Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (mhunter)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-19-2012, 5:54 AM Reply   
In early March our Nautique team began rolling out the launch plan for the unveiling of the boat the world has now seen, our revolutionary new Super Air Nautique G23!

When we started executing the launch plan people in our industry almost immediately began asking me if I thought we were building up expectations to an unreachable level. I was reminded many times that we were making a big gamble if we could not deliver on the lofty claims of wakeboard athletes like Shaun Murray who were using words like “game changer” to describe our new G23.

The hype built all through March and by the time we held our unveiling of the new G23, tens of thousands of people had shown interest in the new boat through our website, discussion boards, Facebook and other social media outlets. A big crowd showed up for the unveiling causing us to run out of both parking and room for everyone in the building. Both the webcast, which was well planned, and our Nautique website blew up because such a huge number of people were trying to access it at once. The world wanted to learn about this new Nautique!

Well now the world has seen what we kept for a secret for so long. People have had a chance to experience what we believed would be changing our industry, the all-new Super Air Nautique G23.

The comments have been unbelievable and confirmed exactly what we knew, the boat is amazing. Person after person who has been on the water with the boat has told me how their expectations have not only been met, but have been exceeded! One respected industry leader (and great wakeboarder) rode behind the boat with stock ballast and told me he would be scared to put extra ballast in the boat. In just the first few days since the boat has been introduced two long-time pro wakeboarders, Jeff McKee and JD Webb, have already landed new tricks they have never before been able to land.

The hype was big but if you ask anyone who has experienced the boat – expectations have been met and exceeded! In fact, want an outside opinion? Check out Transworld Wakeboarding Magazine’s review of the G23 at wakeboardingmag.com.

We have already built several of the Super Air Nautique G23’s and full production starts May 1. You will see this new boat on the water this summer!

Want to own the world’s best (by far) wakeboard boat? Contact the Nautique dealer nearest you at nautique.com.

The world’s best ski boat; the world’s best wakeboard boat; and a company that cares…

Enjoy the Nautique life!

Bill Yeargan
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-19-2012, 6:03 AM Reply   
Great write up!!! OPINIONS, there a funny thing? About a month ago it didn't matter what Transworlds OPINION was. But now there mixing your Kool-Aid you drink with enthusiasm!!! I know Nautique doesn't advertise in Transworld,so that wouldn't affect their writeup.
I guess we all have OPINIONS.

Last edited by cwb4me; 04-19-2012 at 6:06 AM.
Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-19-2012, 11:32 AM Reply   
You guys did a great job with the product release.. I was excited to see what nautique had to offer after I was disappointed in the 210 model change in 07. Timing was also perfect for you after mastercrafts flop. i think everyone knew that the boat released would go into production.
Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-19-2012, 11:33 AM Reply   
I think I would have liked to see more branding on wakeworld though... Since I don't subscribe to any wake magazines.
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       04-19-2012, 11:52 AM Reply   
Imagine if the first time the new X-star pulled an event, the transmission or whatever blew up and they had to bring in a second boat to finish like at Wake games? People on WW would have eaten MC alive. I'd still like a G23, no doubt. One of, if not my favorite boat out there right now.
Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       04-19-2012, 11:57 AM Reply   
^^agreed
Old     (ryanbush11)      Join Date: May 2003       04-19-2012, 12:17 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 501s View Post
Imagine if the first time the new X-star pulled an event, the transmission or whatever blew up and they had to bring in a second boat to finish like at Wake games? People on WW would have eaten MC alive. I'd still like a G23, no doubt. One of, if not my favorite boat out there right now.
I'm pretty sure the BroStock supra had problems this year and they had to bring in another Supra to pull the event.... point is boats have problems that have to be worked out!
Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-19-2012, 12:33 PM Reply   
Point is Nautiques are amazing
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       04-19-2012, 12:45 PM Reply   
[QUOTE=mhunter;1745629]

The world’s best ski boat; the world’s best wakeboard boat; and a company that cares…

/QUOTE]

Bold statement. Can't really argue with it, tho. I still ski, so it sure would be nice to have a 200 and a G23 at the dock!

