Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (smuurph84)      Join Date: Oct 2008       06-26-2017, 8:15 AM Reply   
so my children are 4 and 6 and both of them love to surf with me. that being said I want to try and get them surfing on their own. I am debating to get them a zup board to start and then work them into a real surfboard at some point.

has anyone used one of these yet? it says it could be used for surfing but I searched the forums and nothing came up? curious if i should start with it first?
Old     (infinitysurf)      Join Date: Apr 2017       06-26-2017, 6:53 PM Reply   
I debated getting that board for a while and ended up finding a good deal on the board and rope. I have 2 daughters....11 and 13. They both LOVE that board and make me take it every freakin time. Its is fairly heavy and bulky and does not fit in any racks, BUT that is also why its so stable and good for kids. I actually took my 6yrs old nephew out this weekend, he was standing up and riding it in 5mins flat (8mph).....I use the lower towpoint and only put the rope out around 15ft for that since it makes it even more stable.
I would totally do it again, while my daughters have been on I/O boats all their lives, this is first year I got a surf boat and its the best thing I could have done to get them comfortable...hopefully they will want to try surfing soon too. I say do it. I will see if I can find a picture and post it later.
Oh...your last question on if it can be used for surfing a wave. Honestly I have not tried that yet. My concern with how heavy it is would be control....and that it may bang into back of boat cause very heavy and would likely not "control" too well since no fins....and "braking" would be tough for a kid to do since its heavy. Super stabile tho, maybe they meant the surfing part just to get them used to standing up?
Old     (infinitysurf)      Join Date: Apr 2017       06-26-2017, 7:06 PM Reply   
Here are a couple
Attached Images

Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       06-27-2017, 8:20 AM Reply   
Anything a kid can goof and play on behind the boat will make them better later. I really want to get one of those rad discs.
Old     (fence_sence)      Join Date: Jul 2008       06-29-2017, 9:05 AM Reply   
^^^Just make your own disc. I rode my grandfather's '61 White Bear Disc a couple weeks ago for the first time in a couple years and they are a blast. It's just a piece of plywood that is concave.
Attached Images

Old     (smuurph84)      Join Date: Oct 2008       08-01-2017, 5:41 PM Reply   
Well I purchased the board! My kids are 4 and 6 and love it. Just figured I would chime in and recommend to anyone who is tired of hauling a tube around!
Old     (smuurph84)      Join Date: Oct 2008       08-01-2017, 5:41 PM Reply   
Old     (smuurph84)      Join Date: Oct 2008       08-01-2017, 5:43 PM Reply   
Old     (Familyrig)      Join Date: Aug 2016       08-01-2017, 9:17 PM Reply   
We bought one this year also and our kids absolutely love it. I just wish it wasn't so big...
Old     (Familyrig)      Join Date: Aug 2016       08-01-2017, 9:27 PM Reply   
Having fun
Old     (smuurph84)      Join Date: Oct 2008       08-02-2017, 5:33 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Familyrig View Post
We bought one this year also and our kids absolutely love it. I just wish it wasn't so big...

Yeah it is a little big but it fits in a surf slot of one of my racks.

Plus it frees up the whole sun pad (where the tube would ride!)