Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 13, 2007

Old     (duramaxer)      Join Date: Nov 2006       02-22-2007, 8:19 AM Reply   
I am trying to decide on which of these 2 boats that will work best for me? We are tending to surf a bit more that wakeboard so much these days but can't get a boat any bigger than this due to the fact that my garage will not fit anything bigger than this and I refuse to store my boat outside especially here in Canada during the winters.
I have not had a chance yet to be in either boat but will hopefully here in the spring. I am looking to custom order what ever I decide on this fall. The reason for these 2 boats is the fact that these are the only 2 dealers here locally that I would consider using. The others are not very good with repairs/customer relations.
I am just looking for some advice from people that have driven/ridden these boats about handling/wake. How is the surf wave? Also any problems that you may know of? Any other info you may feel that would help me will be great. Thanks in advance.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       02-22-2007, 9:26 AM Reply   
The X2 handles great. It is on of the funnest v-drive boats on the market to drive. It is also huge inside for a 20 foot boat. The new 310hp RTP is really nice in this boat. They reworked the fuel injection and it pulls much better out of the hole than the old RTP. With the MCX it is a rocket ship. The X2 also has an amazing surf wake for a 20 foot boat.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-22-2007, 9:32 AM Reply   
Really a preference of which YOU like better. Both are sweet boats, but they are in two totally different price ranges. Take them out and drive them and see what you like. I have owned 2 21v's and loved them. I would definitely own a MC x2, but prices are not even close.
Wake and Wave are going to be great on both.
Both are hot boats. Can't go wrong....
Old     (entrustclothing)      Join Date: Jul 2005       02-22-2007, 9:36 AM Reply   
supra is bigger and has more room which is important to me. also the supra is gonna be about $10k less which is also important to me :-)
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       02-22-2007, 11:02 AM Reply   
entrust, I have been in both as well and I think the new x-2 feels bigger than the 21v.
Old     (entrustclothing)      Join Date: Jul 2005       02-22-2007, 12:33 PM Reply   
sorry i wasnt thinking about a new x2 :-( personally ive never been in a new x2 so i can't compare, i just see x2 and think old star
Old    innov8actionsports.com            02-22-2007, 12:41 PM Reply   
I have been in both and have owned a Supra 21v.
The 21v is a great boat for the money, but the X2 is one of the best boats on the market IMO.
If money is no issue, get the X2.
Old     (fox)      Join Date: Jul 2002       02-22-2007, 1:21 PM Reply   
I was on a 21v at the boat show. It was a very nice boat in many ways. Quality seemed good from my limited time. It was roomy and there was a lot of storage. I have spent a lot of time on the new X2 this past summer and it also has a ton of room. I thought the bow was roomier and more comfortable. The storage is also plentiful. The boat handles chop better than any other towboat I have been in, and it throws a great wake too. It also is the more expensive option. The boat show prices had them about 10k apart in price.
Old     (chqwakeboarder)      Join Date: May 2006       02-22-2007, 1:24 PM Reply   
We have an old X-2/X-1(look at profile Pic) and love it. My neighbor owns a 21v and I've been in it multiple times. Trying to be as unbiased as I can here is what I have to say: First, the X-1 wake is significantly better. Secondly, I feel the MC fit and finish is also better than the Supra. In favor of the 21v: this boat is a lot bigger than the X-1 and handles a lot better in chop than an X-1 does. So, if you want a hardcore riding boat, go with the X-1, but if you do some riding and do some family boat rides, I would go with the 21v. Just my 2cents
Old    innov8actionsports.com            02-22-2007, 1:52 PM Reply   
He is looking at the x2 not the x1
Old     (mrm2083)      Join Date: Nov 2005       02-22-2007, 2:54 PM Reply   
i have an x2 and swear by it. The boat is huge inside, extremely well built/finished, and imo is the nicest looking boat. It also handles chop really well and is real solid (I take a 15 minute ride through the bay to get to my spot) Alot of people on this site complain about the wake and i just dont get it. I have a bow sack and 2 sacks next to the engine compartment plus stock ballast and the wake is awesome. I may be biased but all the people i ride with, none of which own mastercrafts, say it's one of their favorites. Two of my friends say theyd take it over an xstar. And the boat handles amazing too. If you have any other questions let me know.
Old     (duckguy)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-22-2007, 3:23 PM Reply   
This is mine-Manny summed it up. It really handles chop well. I owned a big 22 ft Sea Ray that I traded for an older X2 aka X1-that boat did not ride well and was small inside. I got this one and could not be any happier. It is so so awsome. I have a very similar ballast to manny and yes the wake is awsome. Does it look in pics as large as an X1-NO. It is a very solid crisp wake with more boot than could be asked for. As for Supra they are nice but not as nice as an MC. Spring the 10k for the X2. You will like it more, It wont depreciate as fast, and IMO will do everything better.Upload
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-22-2007, 5:16 PM Reply   
I love the x2 also so not bashing, but you guys really have to stop on the deprication card. Seriously it is the furthest from the truth. I have bought 3 Supra's in 3 years. 4th is on the way. I would be happy to talk about depreciation or appreciation with you.
Not bashing the boat or MC. All things equal I would probably get the x2 for something different and it is a damn sexy boat. Fact is they are not equally priced. Pick the boat that you like best. You will love and defend it after you get it just like the rest of us. Good luck, but all of you and this depreciation talk is getting nuts.... I hear it on every thread about this and there is a reason you are not getting a new MC every year. Flame on not intending to start a war.
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       02-22-2007, 5:42 PM Reply   
Diggs, I'll make sure to give you some MC t-shirts touting best resale value They're black and you can use them to wipe down your new all black boat It's in the MC coolaid. Just like a few years ago when Parks was saying MC isn't jumping on the wakeplate bandwagon? Ummmmm, you can get a lot of MC's with plates these days!!