Guy on TT visited MC factory last week. Saw first production X-Star in the water....
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       04-19-2012, 12:45 PM Reply   
Oh ya, I totally agree. All boats have issues, all of them. I don't even care that the G23 had a failure, they at least had backup boats which was smart. My only point is I think the reaction on good O'l WW would hve been much different if it was a "different" brand. I mean we all know CC couldn't have been too happy about their flagship boat breaking down in it's debut right? But really, these thigns happen and I'm sure it has ZERO effect on sales or reputation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanbush11 View Post
I'm pretty sure the BroStock supra had problems this year and they had to bring in another Supra to pull the event.... point is boats have problems that have to be worked out!
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            04-19-2012, 12:59 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 501s View Post
Oh ya, I totally agree. All boats have issues, all of them. I don't even care that the G23 had a failure, they at least had backup boats which was smart. My only point is I think the reaction on good O'l WW would hve been much different if it was a "different" brand. I mean we all know CC couldn't have been too happy about their flagship boat breaking down in it's debut right? But really, these thigns happen and I'm sure it has ZERO effect on sales or reputation.
They prob shouldnt have been pushing it so hard the weekend before lol

This thread better not turn into a damn MB or Tige thread lol
Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       04-19-2012, 1:10 PM Reply   
[QUOTE=lionel;1745726]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhunter View Post

/QUOTE]

Bold statement. Can't really argue with it, tho. I still ski, so it sure would be nice to have a 200 and a G23 at the dock!

Guy on TT visited MC factory last week. Saw first production X-Star in the water....
What thread on TT was it in? Id like to know what he had to say about it.
Old     (lakesurfer)      Join Date: Jul 2009       04-19-2012, 1:20 PM Reply   
I am a big Nati fan even though I own a different brand. With that said, you can not call a wakeboard boat that cost $130K a game changer. That is like saying if Ferrari releases a new car it would be a game changer to the US Auto Industry. Nati will be lucky to sell 100/year. In addition to a new boat, if you own a 1500 truck you would need to buy a diesel. The boat/trailer/gear are going to way over 7,300lbs!

BTW: The local Nati dealer told me that you really need the 450hp engine. They tested one with the 409hp engine with stock ballast full and it was sluggish out of the water.

Last edited by lakesurfer; 04-19-2012 at 1:22 PM.
Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       04-19-2012, 1:29 PM Reply   
100 a year at 130k is 13 mill a year...not too shabby if you ask me lol. Ultimately you have to look at cost of everything. You have to pay engineers that come up with these boats big bucks to do what they do. That's not cheap. What really blows my mind is that in 09 an A22 could be had for like 39,999. Now THAT is game changing. But due to having to add CAT's, paying employees that build these boats we love so much, etc. your cost is gonna go up. Do I think nearly doubling the A22 price in three years can be justified by employee wages CATS etc going up? Hell no. In the end they are in it to make money. Do I blame them? Nope. Making money is what everyone wants to do, right?
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       04-19-2012, 2:15 PM Reply   
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...4&postcount=31
Old     (TroyD)      Join Date: Jan 2012       04-19-2012, 2:46 PM Reply   
Nautique the new MB on Wakeworld...!

I want to see a Z3 versus G23 thread!
That would be epic! Oh, and let's throw in new X-Star too.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       04-19-2012, 2:52 PM Reply   
Z3 vs f24 vs g23 vs cx star smack down to be seen before you know it.
Old     (hyperlite_boards)      Join Date: Aug 2007       04-19-2012, 3:04 PM Reply   
Next time a new boat comes out i dont want any hype, just hit us with a sucker punch. Dont tell anyone and break it out in the first pro event of the year and have everybody like WTF MATE!?

(Obviously this is not possible because nobody can keep their mouth shut)
Old     (mhunter)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-19-2012, 4:07 PM Reply   
jkw quote

BTW: The local Nati dealer told me that you really need the 450hp engine. They tested one with the 409hp engine with stock ballast full and it was sluggish out of the water.

What dealer is that ? Where did they get a test drive?

