Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (rawbdiggity)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-31-2007, 1:54 PM Reply   
this boat has a strange design at the back of the hull does this affect the surf or wakeboard wake? cat%2C147,http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=389&ssid=1505625&rurl=nid,218,ad,150 5625,lpid,,cat,147
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-31-2007, 5:22 PM Reply   
That is a strange looking cut-out at the transom. I'll bet if you had posted this in the "boats" forum, you'd get some response. There's got to be someone that has that set up. I'd be curious to know what the theory of that is.
Old     (masonwakerider)      Join Date: May 2003       07-31-2007, 5:39 PM Reply   
thats an elite v from 98-05 same as a lightning or air warrior. It will surf for sure.
Text description
Text description
thats with 550 in the back and 250# in the nose and a bunch of people on the side

i think ed has one to
Old     (masonwakerider)      Join Date: May 2003       07-31-2007, 5:44 PM Reply   
as for the cut out it is a hull extension the boat was built off the sport bow rider that centurion added a foot to the back and tapered the sides out. Its kinda of funky, the new elite v's have a new hull design that are better.

my profile has a wakeboard pic

(Message edited by masonwakerider on July 31, 2007)
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-31-2007, 7:59 PM Reply   
Same hull as my boat, a 2004 Lightning. I've experimented with filling in the spray pockets and the hull extension. Turns out that those features improve the surfing wake. However, I think that the ski boat nature of the hull makes this hull more challenging than a modern wakeboard hull. I run 2,000 to 2,800 pounds of ballast. With that much weight I get a pretty good surf wake but trust me 2,800 pounds is too much.

I find that I have to get the boat to lean very hard to get a good surf wake. All that said, I have yet to surf a better wake than that of my Mighty Centurion!!

See a this video for Regular side wake with a crew of five-six and 2,400 pounds. http://www.wakeboardmidwest.com/membergalleriesDefault.aspx?galleryid=155&p=1&s=#m edia

Here’s the goofy wake with a smaller crew and about 2,400 pounds. http://www.wakesurf.net/media/showphoto.php/photo/271

That's a 9'6" board, the rider is pretty far back, over 20 feet
Upload

She's riding a Broadcast 5.6, also riding very far back
Upload
Old     (masonwakerider)      Join Date: May 2003       08-04-2007, 7:31 PM Reply   
Ed since we are on the topic do you have a trim tab on your boat and does it help shape the surf wake. I havent reached the level of weight that you do, we surfed this weekend with 2000# and 7 people. But i cant get the wake that clean that long. When i go faster then norm i get a roster tail off the prop that messes up the wave.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       08-05-2007, 4:44 PM Reply   
WA

2,000 pounds and 7 peps is plenty, really more than enough.

Yes, I have a hydraulic trim tab. If you would have asked me about it last year I would have said up (0%) for regular surf and down (100%) for goofy surf. I’ve since learned a little more about weighting and using the trim tab on the old Lightning hull.

I set the trim tab to something greater than 0% if I'm running slow or if I have too much weight in the stern. I ride a variety of boards and with some range of setups. The smallest board that I ride is a tiny Trick Boardz free style. I ride this board really slow, any where from 8.5 to 9 mph. At that speed the boat comes off plan a little more than at normal surfing speeds. When I surf this board we set the trim tab to 100% and the wake goes from mush to clean and surfable.

To get a long pocket I put a fair amount of weight in the bow. I put 270 pounds of bag weight under the seat cushions – to the front and surf side. A put a 400 pound sack in the bow surf side. I also pout 80 pounds of bar bell weights on the surf side tower. That's a low of weight in the bow. At idle speeds I have to really watch on coming waves, or they’ll come over the bow.

The main reason why I used to say the trim tab should be set down for goofy and up for regular was/is that my goofy surfers ride slower than I do. I didn’t start riding slower until late in the season last year.

It looks like you want to find the right pitch and roll and maintain that pitch and roll at the same speeds. I bet that as you speed up beyond normal surf speeds (10 to 11 mph) you need more weight in the back of the boat to offset coming on plane.

With my current set up I’m getting a rooster tail around 12 mph, so we’ve been surfing 11.5 and below.
Old     (masonwakerider)      Join Date: May 2003       08-06-2007, 5:44 PM Reply   
Good to know, i run a 750# in the locker 500# on the bench and an integrated bow which is 750# in the nose. I'll try a more weight in the stern and see if i can speed up a bit. Our speedo's went out this year so the speed was more of a guess right about 2200rpms is what works for us. But i think the trannys have different ratios in 04 and 01.
As for the trim tabs i have been thinking about trying two tabs, on on each side like they do with larger boats. I was thinking this would allow you to better control the lean angle of the boat. Im not sure how it will work our though because the transom of the boat is not flat accros.

(Message edited by masonwakerider on August 06, 2007)
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       08-06-2007, 6:08 PM Reply   
I'd like to hear how two trim tabs works out.

I proped down from 12 inches to 10.5.
Old     (dentard)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-10-2007, 2:11 PM Reply   
My trim tabs work well: 12"X36". I need to change my prop also, but it's a bit of project. CurtisUpload
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       08-10-2007, 2:51 PM Reply   
Curtis, been a while since I've seen you post. How's the jumbo surf boat? The wake looks huge.
Old     (dentard)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-10-2007, 3:29 PM Reply   
Waiting for good water at this point. Wake is pretty nice.
Old     (michealhoward)      Join Date: May 2007       08-10-2007, 5:02 PM Reply   
curtis, what boat is that???
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-10-2007, 7:57 PM Reply   
Curtis- Ive been dying to see how your boat has progressed. You should post up some progress and wake pics!! Please
Old     (dentard)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-11-2007, 3:37 PM Reply   
Tyler- Just waiting for some good water and more pics will follow.

Micheal- It's an old skiff from the Navy.
Curtis