Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through December 15, 2008

Old     (sanger)      Join Date: May 2002       09-26-2008, 12:35 PM Reply   
Anyone have the KM620s installed? If so would you recommend them?Upload
Old     (brit_rider)      Join Date: May 2004       09-26-2008, 4:12 PM Reply   
This is the most popular speaker I sell - for all the brands I offer and all the speakers we've installed nothing comes close for the money.

The Wetsounds 6.5" drivers are the only marine specifics that comes to mind that are any better but they are more pricey...

Upsides of the KM620 is its awesome bass (for a 6.5), warm sound and tidy install options (comes with little wiring tidy boxes and can be installed with the rear visible in a locker whilst still looking tidy.... downsides being the grill is rather fragile... I've had quite a few break. The speakers solid but they really need to get on the grill design...

Hope that helps.. I am biased as I sell Kicker< but carry several other brands also thus have tried to be fair....
Old     (sanger)      Join Date: May 2002       09-26-2008, 6:07 PM Reply   
Brit thanks for the input, I'm ordering 2 pair today.
Old     (fullspeed)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Santa Cruz County CA       10-01-2008, 11:16 AM Reply   
Let me tell you what suck about those sleakers. The plastic that holds the tweeter speaker in the center is weak and breaks with little pressure. I have the same speakers and I have two that are broken right now. Both the ones I have in the bow are snapped and I already need to replace them.

I recommend the Polks.
Old     (sanger)      Join Date: May 2002       10-01-2008, 5:26 PM Reply   
I’ve already installed the Kickers so guess I’ll give it a go. I’m sure they’ll break because that’s how it always works! When I originally talked to the Crutchfield rep he cautioned me that the Polks could not handle much water on them and that the Kicker was a better suited speaker for the marine environment. The trick is not to break them
Old    falcon_v            10-01-2008, 8:56 PM Reply   
I would call BS on that polk has bean used for longer than kicker on the water. They are top notch. No offense Crutchfield is a rip. Go to Polk audio website and look. Sory not trying to be rude but you were lied to.
Old     (bjeremi)      Join Date: Mar 2006       10-01-2008, 9:00 PM Reply   
I think Chris has a secret love affair with Polk's
Old     (bjeremi)      Join Date: Mar 2006       10-01-2008, 9:03 PM Reply   
I am just ribbing you though Chris, I kind of have a crush on kicker.
Old     (sanger)      Join Date: May 2002       10-02-2008, 6:34 AM Reply   
You’re not rude to me. I purchased my speakers from another online store. Crutchfield can be helpful with product questions but not perfect. If the Kickers don’t work I’ll try Polk next time.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-02-2008, 7:35 AM Reply   
Brannon,

You should be able to get those replaced under warranty if you purchased through an authorized retailer.

The only issue I have with Polk's is how they look after only a year. I've seen a few sets that were faded, the chrome was peeling, and the screws were not SS and were rusting. One of these boats was still in dealer stock and has 0 hours on it. Sound quality is fantastic. Not saying every model of Polk speakers are this way, just one that previous installer was using on my dealer's boats.
Old     (sanger)      Join Date: May 2002       10-02-2008, 9:13 AM Reply   
The Polks on Crutchfield do say they are certified for marine use and have stainless steel hardware. TigeMike are these the ones the previous installer used?

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?g=228350&i=107DB651&tp=3384
Old     (brit_rider)      Join Date: May 2004       10-06-2008, 4:55 PM Reply   
Having used both I'd still give the thumbs up to Kicker. the Polks sound great, look the part and the grills are better... but there's no way they can stand upto marine use like the Kickers - they also don't sound quote as good as the kickers, nor is the bass response anything like as good (though possibly not an issue if running subs).

The kicker was designed as a marine speaker from the ground up where as the polk is really a car audio speaker with stainless screws - I've seen far more failures in those than in the Kickers. IN fact, only failure I've seen in the Kickers has been the previously mentioned poor grill design.