You know I'm kidding. Lets just say that I got hammered buying an 05 X2. Yes IMO the 05 is a lot nicer than the 06 X1, but try explaining that to the average Joe. The entry level X1 did not do me any favors. I'm glad they increased the price on the 07 X1's by 8% or whatever, just like I'm sure you're glad Supra increased their prices. I just hope all the 2006 X1's sink!! Oh, forgot they don't sink b/c of the foam. I hope they all go away....
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-22-2007, 6:08 PM Reply   
ha ha.... You know I love the MC and especially the old 205 (x1) hull and now the new x2. I think I drooled over that black x2 at the boat show for hours, days, weeks. I would take those shirts from you though. I would actually wear them proud too! Fair trade for some Supra shirts? Can coozies?
Sorry about the hijack....
Old     (wakecrazy21v)      Join Date: Jan 2005       02-22-2007, 8:15 PM Reply   
I have to agree with Diggs, I do not thing we need to talk about deprication, but appreciation when it comes to some boats.
Old     (kraig)      Join Date: Dec 2002       02-23-2007, 4:19 PM Reply   
I have an Appreciation for my boat and it's a Moomba!
Old     (entrustclothing)      Join Date: Jul 2005       02-23-2007, 4:40 PM Reply   
same here kraig :-) i love my moomba and i love that i paid $30k less then a x30 :-)
Old     (ronskal)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-23-2007, 7:00 PM Reply   
I cannot give you an answer because I've never seen a new X2 in person but I have test drove the 21V and might have bought it except the price was not right. I like the Supra and I own an MC so go for what you can afford.

The price difference would sway me personally away from the X2 (or any boat that expensive) but if you can swing the X2, go for it.

You will get what you pay for with both.
Old     (masterxstar)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-04-2007, 12:56 PM Reply   
Are half you guy's nuts.???? You cant even put the Supra in the same catagory as the X-2. Master Craft costs more because "YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR". just take a look at the quality and you should know what to buy.
Old     (ridealready)      Join Date: Feb 2006       03-06-2007, 8:20 AM Reply   
TOOL
Old     (duramaxer)      Join Date: Nov 2006       03-06-2007, 9:16 AM Reply   
Well I see that this is not the best place to get an objective opinion about this. I have received some good info but sure seems to snowball into a bit of a bitching match. I was just looking for some info not about construction of the 2 boats or the cost of the boats I am fully aware of those issues. I am wondering about reliablity and the functionality of the 2 boats for the purpose outlined in my opening post.
Thanks to you guys thought that have got back to me with some useful info (you will know who you are) that was a great deal of help and I will probably be in touch with some more questions.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-06-2007, 10:29 AM Reply   
duramaxer....
what you should be getting from this is that they are both quality boats and you should go with which boat you and your family like better. pick a good dealer. it is the same battle as ford, dodge and chevy owners have had for years. get what you like better and you will be happy. there is not a poorly constructed inboard boat on the market. oh yeah you should have bought a dodge..... ha ha.. kidding of course
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-06-2007, 1:33 PM Reply   
Diggs, not a poorly constructed inboard on the market? Thats a bold statement.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-06-2007, 2:16 PM Reply   
Some may be better construction than others, but I still believe there are no poorly manufactured inboard boats on the market right now.
Old     (fox)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-06-2007, 5:40 PM Reply   
I would agree with Diggs. I did not sit in a boat at the show this year that did not have it's good points. Sometimes that good point is the price and not just faetures or the name.
Old     (duramaxer)      Join Date: Nov 2006       03-06-2007, 6:00 PM Reply   
Thanks Diggs.
I was just very fustrated with the lack of useful info. Understood that people will defend the purchase they have made. Even though these boats are not priced the same these are what I am looking at for a purchase as they appear to fit both the performance and size (garage space) for me. Although I have never been in either boat except for a boat show and that is why I was looking for some objective views about how these 2 boats perform (not against each other but good points and bad of each as I am sure that each have their own) and if anyone had any maintenance issues that the dealers won't reveal.
Old     (longgonebon)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-07-2007, 4:50 PM Reply   
all i can tell you is i demo'd the 21V and had a tough time getting a surf wake out of it so I didn't buy it. I have not had any experience with the x-2. Oh, and from my searches it looked like the 21V lost it's value rather quickly, which if you are looking for a used one could be a good thing...
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-07-2007, 5:31 PM Reply   
I can certainly disagree with both of larry's comments. I no longer own a 21v but have owned two and sold them both between the range of $43,500 and $48,000 (if you consider that a big loss, than you certainly paid too much) at one year old used. Never had a problem selling any of my 3 Supras for what I wanted. Also, with any boat you need to know how to weight it to surf it. All opinions so not starting a war, but I can support claims with evidence........Nothing against the X2 cause I love it too.....