I don't think its fair to blame Nautique for a PCM failure . Its more likely its just a bad trans
and if the same thing happened to a new MC or other boat I would think the same way.
Old     (Michigantim22)      Join Date: Nov 2011       04-19-2012, 4:16 PM Reply   
Yes it's too much hype. With both a price and a wake too big for the vast majority of the riding population, it will not have enough impact on enough riders to really change any games......other than maybe the pro circuit. Nice boat, maybe even super nice, but enough is enough!
Old     (mhunter)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-19-2012, 4:41 PM Reply   
Just because it can put out a big wake doesn't mean it has to make a big wake. Its not a boat everybody can buy but the R&D will be applied to other boats in the line. What would you think if it came in a 21' for 70-80k loaded ?
Old     (Michigantim22)      Join Date: Nov 2011       04-19-2012, 4:53 PM Reply   
Doesn't make much sense to me to go to the upper extreme limits of a boat purchase (both in price and wake size) and not want to or not be skilled enough to push it to those limits. Somewhat like a couple buying a 5 bedroom 5,000 square foot home for just the two of them. Just buying excess for the sake of saying they can I assume. If they take that r & d and put it in a 21 footer loaded in the 70's, I say market penetration is pretty significant.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       04-19-2012, 4:59 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigantim22 View Post
Doesn't make much sense to me to go to the upper extreme limits of a boat purchase (both in price and wake size) and not want to or not be skilled enough to push it to those limits. Somewhat like a couple buying a 5 bedroom 5,000 square foot home for just the two of them. Just buying excess for the sake of saying they can I assume. If they take that r & d and put it in a 21 footer loaded in the 70's, I say market penetration is pretty significant.
Right, like the Porsche dealership, where everybody is a racecar driver. I've never seen a 65 year old dude buy one of those.

Or a rolex.

It's a status symbol and a tool. But you can't avoid that it's a status symbol.
Old     (lakesurfer)      Join Date: Jul 2009       04-19-2012, 4:59 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplej View Post
Z3 vs f24 vs g23 vs cx star smack down to be seen before you know it.
I would like to add the new Enzo 244
Old     (Michigantim22)      Join Date: Nov 2011       04-19-2012, 5:15 PM Reply   
Is anyone going to dispute that the 65 year old Porshe buyer trying desperately to look 45 and the "let me flaunt my Rolex " guy aren't annoying as hell. They exist to be sure, just don't think that will translate enough for a 130k wake boat to be a game changer.
Old     (mhunter)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-19-2012, 5:35 PM Reply   
People buy what they like not necessarily to max it out .I dont ride with full stock ballast on my 210 and not many of my guests want it full. So I should buy a boat that doesn't have so much available ballast? Keep in mind this is the top of the line flagship its there for those who want the best . Its still a bargain compared to the 30 plus footers and houseboats and you can pull wake boards and surf it. There are plenty of other models and brands to satisfy buyers that cant spend that on a boat.
Old     (TroyD)      Join Date: Jan 2012       04-19-2012, 5:36 PM Reply   
I want someone to clear something up here. How big is the wake actually. A buddy of mine who went to wake games said it looked bout the same as a Star with 3000 lbs. Seems to me I've read that before too. Watching video of the wake, it does look impressive, but not more so than a slammed Star. Anyone here actually ridden it here who is not a Nautique Fan Boy offer some real input? CC has done a good job hyping this but what are the facts?
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       04-19-2012, 5:53 PM Reply   
Quote:
Its still a bargain compared to the 30 plus footers and houseboats and you can pull wake boards and surf it
yea but i cant sleep, eat, or **** in it.
Old     (aarond0083)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-19-2012, 5:53 PM Reply   
Quote:
Just because it can put out a big wake doesn't mean it has to make a big wake. Its not a boat everybody can buy but the R&D will be applied to other boats in the line. What would you think if it came in a 21' for 70-80k loaded ?
The 210 is 80K loaded so I would expect a 21' G model to be more. The G25 is coming next but I am sure a smaller one will come out eventually.

The current 210 is perfect in my opinion. I am biased of course that I've owned a few of them but I don't need a bigger bow or more ballast in my 21' boat. Stock ballast plus people is plenty for us. The wake and surf wave are both awesome.
Old     (fullspeed)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Santa Cruz County CA       04-19-2012, 6:01 PM Reply   
Looking how boat prices have gone up in the past 10 years it is amazing. I understand the cost of living, gas, wages and materials have all gone up, but it has really gotten out of control. $130,000 for a boat!! This is an item that goes down in value every day. You buy this boat for $130,000 drive off the lot and it is worth $100,000 the very next day. Realistically the only way I am going to own one of these so call "Game Changers" is if I bought one 7 years from now for $60,000 or if I won the Lotto.

This doesn't change anyones game if you can't afford one. By the way if someone on this site buys one remember to look me up in 7 years. It will be pretty hard to finance this through any bank. You would have to have perfect credit and own your current home.

