Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 08, 2003

Old    justhavinfun            06-27-2003, 6:59 AM Reply   
So I hit a log and bent my prop. Got a new one and after a long hassle lossened the nut. My problem is that I cannot actually physically turn the prop puller nut anymore and the prop is still on there!!!! Is there any hint out there for this or do i just need to suck it up??? Can I take it to a service station?? Or do I need to take it to a boat dealer??? My dealer is 2 hours away but there are more local ones that don't deal with inboards. Any hints or help would be aprreciated.
Old     (tcaton)      Join Date: Sep 2002       06-27-2003, 7:23 AM Reply   
Try tapping on the end of the prop pullers nut after you have it tight and see if that will pop it free, make sure that you left the prop nut on so that when it does pop it wont fly of the end of the shaft.

(Message edited by tcaton on June 27, 2003)
Old     (davidgree1)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-27-2003, 9:50 AM Reply   
Don't take the prop nut all the way off. That way when the prop loosens it won't fly off the shaft. You need to wedge a broom stick between the prop fins and the shaft guide so the prop won't turn while you tighten the prop puller nut or loosen the prop shaft nut. Tighten the prop puller nut then bang with a hammer on the prop to help in slide off.
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       06-27-2003, 11:04 AM Reply   
As my dad always told me: "Don't force it, get a bigger hammer!"

Sometimes the prop pops off with just a little encouragement. Other times, you need to apply all the force that the puller is capable of exerting.

How big it the wrench you are using on the puller? If you are using a 3/8 socket, there is no way you would be able to get enough leverage to do the job. I recommend using a 1/2" breaker bar, and then slide a section of pipe over the bar handle to get some additional leverage. You will need to jam a 2/4 or similar between the prop blade and the hull to keep the prop from turning.

If all else fails, try tapping on the prop with a hammer while you are torquing on the nut. DO NOT APPLY HEAT, you will ruin the strut bearing.

WARNING!! Pad the frame of the trailer, wear a helmet and elbow pads, or do something to keep from killing yourself when the prop does pop loose. When it comes loose, it will come loose all at once and since you will be straining hard against the breaker bar you will tend to go flying too.

Rod
Old     (salty87)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-27-2003, 12:49 PM Reply   
try this one....6 or 8 pennies stacked in the end of the prop nut hanging off the end of the shaft ('cause you don't want to take that nut off before the prop is off). they'll fill in the gap and give your puller another 1/2" or so more to turn.

don't forget to put some of that dia-whatever grease on the shaft before putting your new prop on.
Old    ssjrmk            06-27-2003, 9:19 PM Reply   
I suggest slowly heating the prop evenly around all sides as you pull on it with the puller. The heat from a small propane torch works well. I just did mine and it does heat up the prop but the shaft does not get hot.It works very well.
Old    nohalfboats            06-28-2003, 11:15 PM Reply   
APPLY HEAT WITH A PROPANE TORCH YOU CAN BUY AT ORCHARD FOR $20 DOLLARS.With pressure on the prop from the puller,point torch at prop for about 10 seconds and it will expand and pop off.
Old     (phat_in_cincy)      Join Date: May 2003       06-30-2003, 5:52 AM Reply   
I bought a 7 ton 2 jaw gear puller and pulled mine Sat. Worked great if you have the space to get it in there. Craftsman for $30.
Old    justhavinfun            06-30-2003, 5:59 AM Reply   
thanks for all the help. I got it off once I got home. I just beat the crap out of it till it popped off. I actually sheared the keyway in half I had to beat it so hard. No shaft damage and the new prop is great. I am know that much wiser and will again go back to seriously looking for logs at all times and not just half-a**ing it.
Thanks for all the help!!!!
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       06-30-2003, 12:12 PM Reply   
Be VERY careful if you apply heat in the process of removing the prop. Just ahead of the prop is the "strut", which holds the prop shaft. There is a bushing style bearing in the strut that is essentially rubber and plastic. If you heat the shaft to the point that the strut bearing melts or deforms you will create even worse problems for yourself.

This is also why you should never attempt to engage the transmission when operating off a garden hose on the trailer. The strut bearing is meant to be water lubricated and cooled, spinning the shaft while it is dry can overheat it very quickly.

If you must apply heat to the prop, wrap a wet rag around the shaft and/or keep a hose running over the strut. You really don't want to end up replacing that bushing.
Old     (gvb)      Join Date: May 2003       06-30-2003, 10:26 PM Reply   
I just pulled my bent prop off today using the prop puller I built with the idea from: http://www.alberg37.org/Newsletters/Vol13-no2-Spring-2003/vol-13-no2-Spring-2003.htm

Cost me all of like $5-10 and worked perfectly.

-gvb