Upload
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-07-2007, 5:33 PM Reply   
Upload
Old     (longgonebon)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-09-2007, 8:58 AM Reply   
most boats will put out a good surf wake with enough weight... I didn't have enough weight to get a good surf wake out of the 21V, compared to other boats i tried the surf wake smashed down and was tough to keep going i'm a much bigger guy than you judging by the pic. I tried the surf wakes on teh B-52 and VTX for comparison, both were way beter that the 21V with the same weight. The wave in your pic does not look that good either... the 21V i was considering was looking at was 53K loaded with tower speakers, etc. There was a loaded 06 for sale for $42k with 30 hours, at a dealership, and several others in the price range when I was looking. Compared to BU, MC, and others it seemed to not hold it's value as well. It is a nice boat and I'm not bashing it.. just my experience and 2cents.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-09-2007, 9:07 AM Reply   
hmm if you could get a loaded 06' 21V for 42K, you should have bought it and re-sold it. I just sold mine for 48K with 100 hrs. See a Supra can be an investment..... ha ha...
Bottom line is not each boat is for everyone and the point I was trying to convey to the original poster is they are two different boats at two different price points. Not to often you would see people comparing them. Maybe a better comparison would be the 21V and X1?
Old    ausbill32            03-09-2007, 9:34 AM Reply   
You found a 21v loaded for only $42k?? It must have been a ugly color or something because I don't see them going for that low anywhere loaded. I wouldn't sell mine for anything less than $46k and I have $100 hours and 3 year transferrable warranty worth $2k. A lot of pricing also depends on how much stereo money people put into their boats. If I off loaded all that stuff I'd let mine go for $43-$44 maybe.

I love my 2006 21v though and have no intentions of selling it for at least 3-4 years. I like the X2 as well but I couldn't afford that. Best bang for the buck is the Supra line in my opinion. If you got money then buy a mastercraft and just end the discussion. That's the first step in any purchase. How much do you want to spend and then find the best thing in your price range.
Old     (longgonebon)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-09-2007, 9:53 AM Reply   
it did seem like a pretty sweet deal.. it was a nice color (deep blue) and it had the Roswell light/speaker set up/pretty nice stereo. I looked back on my notes from when i was looking and it was actually $44k (sorry about that) still seemed pretty cheap considering the options and low hours.
Old     (cawakeboarder12)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-09-2007, 10:01 AM Reply   
check out the BU VTX
Old     (redsupralaunch)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-09-2007, 4:07 PM Reply   
OK I know im not supposed to hyjack but your already talking about it so

2006 Supra 21V $44,655
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/8/411845.html?1173446113
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-09-2007, 10:41 PM Reply   
seee ...... Good deal ^^^^^^^^^^
Larry does not think there is a good wake or wave behind that. I am sure Chris Walker can show pics to disprove that.....
Just giving you a hard time Larry. To each his own.....
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-09-2007, 10:45 PM Reply   
x2 with mcx....world class ride !!!
Old     (longgonebon)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-10-2007, 8:01 AM Reply   
Hey Tyler... i never said it didn't have a good wakeboarding wake, it actually has an excellent wakebaording wake. The surfwake takes more work than I was willing to put into it. btw- the boat I was mentioning for $44k had 30 hrs... and from a dealership (although one dropping supra)
Old     (longgonebon)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-10-2007, 8:03 AM Reply   
Hey Tyler... i never said it didn't have a good wakeboarding wake, it actually has an excellent wakebaording wake. The surfwake takes more work than I was willing to put into it, could be good as you say but I didn't get that far. I know you are kidding, but just wanted to clarify.
Old     (lfshane132)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-12-2007, 7:07 AM Reply   
supras wake is sick