At $130,000 with $26,000 down and a 7% rate by the bank. Which in my opinion is what you would probably get. A 5 year loan would be $2,060 a month. 10 year loan would be $1,208 a month.

@ 3% interest for 5 years with $26,000 down your payment is still $1,869 a month. 10 year at 3% is $1,004.
Old     (aarond0083)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-19-2012, 6:08 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullspeed View Post
Looking how boat prices have gone up in the past 10 years it is amazing. I understand the cost of living, gas, wages and materials have all gone up, but it has really gotten out of control. $130,000 for a boat!! This is an item that goes down in value every day. You buy this boat for $130,000 drive off the lot and it is worth $100,000 the very next day. Realistically the only way I am going to own one of these so call "Game Changers" is if I bought one 7 years from now for $60,000 or if I won the Lotto.

This doesn't change anyones game if you can't afford one. By the way if someone on this site buys one remember to look me up in 7 years. It will be pretty hard to finance this through any bank. You would have to have perfect credit and own your current home.

At $130,000 with $26,000 down and a 7% rate by the bank. Which in my opinion is what you would probably get. A 5 year loan would be $2,060 a month. 10 year loan would be $1,208 a month.

@ 3% interest for 5 years with $26,000 down your payment is still $1,869 a month. 10 year at 3% is $1,004.
I would guess the people buying this boat aren't financing 100K+.
Old     (lakesurfer)      Join Date: Jul 2009       04-19-2012, 6:34 PM Reply   
Quote:
Its still a bargain compared to the 30 plus footers and houseboats and you can pull wake boards and surf it.
You must be kidding.
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       04-19-2012, 6:37 PM Reply   
I didn't knows there was a game to have a game changer. It looks like a great boat. I think there are many great boats. I do think there is no such thing as a game changer in a hobby oriented sport. That's like saying a new broom just came out That is a game changer for curling. Let's get down to earth. This is a hobby for a very small limited group of people that have expendable money for toys that most use 10 times ayear at best. This boat will sell to middle aged men, like me, that want something cause it's cool. Then a few serious boarders the dream some day everyone is going to be watching wake boarding like baseball. All the hype did is give reason to bash the company and make something that is suppose to be fun, not so fun. I will say it was very master craft like. Sorry just my opinion
Old     (fman)      Join Date: Nov 2008       04-19-2012, 7:41 PM Reply   
I am curious about the transmission failures? A boat that weighs in at 10,000 lbs with full ballast not only needs a 450Hp motor but a beefed up transmission. Is there anything out there available like this? It seems like the G23 is going to be grenading transmissions with this kind of weight and horsepower on the drivetrain. Did Nautique miss something here?

I love the boat, but for 130k it should be bulletproof and it appears the transmission is a weak link in the boat and was overlooked during production design.
Old     (TroyD)      Join Date: Jan 2012       04-19-2012, 8:34 PM Reply   
Anyone seen the tranny specs? This thing is a godly heavy boat for a 23 footer. I would assume the tranny was beefed up. Otherwise epic fail for CC, thought, can't see any engineer missing out on this one.
Old     (wake2snow)      Join Date: Oct 2010       04-19-2012, 8:43 PM Reply   
Way to much hype for a boat and if you talk to any rider who doesn't ride for nautique they agree the wake is good and only justas big as last years xstar. So I would rather wait for the real game changer and that will be the new xstar. And mastercraft takes time and puts real effort into makeing a real wake for wakeboarding and I have rode be hind many different boats and no wake comes close to a wake behind masterctaft.
Old     (mhunter)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-19-2012, 9:04 PM Reply   
Anyone seen the tranny specs? This thing is a godly heavy boat for a 23 footer. I would assume the tranny was beefed up. Otherwise epic fail for CC, thought, can't see any engineer missing out on this one

2011 XStar 4250 lbs, Malibu 247 4000 lbs, Tom Cat 24 4300 lbs Nautique 230 4300 lbs all of these boats are commonly run with 4000 lbs or more ballast. So all of the competitors are in the 8000-8300 range without plus gas passengers and gear. The G23 weighs 5400 with 2800 lbs ballast that's 8200 seams to be in line with the others. WHY would you think it is anything more than a bad new part.

