Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (wakebdr2002)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-17-2013, 4:18 PM Reply   
My overall impression is that the boat is well built and drove and handled great. The 350 seemed to have plenty of power with the prop that was on the boat. I loved the new touchscreen dash and switch combination - I think it is the best setup out there. My biggest complaint is that the windshield is super low and also the bow rides low in the water when ballast is full. We took a roller over the bow with an experienced driver although he was not paying attention while playing with the fancy gizmos.

The boat came with stock ballast liquid lead setup - 400's in each rear locker plus 900 under the floor and a wrap around sack under the front seats. We had 3 people in the boat and not much gas in the tank. I got behind the boat and took a quick set and I was not shocked or awed by the wake. I currently own a 24SSV and the wake was definitely not as big as my 24 (I'm running 750's in the rear lockers and 1100 in the middle on my 24). The wake was very clean at all speeds and much rampier than a typical Supra wake even with the wakeplate full up.

So my question for anyone that has an SA is what bags are you running? I think I can put 750's in the rear but will that be enough to get the wake to have a little more kick and as big as my 24SSV? I don't want to have to go out and fill sacs on the floor of the boat.
Old    TN22            03-17-2013, 5:26 PM Reply   
Sounds like you're running right about 3000 in your 24, so adding the 750's will get the SA to about the same weight as your boat. I definitely think the 750's in the rear will give the wake more kick compared to just the stock setup. The SA can take a ton of weight, I rode one with over 5000 pounds in it with the 450 motor and the wake was huge and perfectly clean.
Old     (spencerwm)      Join Date: Feb 2009       03-18-2013, 12:14 PM Reply   
In my opinion you will not be able to get the same wake out of the SA22 that you get from your 24. You don't have enough hull to displace in the SA.

I am a huge fan of the SA wake and I like the way it drives but the rear compartments are a little small and the bow is already maxed out with the Liquid Lead ballast. I measured the rear compartments to be 35"x 25" x 18". So... The best bag is probably the Straight Line Sumo 600 as it is 40" x 20" x 20".

With all of this said I would take an SA over any other SkiersChoice boat right now. I think you should probably wait for the SA24 to arrive in 2014.
Old     (Ttime41)      Join Date: Nov 2011       03-18-2013, 1:01 PM Reply   
The SA will certainly put out a wake comparable in size to the 24. Truthfully, with the right amount of weight the SA wake can get bigger and stay much cleaner due to the hull shape. Like TN22 i've ridden an SA with over 5000 pounds in it and the wake is scary huge and clean for miles.

To the OP: In my buddy's SA 450 we are running fly high 1100's in each of the rear compartments and stock flex ballast up front. The bags run all the way up to the very ends of the compartments, so if you don't mind losing storage space and want all your ballast hidden, this is probably the way to go. We have also found that running this amount of rear weight makes the wake a good bit steeper (which we like, both having upgraded from loaded down Supra 22v's). The 450 is able to pull this weight setup on plane without a problem, however, i'm not so sure the smaller motor would be able to handle such a rear heavy weight distribution. Doing the 750's in the rear compartments will certainly give you more kick as well, and fly high just started selling 750 pound sacks made specifically for the SA, so that's definitely something to look into. This is probably the route I will go, as we just ordered an SA and went with the 350 motor. Either way I'm sure you'll be able to create a wake you love as much or more than your 24! I was certainly skeptical about the SA because i loved the wake on our 22v so much, but after some time in the boat I can say that the wake is as much an upgrade as the awesome handling and styling