Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 18, 2006

Old     (bassmanjoshis)      Join Date: Feb 2005       06-05-2006, 11:38 AM Reply   
Argh...anybody else ever done this? Just went up for a straight air grab yesterday, fell back when i landed and i guess just the jerk strained the muscle or something...it's just one of those annoying slight pains since you use your abbs for basically any movement. Went big though ;-) i guess go big or go home, right?
Old    justwakein            06-05-2006, 11:42 AM Reply   
in that case, did u go home.
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-05-2006, 11:45 AM Reply   
I dunnit. I did something similar and landed on my back and butt, I think I tensed up and tore something deep, still bothers me here and there. I spend time doing crunches and ab work to avoid reinjuring it and getting a possible hernia that requires surgery. As soon as you are able, start strengthening the stomach.
Old    crash_vin            06-05-2006, 12:01 PM Reply   
i tryed to do a 360 spin in the flats and hooked the edge of the board and slamed my back to the water and tore 5 or 6 muscles in my stomach, i could not stand straight up for a week or so. now i do situps and abb work outs . been doing me some good too
Old     (bassmanjoshis)      Join Date: Feb 2005       06-05-2006, 12:02 PM Reply   
true, good word }Flux

THE justin went big, crashed...didn't go home until after my next set ;-) I'm from Canada!! I take all the time i can on the water cause we only get a few months!
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       06-05-2006, 12:10 PM Reply   
Ha! Yea, I did it, and hope to never do it again. W2W jump, caught the front edge, and had my bindings too tight.

Hope you heal up soon, and hope it was not as painful as mine!

Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       06-05-2006, 12:12 PM Reply   
Hmmm! Pic did not attach. Would not want you to miss out, so here it is!

Upload
Old     (bassmanjoshis)      Join Date: Feb 2005       06-05-2006, 12:25 PM Reply   
Is that a tear in your abb? Mine definitely hasnt' done that so i'm wondering if it's just pulling it or actually tearing the muscle?
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-05-2006, 2:59 PM Reply   
holy s#!t Buzz! One of our crew hit a slider wrong and looked like that for about a week. thats crazy from a few torn muscles....

Josh - get better and back out there. core conditioning
Old     (santa)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-05-2006, 3:14 PM Reply   
Yeah, I got the same thing 2 years ago. I wasn't even doing anything special, just started my first set of the day and did a very basic jump. Caught the front edge and pulled my stomach muscle really bad. I couldn't ride for about 2 or 3 weeks. And I was lucky that nothing got torn.

One thing I learned from this experience is to always give myself a good stretch before a set. Even if I don't have much time, I just let Myself hang from the the boat's tower for about 20-30 seconds, just to give the abs a good pull. I've caught edges since, but never got hurt.

Old     (kingskrew)      Join Date: May 2004       06-05-2006, 3:47 PM Reply   
Buzz, you are a hairy, hairy man...

-Steve
Old     (derby)      Join Date: Nov 2005       06-05-2006, 5:11 PM Reply   
I pulled mine two weeks ago. I hear you on the pain. Pretty much everything you do hurts. I dont recomend hanging out with your funny friends either. I did it the day after and even the slightest little laugh sent me over with pain. And of course they didnt stop.

I rode last week with a little pain but not too bad.

Ice it up if you just did it. But dont leave the ice on too long. I managed to freeze whats left of the winter coat after 15 minutes.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-06-2006, 7:22 AM Reply   
I ripped all of mine learning scarecrows. Black and blue from my thighs to my arm pits.
Old     (bassmanjoshis)      Join Date: Feb 2005       06-06-2006, 7:46 AM Reply   
oh man, maybe time to try something different and come back to the scarecrow jason. second day after and it's not feeling that bad, but then again it doesn't hurt as much in the morning.

Got to the gym this morning for some cardio and it felt ok. Right now it's just feeling like i worked out my abbs a little, with a slightly more annoying sensation but whatever...won't keep me off the water. I'll do some abb workouts in a day or two and keep it steady from there too. Just annoying b/c i have a cough right now too and as the day goes on, the stomach feels a little worse and the coughing is just aggrivating, but oh well...can't wait to get out there and ride again! Just got the 143 3DS and loved it!! It was my first ride on it this past weekend! Thanks!
Old     (mango)      Join Date: Mar 2004       06-10-2006, 11:44 AM Reply   
buzz that's a nasty bruise....I Bruised my ribs about 3 years ago and that hurt like a bitch for a whole month.
Old     (silverlude)      Join Date: Apr 2004       06-10-2006, 8:53 PM Reply   
2nd the bruised ribs, cracked one Memorial day and bruised others on rt side, dang it hurts, still hard to get out of bed or off the couch. still ridin' and gettin a little anyway. I was also told at least one month to heal, i can't wait that long, only have 4 1/2 months to ride, can't waste it. Hope we all heal up fast.
Old     (boarder_x)      Join Date: Mar 2006       06-11-2006, 12:46 PM Reply   
Sorry for the injury's guys, however thanks for the post. I did a slight tear on mine a few weeks ago. Let it heal for a week. Went out, and hit the wake for a backroll (profile pic). As I hit the wake, I felt it pull again. Much worse than the first time. Let it heal for about a week. Yesterday I was just trying to get some board time in. No "GBoGH" stuff. Well, somehow I landed an endo, and tore it again. I was about to go see a Dr. but you guy's experience says I just need to give it more time.

Again sorry about the pain, I feel ya, but thanks for the 411!

Robb
Old     (derby)      Join Date: Nov 2005       06-11-2006, 2:05 PM Reply   
Robb,

I was going to post again but figured I wouldn’t need to. I guess not.

I waited a week and had a slight reoccurrence. Then Friday went out again. I felt pretty good with no pain before my first run. Then a minute in I caught a toe edge and jacked it up again almost if not worse then before.

I went to the doc yesterday and she said it’s just a muscle pull. Unless your innards are bulging out I would just rest it a few weeks.

One of my old trainer’s tricks for ripped muscles is called contrasting. After a few days, no more inflammation, cycle heat and ice 15 minutes a piece five or six times a few times a day. This basically expands and contracts the tissues promoting blood flow and hopefully healing.

Give it a shot. Sorry to say it, but I am right there with you.

Derby
Old     (attila916)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-11-2006, 8:07 PM Reply   
Robb, you only get to drive next time... You are an excellen wheel man!

X1 Marketing quote "...and given every rider who ever dreamed of landing his frist invert at least a fighting chance" That's you buddy!
Old     (bassmanjoshis)      Join Date: Feb 2005       06-12-2006, 7:43 AM Reply   
Well i didn't get out this weekend cause the guy i ride with hit a rock last week so ride's in getting fixed. Sucks, but it did give me an extra couple of days to heal. The stomach is feeling better, i can still feel a little tension on it when doing abb workouts, but it's gettin' there! can't wait to get out an giv'er again!