So I would rather wait for the real game changer and that will be the new xstar. And mastercraft takes time and puts real effort into makeing a real wake for wakeboarding and I have rode be hind many different boats and no wake comes close to a wake behind masterctaft.

Really??? When will that be and how much will it go for?
Old    9Drozd            04-19-2012, 9:21 PM Reply   
I really like the boat and layout, but even used I would not buy it. Unless it was sold minus the motor and I could put my own in it. If im not mistaken the boat only has 2 motor options, and it needs the bigger of the 2, which is supercharged. Add a 1000+ hours and your looking at a serious money pit to keep maintained. If mastercraft has done one thing right out of their serious fail of an x-star, its that they put the right motor in it. For a motor thats going to be used alot with heavy loads, i'll take one thats naturally aspirated any day over one thats force inducted.
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-19-2012, 11:10 PM Reply   
michael. do you know if the G23 at the comp was with additional ballast? I do not know, but I heard 2nd hand (so take that for what its worth) that there were fat sacks being pulled out of the boat when they were unloading it after the comp.

If that was true, it still doesn't mean that they were used.... they may have been put in there just in case.

If extra weight was used over stock, then you will have to put the G23 at well over 9000 lbs plus people. So questioning the transmission on that boat, especially after the tranny broke in it's first contest, is very appropriate to question if it is more than just a "bad new part"
Old     (logan)      Join Date: Dec 2011       04-19-2012, 11:17 PM Reply   
What this comes down to is that a lot of folks are hating on it because they can't have it. I'm willing to bet if all of us could afford it we would have it whether our riding justified it or not. I laughed when I first saw the price, but I gotta admit I would jump all over this boat in a heart beat if I had the means. But I don't, that's what insanely rich friends are for... I don't have any of those either... Axis here I come! hahaha I hope to ride behind a G23 at least once if I can. It is a game changer, can't say it's not. The wake was nuts at wake games and I bet in smooth water a w2w 10 could go down in contest runs no problem. Hats off to Nautique they built a great boat.
Old     (trdon)      Join Date: Sep 2007       04-20-2012, 4:00 AM Reply   
Michael, nothing personal, but the amount of kool-aid you drank makes me embarassed and somewhat ashamed to own a nautique. You aren't doing the company you love any real favors.
Old     (mhunter)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-20-2012, 5:33 AM Reply   
TRDon
A lot has changed since 2003 everybody is building higher quality and better designed models. Have you driven a 200 or 200 sport or even a new 210 the advancements are incredible. The term kool-aid drinker suggests that misleading and false information has been presented to persuade or steer .
Where is the false or misleading information here ? Some of the members here are so quick to attack with name calling, opinion without facts and just plain false information. Where are they now? The best they can come up with is the cost is too high or maybe the trans wont hold up? The G23 is for real. The haters may not like it but that is a fact. Is it for everybody ? No more or less than any of the 23 ' plus super boats .I believe the G23 is the best boat in its class. If I were in that market I would still look at all the others and make the G23 prove it.

johnny
I read somewhere there was an extra 1000 lbs in the boat even at that it was still less than a slammed XStar . I believe it was just a defective trans nothing more. I dont see Nautique spending 3 years on R&D only to introduce it with a weak drive train.
Old     (trdon)      Join Date: Sep 2007       04-20-2012, 6:01 AM Reply   
the term kool aid refers to use swallowling up every little bit of company propaganda and trying to force it down the throat of everybody else. Yes, the g23 is cool, it is a great advancement for nautique, but I really dont understand your incessant neet to defend a company in an attemp to prove a point to people who could not care less.
Old     (TroyD)      Join Date: Jan 2012       04-20-2012, 7:18 AM Reply   
Quote:

So I would rather wait for the real game changer and that will be the new xstar. And mastercraft takes time and puts real effort into makeing a real wake for wakeboarding and I have rode be hind many different boats and no wake comes close to a wake behind mastercraft.

So add 3000-5000 lbs to the G23, then what?

And for you to comment on how much the new star will go for, weren't you justifying the G23's cost easily enough?

Guys like you make me embarrassed to own a CC.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       04-20-2012, 7:22 AM Reply   
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-20-2012, 8:01 AM Reply   
So far, it's a lot of hype. Nice boat but it still looks like the Moomba Mojo to me on the front.
Old     (MattieK27)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-20-2012, 8:22 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by trdon View Post
Michael, nothing personal, but the amount of kool-aid you drank makes me embarassed and somewhat ashamed to own a nautique. You aren't doing the company you love any real favors.
Yep. Is there a way to add people to an ignore list like in other forums? I love Nautiques, but this propaganda is awful and so incredibly near sited.

