Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 08, 2008

Old     (fullspeed)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Santa Cruz County CA       05-04-2008, 8:45 AM Reply   
Do you have one and how does it really work. I am thinking about getting one.

http://www.haybella.com/index.html
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       05-04-2008, 9:25 AM Reply   
In California the flag must be raised by a human observer, you can be cited for using an automated flagging machine.
Old     (enzostyle)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-04-2008, 2:53 PM Reply   
One more reason to stay out of Cali!
Old     (mammoth)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-04-2008, 3:18 PM Reply   
Mike, are you sure that the flag has to be raised by a human observer in cali? The layman's version of the boating rules in the handouts and booklets doesn't say so...but I guess the actual law might.

It does say that a human observer is required and that a flag must be displayed, but doesn't specify that a person has to raise or hold the flag. The auto-flag wouldn't get you out of having a 3rd, but I believe you would be legal in Ca as long as you have an observer.
Old     (fullspeed)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Santa Cruz County CA       05-05-2008, 7:33 AM Reply   
I think it is a great idea never the less.
Old     (266crownlinebr)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-06-2008, 4:09 AM Reply   
I like it. I would like to see them get rid of that arm that holds it and just have the box. I would hit overpasses and more trees than I already do with that thing up there. I think I might look for the spring pivot point on that and see if I can integrate it into my tower.
Old     (wakejunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-06-2008, 12:41 PM Reply   
Taken from the California Waterways and regulations web.

7009. The Ski Flag.
(a) A red or orange flag measuring no less than 12 inches on each side, in
the shape of a square or rectangle, mounted or displayed in such a manner
as to be visible from every direction shall be known as a ski flag.
(b) The use of this flag will not be construed as conferring any rights or
privileges on its users, and its display will not be construed in itself as
restricting the use of the water in the vicinity of the vessel displaying the
flag.
(c) Operators of vessels will, however, exercise precaution commensurate
with conditions indicated.
(d) The ski flag shall be displayed when one or more of the following
conditions exists.
(1) A downed skier.
(2) A skier in the water preparing to ski.
(3) A ski line extended from the vessel.
(4) A ski in the water in the vicinity of the vessel. The ski flag shall not
be displayed at any other time.
NOTE: Authority cited: Sections 652, 658, 658.7 and 659, Harbors and Navigation Code.
Reference: Sections 650, 655.3, 658.7 and 659, Harbors and Navigation Code.

Chris
www.wakejunky.com
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       05-06-2008, 3:31 PM Reply   
if this is word for word, and there are no other ammendments, then according to 7009. d. 3., I CAN have my flag in a permanent holder, displayed all the time... because even when a rider is riding, obviously there is a "ski line extended from the vessel" when wakeboarding. sweet.
Old     (deltaridah)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-06-2008, 8:33 PM Reply   
you will get a ticket of its up when theres not a rider in the water. ive seen it happen.
Old     (266crownlinebr)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-07-2008, 2:58 AM Reply   
Chris...do you happen to have the law for AZ? I hope it is the same. I also want to keep mine up all the time when the rope is extended from the boat. That would be much easier than putting it up and down, or telling someone to do it that is.
Old     (liljohn)      Join Date: May 2007       05-07-2008, 7:34 AM Reply   
Be careful with this one. we used a buggy whip last year to hold are flag up and got a ticket. i went to court to challange it and lost. the judges coment was that your observer must be holding the flag. although I dissagree its hard to fight the judge. In my opinion the flag should be up at all times when you are towing a rider so oncoming traffic knows your towing a rider. but thats just my opinion.
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-07-2008, 7:36 AM Reply   
I've heard of people getting cited for having it up while swimming
Old     (266crownlinebr)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-10-2008, 2:48 PM Reply   
I thought you were supposed to have it up while swimming.
Old     (jmanolinsky)      Join Date: Dec 2005       05-11-2008, 6:46 AM Reply   
Man, I feel for you guys. Thirds, flags, etc. In TN, as long as you have a proper mirror you are legal. I understand the safety of requiring a third or observer, but I can't see how the flag is suppose to help.

Let's all be safe out there this year,

Jman