply   
I learned in the flats first. Cut out really hard on your heals, then toss an ollie bs 180. Get those really good first. Get used to landing BLIND. Literally landing looking backwards, there is a reason they call the trick a blind 180; which is the hardest thing to convey to people having trouble with the trick.

After that take it inside out, as mentioned above, then start with a decent one waker, then move to two wakes. Remember start out with a really low line tension and yank that handle at the peak of your jump to initiate rotation.

Good Luck.
Old     (sweg)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-30-2007, 2:52 AM Reply   
Hmm when i learned this trick i started over one wake but it didnt go so well. Then i started doing them flat just edge out when u flatten of just ollie bs, i dont land wrapped i prefer a handle pass. When u start doing them w2w i found out that the key thing was just to pull the handle on your way up really hard with both hands and then wait with the 180 just before u hit the water. Hope this helps GL
Old     (brody)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-16-2007, 9:46 PM Reply   
I want to get blind 180's too. Is there any way to practice them before getting on the water and I also don't have a tramp.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-17-2007, 1:10 PM Reply   
if you're getting the rotation and falling over backwards, you're not waiting long enough to initiate the spin.

If you're getting the rotation and falling forward, you're almost there.

Ollie BS 180's and inside out bs 180's really really help preserver brain cells when learning this trick.
Old     (dnp33)      Join Date: Jan 2007       08-27-2007, 4:17 PM Reply   
i can land them every time in the flats, but i cant do it when i try from the wake, because i cant pull the handle in as well. any tips for the handle?
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-27-2007, 11:11 PM Reply   
Here is how I learned them, after doing the ollie's, etc.

When I first learned them, I really focused on "drifting into the wake". By this I mean pulling the rope into about 70-75 ft and carrying a low line tension. I started out over-rotating and landing on my heels (a sign of both over rotation, looking at the boat, and early initiation). As I progressed I learned that it was a much lazier trick. I could initiate the spin later and be okay. It really took a lot of trys, and falls to get comfortable spinning and landing blind (as far as not looking at the boat, I pass the handle) (without over-rotating). I almost dont start the rotation until I am coming down from the jump, like a late BS 180. As I progressed I was able to let the line back out to 80ft plus. As I took them bigger I learned I had to wait even longer. To help make myself wait I started grabbing indy. When I didnt wait, I would land front foot heavy and go over the nose. I still do this depending on day, wake, speed, etc. Overall it takes time to get comfortable landing blind and timing that initial pull. Thane is right on, if your over the front, your really close. I also noticed that I was getting lazy in my approach, and started putting more weight on my back foot to help with going over the front. I think of putting my weight on my back foot, leaning back a little, and just hangin on for the ride into the wake, make the boat pull you into the wake.

Good luck, and stick with it. Its a super fun trick.
Old     (wakemandan)      Join Date: Feb 2003       08-28-2007, 7:47 AM Reply   
I tried one of these last time i was out, did a nice nose dive.
Old     (ronnyboy27)      Join Date: Nov 2005       08-28-2007, 8:10 AM Reply   
I recommend wearing a helmet when trying these! I've seen stars more than once when trying them.
Old     (jpboarder)      Join Date: Jun 2007       08-28-2007, 11:48 AM Reply   
I wouldnt recommend wearing a helmet when trying any trick on a wakeboard, unless you are using a slider. No offense Ron, I know it only makes sense to wear a helmet but I have gotten most of my concussions from wearing a helmet. The reason you shouldnt wear a helmet is because when you smack your head against the water with a helmet on, the surface area of your head is now a lot larger then it would be with no helmet, causing a more intense impact against the water, which increases chances of a concussion. So the reason you wear a helmet when using a slider is because the impact force is the same but you are really protecting your head from busting open and not a concussion.
Old     (schoney05)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-28-2007, 2:12 PM Reply   
best way to do this is try them ts tell you get them stomped and learn how to land blind and wraped the get behind a jetski and try your hs 180 i konw it sounds dumb but it is way easy to learn how to do a lot of tricks it helped me out a lot