Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 01, 2004

Old    jetpilot313            07-22-2004, 10:27 AM Reply   
does anyone have this engine in their boat if so how much gas does it burn and have you had any problems or dislikes with it
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       07-22-2004, 10:51 AM Reply   
These are big blocks meaning more weight and a higher center of gravity. Over the years some of the manufacturers have introduced a big block option with limited success due to size/weight/temperature issues. One of the boats on a private lake I was skiing was a MC SuperStar with a 454 Chevy. The motor box was huge and required a taller ski bar. Not much upside from the 351 Ford or 350 Chevy in terms of driveability, just a couple more mph top end. The skiing wake suffered.

In a wakeboard boat the extra weight might be a good thing but the heat and size issues are still there. Keep in mind that every component on that motor will cost significantly more if it ever needs to be replaced. Any marine dealer in the country is familiar with a small block Ford or Chevy. Parts may not be readily available if something breaks at the beginning of your vacation.
Old     (freakytikki)      Join Date: Apr 2004       07-22-2004, 11:03 AM Reply   
I have this motor in my truck...awesome.No problems.as far heat/gas/weight.The new technology is awesome.If I could have afforded the upgrade I would.You cannot go wrong with then vortecs.I have the mxc...great!
Old    whitechocolate            07-22-2004, 11:29 AM Reply   
My friend has the Big Block option in his SAN, He bought the boat used, He said that this wouldnt be his first choice because of the extra gas consumption, and added Noise of the motor. And yes the sun deck on his SAN has a hump in the center of it to clear the manafold.

The only advantage I can see is that If you always have a full boat max out weight and people the standard 5.L motors seem a bit under powerd getting out of the hole.
Old     (xaggie)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-22-2004, 12:33 PM Reply   
We have the 8.1 in our X-star and we love it. Went to it from the 6.0L in our X-30 mostly because the dealer owed us some free perks. After half a summer with it for the most part the gas consumption has only gone up 10-15% this is due to the fact we usually run full stock ballast with 6-10 friends and you don't have to run the boat as hard as you would with our LTR boats. Plus it just kicks butt to have a boat that hauls ass! hehe
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       07-22-2004, 12:41 PM Reply   
So how fast does it go?
Old    str8jkt            07-22-2004, 12:49 PM Reply   
I have it in my 25' Malibu and I don't think the gas use is that bad but my last boat had a "tweekt" 454 so maybe I'm just used to feeding the beast. I love power and love this engine although in the 25 it is not overpowered, its just enough.
Old     (freakytikki)      Join Date: Apr 2004       07-22-2004, 2:27 PM Reply   
Hey matt(xaggie)got a pic.Both boat and motor?
Old    jetpilot313            07-23-2004, 10:03 AM Reply   
so how many hours on average do u think you could run with a full tank
Old    ilovetrains            07-23-2004, 12:03 PM Reply   
Don,
Still need to get out with you sometime. Does Barry still have that 25?

OP - what boat is it going in? Makes a difference.
Old    str8jkt            07-23-2004, 1:52 PM Reply   
Mathew,
I'm heading to LOTO tomarrow for a week. COme on down for a ride or get with me after if your still game. I havn't seen the 25 latley, but I bet its there somewhere. Are you getting any closer to finding what you want? Fun looking isn't it?

Old     (xaggie)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-23-2004, 6:17 PM Reply   
All i have is some early build photos (need to get after it with my Digital Camera), but I will get some this weekend. With the MC's the sundeck is still flush even with the 8.1. As far as fuel consumption i'll get exact figures this weekend but about 2 8 hour days on the lake ballast plus typically 6-10 people. With the pig the X-Star is we've seen 50-52 on GPS (stock prop), albet with a lot of bow slap. As my dad always told me money, sex, and horsepower are three things a man can never have enough of! P>S> at least for MC in '04 the HP went to 450. Cheers, Matt