Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 30, 2004

Old    edward            10-11-2004, 11:49 AM Reply   
how many michigan riders have stopped boarding for the winter? its getting kinda cold here and it sucks. our lake is pretty shallow and changes temp quickly so it may get 75-80 in the summer but now it is about 60-65 with the temps and its been pretty windy these last couple of weekends which sucks. we got out twice this weekend and got some glass both times which was nice but the wet suit only helps so much. we pulled our boat out but didn't winterize it yet and are probably going to go do some riding with guys we know with a wakesetter w/ a heater for most of our riding from now on. i don't know how much riding i got left this year hows everyone else dealing with old man winter comin in?
Old     (wiltok)      Join Date: Feb 2003       10-11-2004, 11:55 AM Reply   
I'm getting ready to pack it in. This weekend is supposed to be low around 30 and highs 40-50. That is too cold for me - and I doubt we will have much warmer temps...
Old     (shredhead)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-11-2004, 12:24 PM Reply   
My lake is 7 miles south of the state line. I pulled my boat last weekend. We had a great fall, but it looks like temps are about to take a plunge and I don't want my boat to freeze up.
Old     (oulaxster25)      Join Date: Feb 2004       10-11-2004, 1:33 PM Reply   
We pulled the boat this weekend. Wish I was able to get out one last time, but there is always next year. This weekend was really choppy so I didnt want to get cold and have a bad last session for the year.
Old    edward            10-11-2004, 3:08 PM Reply   
has anybody been out with a dry suit? did it work well or did your hands and feet get really cold? also has anyone put in there own hot shower? we're putting in a heater and is the it a good idea to get the hot shower too? also which one did you get and do you like it?
Old     (balr54)      Join Date: May 2004       10-11-2004, 3:44 PM Reply   
I live in Rome City Indiana, about 25 min south of the michigan border and we braved the temps to go out. It was worth it because we had some of our best rides of the year. We were going until the end of October last year. All the cold water does is give us more of an incentive not to screw up and fall and actually land tricks! I might have to break out the wetsuit if we go out again though!!!
Old     (lugwrench)      Join Date: Jul 2002       10-12-2004, 5:56 AM Reply   
Still riding, using my shorty though. But its amazing how quickly you tire when the water is cold. We usually go until the last weekend in October.
Old     (yooper)      Join Date: Jun 2002       10-12-2004, 8:08 AM Reply   
My last day was probably yesterday. It was really nice out, but temps in the U.P. are starting to get into the 30's now overnight, so the water is getting cold quick.
Yesterday was so nice, though I only wore a 1mil neoprene top with shorts. Nice weather is coming to a screeching halt, though........ Snow by Friday.
Old     (shredhead)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-12-2004, 10:31 AM Reply   
Edward:

We were out a dawn both Saturday and Sunday. Air in the 40's and water about 65. I was in a 3/2 wet suit with no problems, but my feet got cold when I was in the boat and you didn't want to sit in the back in the wind. Drysuits are good when its really cold, you can wear neo gloves and maybe booties. But at a certain point your face starts to freeze off and then its time to quit.

I think that a heater is more usefull, but get both if you can.

Old    edward            10-12-2004, 5:43 PM Reply   
well my dad said for sure we be getting a heater so thats cool and i think we should be able to get by with that and a full wetsuit for alittle while longer. in front of our cottage tho its only gets to waist deep untill 200 ft at the drop off and its about knee high when where we park our boat about 75ft out and tehn its another 100ft of pushing before we can drive our boat. we have a hole dug where we park it and slowly geting a channel with digging and we our now using a weedwacker thingy with a rototiller attachment to break up the ground so it is mushy and washes away but it seems like that 100ft is an eternity when digging. the water drops in the winter when they pull some boards from the damn and we sometimes get another 25ft of sandy/silt lakefront which isn't good for our inboard and is mainly y we pulled ours because with my dad on the bow and me still have to lift and push teh boat out is getting harder and harder.so that sucks. man krupp it does encourage us to land our tricks first try but then it also discourages us from trying new stuff, like i was going to ts front but i was edging in ts thinking i know i'm just gonna land on my back and that water is cold!
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       10-18-2004, 6:46 AM Reply   
We ride until December - usually with wetsuits. We use warm water in squit bottles to put water into our suits before we get into the water to ride. It keeps us warmer.

When it is this cold, we usually only have one run of about 15 minutes and then get into the snow suit to warm up while the others ride.

It is the best time for glass calm water though. Only a few fishermen and duck hunters to contend with. Go figure.
Old     (balr54)      Join Date: May 2004       10-18-2004, 7:32 AM Reply   
I don't think we are going to put up the boat until at least november. We didn't make it out this weekend becuase it was so windy the whole weekend but it is supposed to be pretty nice by wednesday, temps in the the mid 60's.

(Message edited by balr54 on October 18, 2004)
Old     (aspenshayn)      Join Date: Apr 2004       10-18-2004, 10:26 AM Reply   
Enjoy it as long as you can. I'm from michigan and miss the extra time on the lakes. when we get out of the lake here in Aspen we can hardly move from the cold. oh and that's in august. 2 weeks ago I laid under the hot shower for about 5 min. before I could even talk. Had to put it away after that.