Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 17, 2007

Old     (lightningstrikes)      Join Date: May 2007       06-02-2007, 8:15 PM Reply   
Results from boating today. I don't know how the heck I always find all the submersed logs/stumps at folsom. Luck of the draw I guess. I just picked up this prop last week from the prop repair shop. Here is a pic of what it looks like after today.Also the rudder is jammed into the bottom of the boat. I swear I am about to give up and just sell this boat, I just can't win.

Upload

(Message edited by lightningstrikes on June 02, 2007)
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-02-2007, 8:18 PM Reply   
That puts a damper on the season... Sorry to hear it.
Old     (jmiahhenry)      Join Date: May 2007       06-02-2007, 8:42 PM Reply   
A buddy of mine uses a fishing style depth finder so he can see what is under water after a few similar incidents. Maybe that is the solution.?
Old     (ryan27r)      Join Date: Oct 2006       06-02-2007, 9:04 PM Reply   
I don't think that one is getting repaired...
Old    kidrik            06-02-2007, 9:18 PM Reply   
Dooooood, that SUCKS! Where were you when you hit it?

Don't give up man......it comes in waves!(no pun) Hopefully you've had your share for the season!

Good luck.
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-02-2007, 9:28 PM Reply   
My crew has a saying that two out of every three trips to the water are good trips, the third trip something always goes wrong with the boat, boards breaking, etc. Sounds like yours comes in clusters. Hang in there, it is so worth it when it all goes right.
Old     (ponte_06_x2)      Join Date: Jan 2006       06-02-2007, 11:50 PM Reply   
hang in there bro. it will get better
Old     (smewth001)      Join Date: Oct 2004       06-03-2007, 12:04 AM Reply   
Dude that sucks! I know how you're feeling I've been on the same lake all my life. I've driven my buddy's boats all the time and never hit anything! But untill I owned my own boat I found every rock there was on that lake!
Old     (scanboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2005       06-03-2007, 2:00 AM Reply   
Someone needs to construct some kind of safety rail going from in front of the propshaft and way back to the rudder. That would allow the boat to slide over logs and sandbanks and such.
I used to have a fishing boat with an inboard and it had an extended keel brace protecting the prop and rudder. I ran that thing thru a foot of sand and it didn't hurt prop or rudder.
Old     (entrustclothing)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-03-2007, 8:44 AM Reply   
i feel you man, i always feel like im the guy that finds all the stuff to hit as well!

this is a first year that ive made to june without hitting something :-(
Old     (nbeihl)      Join Date: Mar 2004       06-03-2007, 4:55 PM Reply   
B(Break) O(Out) A(Another) T(Thousand)!!!!
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-03-2007, 4:57 PM Reply   
gotta stop driving it like you stole it!!!!!!!!!

do you have a depth finder?

get one
Old     (lightningstrikes)      Join Date: May 2007       06-03-2007, 7:20 PM Reply   
Yeah the boat has a built in depth finder....and I do not usually boat in anything less than 4ft, but when I destroy my props, it is always something in the MIDDLE of the lake! This particular time we about went thru the windshield...boat went from 40mph to 0mph in about 2 seconds flat, after doing a nice spin.
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       06-03-2007, 8:03 PM Reply   
simple..

stay out of folsom, I have seen so many boats damaged coming out of there. I ran mine a few times till I got smart before something bit me.

Just happened a to have my anchor dropped and we were swimming and a tree log/stup about 4 feet long and 3 feet wide was about 2-3 feet under the surface, we almost jumped on doing flips off the teak deck.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-03-2007, 8:56 PM Reply   
So I read this thread before I went out today and I thought to myself that I really never have any problems while out boating...I promptly changed that. I had a new person backing my boat in and they went to deep and a trailer guide post cover floated off. While in reverse I leave the helm to grab the guide cover, back into the marker buoy's, catch an F'ng cable in my prop and wrap that bastard around the drive shaft real nice. So now I'm hooked up to the string of marker buoy's blocking one of 2 launches. I get the boat cut free from 3 lines and have to pull it back out and snip the dang cable out. Luckily there was no damage to anything on the boat, prop or drive shaft.

A side note, I am very proficient at launching and pulling the boat out as I'm sure most of you are too. How in the hell can other boaters be so damn retarded? It's mind boggling the crap that goes on at the boat launch. I mean how can you sit your ass in line and then when you get down there take your own sweet time? I had to yell at a couple people today after my nerves had been pushed to the brink.
Old     (jpshaff01)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-03-2007, 9:10 PM Reply   
Hate- I have yelled a lot at the launch too, people wiping down their boats and crap just stopping everything from functioning smoothly. People cutting in line and others letting them because they don't wanna say anything.
Old     (lightningstrikes)      Join Date: May 2007       06-04-2007, 6:46 AM Reply   
I don't even want to go there!! I have come very close to a few fights at the ramps...not that I am a violent person. You can only take so much stupidity and sometimes people test your limits to the max.
Old    stillstandin            06-04-2007, 7:20 AM Reply   
My boat is in the shop now....hit a buoy in the middle of Don Pedro that was 2-3 ft under water. Depth was 75 ft, ranger told me it was there to mark an underwater obstibcle, the buoy was the obsitcle. Prop has be fixed, and bent the rudder. Boat has been at the shop since the day after memorial day, and I dont expect to get it back until another week or so, at best. I usually will hit a little drift wood once or twice a year with no damage, this is the first time something has happened, and ive been boating for a long time, so I cant complain to much.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-04-2007, 10:18 AM Reply   
broke the bottom off our outboard at calero on an unmarked underwater rock/island, went out when lake was down and found numerous prop and lower unit pieces from mine and others...

lost the prop completely on an inboard, shaft broke right at the prop in 15 feet water with no apparent collision????
Old     (riverdave)      Join Date: May 2007       06-04-2007, 10:34 AM Reply   
SCA, I might have an explanation for your bouy story. Sometimes if people sink a boat, they'll find it with Sonar, and they'll drop a line and this kind of reflective bouy. They'll then shorten the line so that the bouy is about 10' under the water, so that they can find the sunken boat later to pull it up. If either someone never pulled the bouy, or never came back for the boat, and the water level went down a little bit, whammo.. You get a new prop, and possibly a rudder.

RD
Old     (jusstty)      Join Date: Dec 2006       06-04-2007, 10:36 AM Reply   
Your luck is bound to change eventually.
Old     (jpshaff01)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-04-2007, 11:45 AM Reply   
I have'nt had any trouble with my prop or rudder, i think it was mentioned above but does any company may a guard or skid bar lol. I know they make prop guards for the outboard fishing boats.
Old     (jpshaff01)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-04-2007, 12:22 PM Reply   
Like these contraptions made for i/o's and outboardsUpload
Upload
Upload
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-04-2007, 2:19 PM Reply   
Chad, bad luck. My main lake is Folsom also and I haven't run over any logs. Where if Folsom were you? Just want to make sure I am not there and away from you (he he he j/k).
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       06-04-2007, 6:10 PM Reply   
Jon,

With all the sheet we create for our boats I am sure one of us can do something like that and not have to wait for a manufacture to do it for us. HINT HINT
Old     (boss210)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-04-2007, 7:06 PM Reply   
that stuff will never work on a v-drive or inboard. Its one of the things we have insurance on our boats for. Just in case