Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 09, 2007

Old     (ponte_06_x2)      Join Date: Jan 2006       03-21-2007, 9:36 PM Reply   
Ok. A friend of mine lives in Redding. He bought a 06 x2 with i think 150 to 200 hours on it. He got the boat and took it to the lake. He told me that he let it warm up to 160 before he took off. The motor started runnin funny. He got to the dock then he went home. He dropped the boat at the dealer and they told him they would fix it. Now my friend is a tech at Victory Chevy in northern cali, so he nows his stuff. The dealer is just replacing parts but cant find the problem. He wants to do it himself but he cant get the proper tool to hook his lap top to it. Should he try another dealer or just call Mastercraft? Also before he got the boat the dealer had to replace the heads? Its a mcx 350.
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       03-21-2007, 11:26 PM Reply   
Wow, 150-200 hours and it already has new heads and now this problem. Sounds like he should have purchased another boat.
Old     (ponte_06_x2)      Join Date: Jan 2006       03-22-2007, 7:09 AM Reply   
yea i know but like i said he works on cars and trucks all day so he thought that if something went wrong he could fix it easy. he just wants to find the part so he can hook his lap top to it so he can find out whats wrong.
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       03-22-2007, 7:16 AM Reply   
I would get MasterCraft involved if his dealer cant get it fixed. If he logs on with his laptop, will a data record be created? If so, it could be used against him in the future for warranty work.
Old     (duckguy)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-22-2007, 7:43 AM Reply   
Indmar has a three year warranty-if he paid the 450 transfer fee,take it back and keep on trucking.
Old     (evil0ne)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-22-2007, 8:44 AM Reply   
I understand that your buddy has the skills to work on it himself and he probably feels frustrated because he potentially knows more then the dealers service techs, but in this situation I would have the dealer fix it. Once the engine is running the way it should then maybe he could start doing his own maintenance on the boat.
Old     (cawakeboarder12)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-22-2007, 9:41 AM Reply   
another great dealer in Nor cal
Old     (big_brandon)      Join Date: Dec 2005       03-22-2007, 10:42 AM Reply   
You need to take it to a dealer that can hook their computer to it and get the reading off the motor. Once items like HEADS are replaced, there is always some retuning needed. The dealer needs to put the boat on the water under LOAD, with the diagnostic equiptment hooked up to tell what is really happening. More than not, it is something small, but without the proper equiptment, the tech will never find it.
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-22-2007, 1:33 PM Reply   
Well did it get fixed after they replaced parts?
If so, I dont think there is anything wrong with the dealer. I mean they took it back, and it sounds like they are trying to resolve the problem. I must admit the heads being replaced is a bit odd for that new of a motor, but it sounds like your buddy knew about it before he purchased. I dont think I would come down on the dealer so hard just yet. Some problems dont show up on the computer.
Old     (ponte_06_x2)      Join Date: Jan 2006       03-22-2007, 4:06 PM Reply   
thanks for the help guys. the dealer is the one in redding. he lives in santa rosa during the week but he lives in redding. his main concern is that the dealer its at doesnt know how to fix it. like i said he really knows his stuff about motors and such.
Old     (mwmc_andy)      Join Date: Dec 2005       03-26-2007, 3:55 PM Reply   
I would look to the history on the boat. Why were the heads replaced? Were they replaced with Indmar parts or did they come from a local vendor? Was it a warranty repair or due to something like an overheat issue? What kind of problems are you having now? Most of the time there is a driveability problem it is a fuel pressure issue (that is if this current problem is not an ongoing issue from the head replacement). If I was a mechanic, I would see what the fuel pressure does under a load. It would also be worth the time to make sure that the compression is balanced between each cylinder. Maybe there is a head gasket issue? Your friend can do a lot of diagnosis without the computer. Is there water in the oil?

Good Luck.

www.waterskis.com
Old     (ponte_06_x2)      Join Date: Jan 2006       03-26-2007, 5:00 PM Reply   
the owner told me that the heads were replaced because two cylinders had low compression.
Old     (liveoz)      Join Date: May 2002       03-26-2007, 5:11 PM Reply   
something doesn't add up with this story. you have an '06 as well( do you have the same dealer) That thing is still under warranty, why was the compression bad in two chambers? i just think there are details missing or left out.
Old     (ponte_06_x2)      Join Date: Jan 2006       03-26-2007, 8:53 PM Reply   
yea he just got his 06 x2. mine is fine. his dealer is in redding mine is in rohnert park
Old     (mimafour)      Join Date: Dec 2004       03-27-2007, 8:42 PM Reply   
that dealer in redding is why i did not buy a mastercraft. heard to many horror stories about them. try the malibu dealer in redding.