Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through December 15, 2008

Old     (bloat)      Join Date: Jan 2007       10-23-2008, 8:56 AM Reply   
I've been looking for some decent but affordable Lights.
Has anyone used these....are they bright enough for surfing??
Also...is white the brightest?? I was thinking white/blue or green....but I'm thinking white might be the brightest.

Malibu OEM Style
http://bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=828

Abyss Knock Off?
http://www.bulletlines.com/servlet/the-Under-Water-LEDs/Categories
Old     (liljohn)      Join Date: May 2007       10-23-2008, 9:17 AM Reply   
I am using these and think there great. plus they are 25% off till this weekend. personaly I would stick with white. thats what i have and in clear water wee can see 20-25 feet down in the water.
Old     (ian_ashton)      Join Date: Jul 2008       10-23-2008, 9:50 AM Reply   
The Bullet Lines lights also claim to be 10 lumins brighter than the Abyss lights. I don't know if thats a lot or not, but brighter is surely better, lol.
Old     (bloat)      Join Date: Jan 2007       10-23-2008, 9:56 AM Reply   
I like the Bullet Lines one too..I called them an "abyss Knock off" but I know they are prolly just as good....Just not sure which setup to go with.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-23-2008, 10:38 AM Reply   
I picked up the 08 factory LEDs from our local Malibu dealer (CdA Yacht Club) for about $20 (ea.) less than Bakes is listing them. Their white & very bright, but only light up maybe 15' or 20' back & maybe 5' or 8' down.
There are a few pics of them in my Photobucket gallery here.

(Message edited by bill_airjunky on October 23, 2008)
Old     (bloat)      Join Date: Jan 2007       10-23-2008, 11:08 AM Reply   
Bill, how do you find them for surfing at night?? Do you use additional tower lighting??
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-23-2008, 11:41 AM Reply   
We don't surf at night. About all we do is booze cruise at night, swim, goof off, etc. And the LEDs are great for that.
Old     (bulletlines)      Join Date: Apr 2005       10-23-2008, 9:17 PM Reply   
Jim,

Our underwater transom LEDs were designed to out perform Abyss in brightness, less heat, power consumption, and peak emitting light angle (ours are 180 degrees versus Abyss 110 degrees).. Bullet Lines' LEDs are in no way a knock off: they are overall a better product.

Thanks,

Ken Land
Bullet Lines
www.bulletlines.com
Old     (bloat)      Join Date: Jan 2007       10-24-2008, 8:22 AM Reply   
Ken,

I prolly shouldn't have called your product a knock off. They just look very similar to the Abyss product. The question mark after "Abyss knock off?" asks if they are a knock off.
More than anything, I just want people to pipe in and tell me what they think of those two products. I'm glad you did.
Old     (liquidlite)      Join Date: Sep 2007       10-24-2008, 3:43 PM Reply   
how tough is it to install these? anyone replace their regular docking lights with LEDs?
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-24-2008, 4:27 PM Reply   
The install of the Malibu lighting is a breeze. I drilled 6 small holes in the transom, 4 for screws, 2 for wires. I filled the holes with white bathtub caulk. Ran the wires to the interior LED circuit the previous owner had installed which goes up to one of the ACC switches on the dash.

Not sure what "docking lights" are. You mean the headlights? Or tower lights? Or stern light? Mine are all separate circuits.
Old     (liquidlite)      Join Date: Sep 2007       10-25-2008, 10:28 AM Reply   
The headlights. On my moomba they are regular bulbs which do not light up the way a whole lot. I thought about replacing them with LEDs, but not sure if this is possible.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-25-2008, 12:33 PM Reply   
Looks like the newer Malibu's have an LED docking light available as an option.

Upload

Or I found these lights on iBoats using Google.
Old     (riverside)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-27-2008, 2:45 PM Reply   
are there any pics of the bullet lines leds in action?the specs say 6W ? vs the abyss 12w
Old     (bloat)      Join Date: Jan 2007       10-29-2008, 9:34 AM Reply   
There will prolly be a group buy on some under water LEDS on planetnautique.com........
.........I also would like some pics/feedback on the bullet lines......
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       05-11-2011, 11:01 AM Reply   
i bought some of the Lumitech Seablaze 3 underwater LEDs in green the other day. havent done the install yet, but hooked them up to a battery to do a little test.. all i know is i was really suprised at how bright those things were.. lit up a 6 car garage like freakin Christmas with just two lights.. they were 200$ a pop and i cant wait to see what they do in the water! specs are:
Voltage: 10 to 30 VDC Current: 1.9A @ 12 VDC, 0.95A @ 24VDC