Quote:
Keep in mind this is the top of the line flagship its there for those who want the best . Its still a bargain compared to the 30 plus footers and houseboats and you can pull wake boards and surf it.
Around 150k, 33 ft Sea Ray that sleeps 6+, a bathroom, two refrigerators, heat, air, tvs, dvd and stereo system, twin 350 Mercs with Axius, etc. Believe it or not I have wakeboarded behind it, and if it would have been purchased with v-drives instead of the stern drives I would surf it too. Bargain and Nautique don't belong in the same post, period.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       04-20-2012, 8:25 AM Reply   
Sorry for the thread jack, but since we are talking how boat costs are going up, and the following comment was made, I just wanted to provide some pertinent info in response thereto:

Quote:
What really blows my mind is that in 09 an A22 could be had for like 39,999. Now THAT is game changing. But due to having to add CAT's, paying employees that build these boats we love so much, etc. your cost is gonna go up. Do I think nearly doubling the A22 price in three years can be justified by employee wages CATS etc going up? Hell no. In the end they are in it to make money. Do I blame them? Nope. Making money is what everyone wants to do, right?
In 2009, the A22 was released with "Introductory Pricing" of $39,999 base. This was a no-frills base model boat.

In 2010, the A22 retail base went to $42,995 for the same boat. The interior was upgraded somewhat for 2010.

In 2011, the A22 retail base went to $44,500 for the same boat. There were some other interior design changes/upgrades made

In 2012, the A22 retail base went to $46,200 for the same boat with a redesigned platform, another interior revision.

So, in 4 model years the price of the base model A22 has gone up approximately $6k. Consider increased material costs (many of which are oil based), logistics costs, etc. these increases are what they are. Let's not kid ourselves, I'm sure there is some profit in there, but not a whole lot.

I think what people are seeing as Axis pricing relates to the fact that Axis customers wanted more options - huge motor, big wetsounds stereo, tricked out trailer, z5, and wanted to add them to their A22's to make them badass. All that stuff ads up. Yes, a fully loaded A22 costs somewhere in the neighborhood of mid-60’s. Sure, that's a lot of money, but that's for a loaded out boat with tons and tons of options that were not even offered in '09. I guess Axis could have just refused to offer more options, and kept the max price of their boats lower, but I'm not sure that makes any sense.

Just food for thought.
Old     (ryanbush11)      Join Date: May 2003       04-20-2012, 8:25 AM Reply   
Quote:
Anyone seen the tranny specs? This thing is a godly heavy boat for a 23 footer. I would assume the tranny was beefed up. Otherwise epic fail for CC, thought, can't see any engineer missing out on this one

2011 XStar 4250 lbs, Malibu 247 4000 lbs, Tom Cat 24 4300 lbs Nautique 230 4300 lbs all of these boats are commonly run with 4000 lbs or more ballast. So all of the competitors are in the 8000-8300 range without plus gas passengers and gear. The G23 weighs 5400 with 2800 lbs ballast that's 8200 seams to be in line with the others. WHY would you think it is anything more than a bad new part.

So I would rather wait for the real game changer and that will be the new xstar. And mastercraft takes time and puts real effort into makeing a real wake for wakeboarding and I have rode be hind many different boats and no wake comes close to a wake behind masterctaft.

Who commonly runs 4k+ of ballast?? i know a lot of people that ride and i would say the average is 1-2k.... i run 4,000lbs pounds in my Malibu and most people think i'm crazy
Old     (mhunter)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-20-2012, 8:39 AM Reply   
Who commonly runs 4k+ of ballast?? i know a lot of people that ride and i would say the average is 1-2k.... i run 4,000lbs pounds in my Malibu and most people think i'm crazy
How does your trans hold up to that weight?
Old     (mhunter)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-20-2012, 8:51 AM Reply   
Chatt is absolutely correct so the G23 is not 130k its base is 107k list take 10% off for discount you should be able to get one for 96k. Looks like it compares with other boats in its class. You guys try to bring it down with your nitpicking but nobody has come up with a single fact to prove the G23 isn't everything it was advertised to be. Keep trying maybe you can come up with something?
Old     (ryanbush11)      Join Date: May 2003       04-20-2012, 9:01 AM Reply   
Quote:
How does your trans hold up to that weight?
how is that relevant? my boat weights 2,000lbs less than the G23 and doesn't have 500hp... LOL
Old     (ryanbush11)      Join Date: May 2003       04-20-2012, 9:03 AM Reply   
Quote:
Chatt is absolutely correct so the G23 is not 130k its base is 107k list take 10% off for discount you should be able to get one for 96k. Looks like it compares with other boats in its class. You guys try to bring it down with your nitpicking but nobody has come up with a single fact to prove the G23 isn't everything it was advertised to be. Keep trying maybe you can come up with something?

