Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (ridemarktwain)      Join Date: Aug 2008       02-03-2012, 6:02 PM Reply   
Are new boards designed to perform best for a given type of wake or for a type of riding style? When prototype boards are riden do the try them on a variety of boats at different ballast levels or just their typical setup?
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       02-03-2012, 6:29 PM Reply   
yes
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       02-03-2012, 8:08 PM Reply   
Yep. A well-designed board should work on just about any size or shape of wake.
Old     (ridemarktwain)      Join Date: Aug 2008       02-04-2012, 5:29 AM Reply   
I may be looking at this wrong. But if the goal is a board that performs well for multiple styles on multipule size wakes. Why are there so many boards out there? I'm guessing a board company is more profitable if they produce multipule board styles. Board companys have been shaping boards for 15-10years? and they still produce new board shapes every year? Seems to me they should have figured out the best board design by now or at least narrowed is down to a handful of shapes.
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       02-04-2012, 5:48 AM Reply   
There are ABSOLUTELY boards for different riding styles. That's why there are so many shapes. But all those boards are designed to work on a variety of wake. You asked if boards are designed for a type of wake or a type of riding style and I guess the answer is that they're designed for a type of riding style, no matter the wake.

Sorry if we confused you.
Old     (VinnyA)      Join Date: Aug 2011       02-04-2012, 6:26 AM Reply   
----but dont be confused on the fact that there are new shapes every year, cuz there aren't lol they change the shape of a certain model after about 2 seasons. so when deciding between a boards current 420 dollar model, or last years now 300 dollar shape, look at the features, look at the shape/specs. Chances are the only thing thats different is the graphic
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       02-04-2012, 10:43 AM Reply   
Well I think that maybe you kind of choose your board and wake both based on your style. I like a 3 stage board, and I like a a very steep wake. Some
Of my friends like continuous boards and mellowed wakes. Both of those combos come back to your own riding style. I like to go up and wake to wake. My crew likes to boot to the flats.
So yea any board will work fine on any wake. You just might pick each of them based on your style.
Old     (ridemarktwain)      Join Date: Aug 2008       02-04-2012, 12:34 PM Reply   
So different strokes for different fokes. I'll just have to keep trying evey board
I can until I find what I like.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       02-04-2012, 12:53 PM Reply   
i will say this though, my .02 is that if youre riding a skiboat get a three stage, it will help you get an abrupt pop out of a pretty flat wake