Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 20, 2007

Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-10-2007, 7:48 PM Reply   
I'm starting to really figure out the rotation and how to get height on my backroll, but my one problem is my rear foot wants to come around to revert and I end up sliding out on my but or landing sideways. Any advice you guys could give me would be greatly appreciated on how to fix this problem or anything else you see me doing wrong; I have been trying this trick for a while now and would like to stick it soon!

http://www.wakepics.com/view_single.php/Backroll-Attempt_wakeboarding-photos.html?medid=21209
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-10-2007, 7:51 PM Reply   
Take it to revert. I know a few people who can't do backrolls but have R2R's dialed. R2R's look way better anyway. Not the advice you were looking for, I'm sure, but something to think about.
Old     (damienk)      Join Date: May 2002       06-10-2007, 8:22 PM Reply   
keeep both hands on the handle and plant the handle on your front hip...look up not back
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-10-2007, 8:38 PM Reply   
One thing that I noticed from that video too...your body is bent over in the air, which is a sign that you are letting off your edge coming into the wake. Start the cut a little closer, and make the cut super progressive. You want to be cutting hardest right when you ride up the wake. Another thing that helped me out was to tuck my head to my rear shoulder, and look over my front shoulder at the same time, if that makes sense...it puts your body in the right rotation.
Old     (dan_forrest)      Join Date: Jan 2006       06-11-2007, 5:54 AM Reply   
I always keep the handle close to my hip until just past half way in my rotation then drop my back hand. That will turn you around straight on your landings. Once you figure out how that feels and get comfortable in the air, you can work on landing with both hands on the handle.
Old     (bbking)      Join Date: Dec 2006       06-11-2007, 6:38 AM Reply   
i'd seriously help you if i could, but could you help me?
what video camera do you have? thanks
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-11-2007, 9:43 AM Reply   
Thanks for all the help so far...

Brett, I actually shot that with a Panasonic Lumix still shot camera. Riding looks much better zoomed all the way in, but my buddy shot that on the widest zoom level.
Old     (helix_rider)      Join Date: Mar 2003       06-11-2007, 10:51 AM Reply   
Dude, you are so close! It looks really good to me, just keep on doing what you are doing and as you come around either 'push' the handle towards the flats with both hands, or let go with your rear hand...both should help you stop going to revert.
Old     (bbking)      Join Date: Dec 2006       06-11-2007, 1:49 PM Reply   
wow, that is better quality than my neighbors handycam... that is sad

didn't know panasonic had such nice cameras, heck i didn't even know they had cameras

(Message edited by bbking on June 11, 2007)
Old     (trickyboarder08)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-11-2007, 2:31 PM Reply   
The reason your going to revert is your letting go of the handle. Grit you teeth and hold on. Also try to hit it just a little less harder, when i first started trying them i was hitting it too hard. Slow it down a little. Make sure you look for the landing as soon as possible.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-11-2007, 2:50 PM Reply   
I originally couldn't do a roll holding on with both hands. It was causing me to turn to revert. So for quite a while I had to let go with the trailing hand. Then at some point I buckled down and learned to stick it with both hands. So maybe letting with the trailing hand would help. Although that's probably not the best way to learn.
Old     (jusstty)      Join Date: Dec 2006       06-11-2007, 5:00 PM Reply   
Looks like your going to a roll to revert. If your trying for the straight backroll i would stay tucked in the ball position a bit longer, and on landing you can let go with your back hand, it should give you a little more control on the landing.
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-11-2007, 5:54 PM Reply   
Front hip! Keep the handle at your front hip, maybe even a little further back then at the front hip. ALOT of folks slip out like that for awhile before they start sticking it.
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       06-12-2007, 8:55 AM Reply   
You are right handed, huh? Your problem is that when you get inverted, you are pulling harder with your righ hand than with your left. Learn to relax your right arm and youll be fine. Others learn like John said and drop the right hand. This will force you to pull hard with your front hand, haha!
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-12-2007, 9:23 AM Reply   
Wow thanks for all the pointers guys! Didn't expect this great of a response.

Heading up to the lake Thursday; Before we go out Friday morning I'm reading through this thread again, watching the backroll on The Book, and hopefully will be able to post some vid of my first invert on here soon!
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-12-2007, 10:17 AM Reply   
good luck dude. When you nail it, post pics.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       06-13-2007, 4:21 PM Reply   
looks good... someone said you might be flattening out... what helps me is starting my edge nice and slow and really digging my heals in at the trough, both hands on the handle too and don't let go!
Old     (otiswunguy)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-13-2007, 4:48 PM Reply   
You have it. Keep the rope at your front hip and spot your landing if you can. Also the bigger you take this trick the easier it is.
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-13-2007, 8:46 PM Reply   
Mike taking it bigger is definately a good idea. When I first started out I would huck the flip real fast and get no pop. The last time I tried them, I really tried to concentrate on popping first and slowing down the rotation.