Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 28, 2004

Old    live2wakeboard            07-26-2004, 9:54 PM Reply   
Wats up i have been hearing about alot of disslocated shoulders and blown out knees and i was just wondering if there were some tips on not getting serious injurys cuz like i just bought a new VLX and i am picking it up on Thursday and i don't want to get our there and disslocate a shoulder or blow out a knee so if u have any tips please tell me and also if u know any tricks that can cause injurys tell me and tell me wat to look out for!! Thanks TY
Old     (lumpy9138)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-26-2004, 11:07 PM Reply   
The only tip I can give is don't wakeboard. Seriuosly, it can happen on just about anything. I'm usually sore from something every time I ride.(Could be cause I fall alot)
Just enjoy the riding. If something happens, it happens.
Old     (gherk)      Join Date: Aug 2001       07-26-2004, 11:10 PM Reply   
Well recently it seems like my entire crew is getting hurt, myself included. I think the best thing for any person involved in sports activities is to do your body right. Hit the gym and make sure your physically fit to do whatever it is you are wanting to do. After having constant shoulder pain from trying 3's a few years ago, I started lifting weights pretty religiously and my shoulder pain went away and I know my muscles were more equiped to handle the strain I was putting them through. I stopped working out two years ago and now I think my shoulder is acting up again and I dislocated it last winter for the first time in my life. No reoccurence yet, but I fear that if I dont get back into the gym its going to happen again and I might do more damage to it and other parts of my body. Its probably a lot easier to go the extra mile now than to go through rehab later and still never be able to perform at that level again.
Old    wakechick            07-27-2004, 5:12 AM Reply   
Wear full body armour - knee braces, back braces, helmet, head gear

Just kidding. Like Paul said, hit the gym and just keep your body in good shape. Remember to land with SOFT KNEES....I used to land very straight-legged and it got me in trouble. I wouldn't be too paranoid about getting hurt though. Yes, there have been a ton of posts lately about injuries, but you aren't hearing from all of the people who have never had an injury. I know plenty of people who have never been injured riding. Just relax and have fun with it, and don't stress too much about getting hurt.
Old    upupnaway            07-27-2004, 5:21 AM Reply   
In my experience, Trying to save a trick is what causes me the most pain.
Were I to let the handle go when I got strung out in the air, I would be fine.
But, I tend to hold on until all hope is gone, assuring a nice slap into the water.
If you are unsure about landing safe, take the advice of John Rambo in first blood: "Let it go....let it go."
Old    live2wakeboard            07-27-2004, 9:56 AM Reply   
Thanks and i won't stres to much about getting hurt and thanks for all the tips
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-27-2004, 10:37 AM Reply   
I have been riding for 21 years without an injury.
Old    swass            07-27-2004, 10:40 AM Reply   
Oh, dude...you just jinxed yourself. Get that insurance premium in the mail!
Old    live2wakeboard            07-27-2004, 3:24 PM Reply   
Is it easy to get a concusion or do u really have to hit the water just right to get a concusion cuz i don't even see how hitting the water would make u get a concusion
Old    maltesecross            07-27-2004, 3:52 PM Reply   
concussions can happen by just hitting the water and while wearing a helmet. The best advice is to take a rest after a hard fall and wait for the next set. Most folks keep going after getting rattled. At that point, the dizziness, loss of sense of balance, and delayed reaction on tricks or not letting go before the next big fall can lead to the ole' concussion. My theory from what happened to a friend about a month ago. He took 2 really hard slams on w2w 180 within a few minutes of each other and the 3rd one that made him forget what day it was a really bad slam, but as he fell toward the boat where he normally would have let go, he didn't (probably didn't know his position in the air).
Old     (rson)      Join Date: Jun 2002       07-27-2004, 3:56 PM Reply   
Ahhhhh, you can get injured going down the stairs. Why not do it while you are doing something fun!!!

PS: Want a killer wake on your VLX, put a full size sac in the front, trust me...it is scary and mean.
Old    wakechick            07-28-2004, 5:05 AM Reply   
live2wakeboard, if you catch an edge and smack the water hard enough it is very easy to get a concussion. I've had a mild concussion before from catching my heelside edge on a 360 attempt - I under rotated and caught the back edge and slammed the water really hard. It's only happened once to me though in the 10 years I have been riding. Maybe I just jinxed myself as well.....