Nobody has even set down in out of these boats and you feel like you need to start a thread defending the boat, maybe that's why everyone is nitpicking it?

do you even own one of these boats? how are you affiliated with Natique?
Old     (lakesurfer)      Join Date: Jul 2009       04-20-2012, 9:08 AM Reply   
Quote:
You will not be able to touch that boat for under $110K. The guys at Buxton have sold 2 or 3 already and they went for around $130K with the 450hp engine (at least that is what I was told yesterday). I am sure these boats were well optioned with trailer, in-boat options, etc.

Note: I am a big fan of the Buxton team. So more power to them if they can sell the G23 for $130K.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       04-20-2012, 9:11 AM Reply   
Quote:
It's a really really expensive wakeboat with a wake that reflects its weight.

A couple of interesting tidbits here: http://www.planetnautique.com/vb3/co...-Our-Questions!

First:

Quote:
The wake in the launch videos was created with factory ballast, 5-6 people and 1400 pounds of additional ballast to make up for only having so few people on the boat. The limiting factor will be the rider!
Now it's cool that all that extra weight can be hidden, but it's still a lot of weight. 5500 (dry) + 1400 + 2850 = 9750... before you count a single human, life vest, etc. That's a lot of freakin weight and the wake better be massive.

Second:

Quote:
I was wake skating as slow as 20 mph and the wake was very clean… I am sure you can reduce the speed even below that.
Will it clean up at 16-17 like a bu or axis will? This might not be the best boat to train jr. to ride behind.

Didn't they use a 210 to pull the jr categories at wake games?
Old     (wake2snow)      Join Date: Oct 2010       04-20-2012, 9:27 AM Reply   
tthe boat at wake games was running additional weight in the boat just like in any other comp sacks in both rear compartments and sacks up front and most people who put additional weight in the boat run 2k plus
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-20-2012, 11:40 AM Reply   
As I read the post it looked like more hype but as I read for some real world feedback it appears that more hype is not working.

I was shocked to read that an "industry leader and good wakeboarder" was scared to put more ballast in. Seriously??? I'm probably not as good a rider as the industry leader but boy do I love trying to ride a new slammed wake. My first ride behind my friends new 230 fully loaded (and coming off my crossover Sunsetter) was joyous. I never thought about being fearful.... My wife noted the look on my face when I first saw the wake was OMG but all smiles as I approached it the whole day. I was giddy.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-20-2012, 11:49 AM Reply   
I don't think he's affiliated: http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=792683
Old     (ryanbush11)      Join Date: May 2003       04-20-2012, 12:01 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by srock View Post
As I read the post it looked like more hype but as I read for some real world feedback it appears that more hype is not working.

I was shocked to read that an "industry leader and good wakeboarder" was scared to put more ballast in. Seriously??? I'm probably not as good a rider as the industry leader but boy do I love trying to ride a new slammed wake. My first ride behind my friends new 230 fully loaded (and coming off my crossover Sunsetter) was joyous. I never thought about being fearful.... My wife noted the look on my face when I first saw the wake was OMG but all smiles as I approached it the whole day. I was giddy.

