Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (ryanbush11)      Join Date: May 2003       06-30-2011, 5:03 AM Reply   
this is a question for the experts... right now i'm running 4 Kinetik HC2400s just for the stereo, but over the winter i want to switch to 6 of the XS power 3400s... which on board charger will get me through the rest of this summer but still work next year?
Old     (fullspeed)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Santa Cruz County CA       06-30-2011, 11:22 AM Reply   
Ryan I asked the same question a couple weeks ago and didn't really get a confirmed answer. I did call Kinetk and talked to Steve I think his name was. He told me to look into CTEK chargers. I bought the CTEK 25000, but I don't know if it is the right one for you. Haven't installed it yet it is going to be delivered today. The first one was stolen off my porch last week. SO hopefully it will be there when I get off work. Bought it on amazon. com
Old     (factorykitted)      Join Date: Jul 2009       06-30-2011, 11:32 AM Reply   
ryan - what charger are running now? as a rule of thumb you want the amp rating on the charger to be about 10-15% of the the total aH. I assume you have a cranking battery or two as well. From what i've been told, the the xantrex truecharge2 60 amp would be a perfect fit.. it sounds like you are wanting something that will get you by though...the xantrex is about $500
Old     (ryanbush11)      Join Date: May 2003       06-30-2011, 1:21 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by factorykitted View Post
ryan - what charger are running now? as a rule of thumb you want the amp rating on the charger to be about 10-15% of the the total aH. I assume you have a cranking battery or two as well. From what i've been told, the the xantrex truecharge2 60 amp would be a perfect fit.. it sounds like you are wanting something that will get you by though...the xantrex is about $500
and that's the charger i have been looking at... just wanted to make sure there wasn't something out there better... or a better fit before dropping 5bills
Old     (ryanbush11)      Join Date: May 2003       06-30-2011, 1:19 PM Reply   
right now i'm running a snap on 60amp charger, but it's now onboard so i have to lug it to the dock every weekend and back home to use during the week... wanting something that is going to make my life easier

and yes i have an optima bluetop for starting the boat
Old     (factorykitted)      Join Date: Jul 2009       06-30-2011, 1:28 PM Reply   
its quite expensive but the convenience far exceeds the cost and lugging that thing around every weekend. not sure if i will drop a truecharge2 in my current boat but I will on my next boat. i run a promariner prosport 20 but also have a portable charger that i keep on the boat.
Old     (gundogg)      Join Date: Feb 2004       06-30-2011, 1:54 PM Reply   
Just purchased the Xantrex Truecharge2 in a 40A to charge 4 Kinetik HC2000 and 1 Kinetik HC1400. It will be replacing the Prosport 20 that I just installed. I just liked the features on the xantrex chargers and the increased amperage. 40A charger was on sale through west marine last week, I don't know if it is still on sale or not. Now I need to sell the Prosport that has only been used a handful of times.
Old     (UNvisible)      Join Date: May 2010       06-30-2011, 1:55 PM Reply   
yep xantrex truecharge2 , but get the 60 amp if you are going to do the 6 3400's
Old     (factorykitted)      Join Date: Jul 2009       06-30-2011, 2:49 PM Reply   
which 40amp charger was one sale?
Old     (gundogg)      Join Date: Feb 2004       06-30-2011, 2:59 PM Reply   
the xantrex truecharge2 40A

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...classNum=11278
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       07-02-2011, 3:17 PM Reply   
If you look carefully on the Kinetik website, they have specific voltages that the batteries are supposed to be charged to and then maintained at. When I was looking at chargers, only Xantrex fit the specs, not the prosport. Even on the AGM setting, various chargers will use different algorithms.

As many batteries as some of you have, don't skimp now and go with the 20 amp, your batteries will perform better if they get more juice to recharge them.