I'm here with ya, I don't have the best bag of tricks and i struggle quite a bit on my toeside... but i'll ride the biggest wake you can put out there... I've rode with a lot of guys who were sponsored and none of them have ever asked me to take weight out of my boat... now a few have told me it's the biggest wake they have ever rode though
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       04-20-2012, 12:03 PM Reply   
FYI, all I've been told about the pricing of the G23 is that the msrp of a nicely equipped on was over $135k. That was from an acquaintance who is ordering one.
Old     (GotWake)      Join Date: Nov 2010       04-20-2012, 12:16 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattwake View Post
FYI, all I've been told about the pricing of the G23 is that the msrp of a nicely equipped on was over $135k. That was from an acquaintance who is ordering one.
More like $139ish with trailer and 450 hp engine without the factory tower speakers.
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-20-2012, 12:19 PM Reply   
Quote:
I spoke to the dealer in Texas and they sold a nicely equiped one with the 550hp engine right after the boat was introduced for 130k, sold similarly equiped one for 120k with the 450
Old     (mark197)      Join Date: Dec 2009       04-20-2012, 1:31 PM Reply   
Quote:
This is funny I bought my house nicely equipped for under $130K. Don't get me wrong I like the boat but where do these prices as an industry quit? Is it $150K $200K?? Where will we be in ten years?
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       04-20-2012, 4:59 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark197 View Post
This is funny I bought my house nicely equipped for under $130K. Don't get me wrong I like the boat but where do these prices as an industry quit? Is it $150K $200K?? Where will we be in ten years?
"One million dollars!!!"

Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       04-20-2012, 5:10 PM Reply   
^^hahahahaha
Old     (logan)      Join Date: Dec 2011       04-20-2012, 5:24 PM Reply   
Jesus christ, who cares how much the boat costs. Let's go back to the old rule... "If you have to ask, you can't afford it."
Old     (Indyxc)      Join Date: Jul 2011       04-20-2012, 5:52 PM Reply   
Here is an outside perspective, for someone who wakeboards, but isn't a professional.

Calling this boat a game changer really puts in perspective how far wakeboats have drifted from the mainstream. This is a game changer for who? Professional and tour riders? Yeah maybe. For the average rider, this thing is a joke. 100k for a boat, and gas pushing 8000 lbs around? Yeah, ok.

No doubt this boat is a great boat. IF I had millions, or a household income north of 500k, I'd consider it. But the game changer? For who ? To me game changer is something that elevates the sport as a whole, no the elite riders. The Ferrari comment was spot on.
Old     (logan)      Join Date: Dec 2011       04-20-2012, 6:06 PM Reply   
I might be echoing but I think Axis was/is a game changer. Making it possible for people to get great boats with great wakes and cool style for a good deal? That's a game changer... I really am starting to consider going to an A22, but it's tough to think of not riding that original SAN 210 hull...
Old     (lakesurfer)      Join Date: Jul 2009       04-20-2012, 7:08 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyxc View Post
Here is an outside perspective, for someone who wakeboards, but isn't a professional.

Calling this boat a game changer really puts in perspective how far wakeboats have drifted from the mainstream. This is a game changer for who? Professional and tour riders? Yeah maybe. For the average rider, this thing is a joke. 100k for a boat, and gas pushing 8000 lbs around? Yeah, ok.

No doubt this boat is a great boat. IF I had millions, or a household income north of 500k, I'd consider it. But the game changer? For who ? To me game changer is something that elevates the sport as a whole, no the elite riders. The Ferrari comment was spot on.
As I said before, I really like Nati but this is exactly right.
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-20-2012, 10:48 PM Reply   
Logan... I feel your pain. The A22 wake and the Original SAN 210 are polar opposites as far as wake shapes are concerned. Do what I have done, buy the A22 and make a friend with a SAN 210 owner and then just alternate boats every time you guys ride... the best of both worlds.
Old     (logan)      Join Date: Dec 2011       04-20-2012, 11:21 PM Reply   
I'm sure I will be ok making the transition, I've ridden a lot of wake setter's in my day so I'm not too worried. I have heard nothing but good things about the wake, worst case scenario, pack it with weight add 5ft and a few mph... haha
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-20-2012, 11:28 PM Reply   
4000 lbs, 24.2 mph, 80 feet = $
Old     (logan)      Join Date: Dec 2011       04-20-2012, 11:33 PM Reply   
if you bring that thing up north let me know we should hook up i would love to check the wake out
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-20-2012, 11:37 PM Reply   
the farthest north I will be going is to Don Pedro in September... is that north enough?
Old     (logan)      Join Date: Dec 2011       04-20-2012, 11:50 PM Reply   
that's very north enough! I'm only a few hours from there. I have a 2003 SAN 210 so if you want to hit that wake it will be more than available.