Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (RJayroe)      Join Date: Jul 2010       07-26-2010, 9:02 PM Reply   
My friends say my toe side grabs are close to a bat wing. I dont think so but whatever. so how do i go about trying a bat wing?
Old     (hyperlite)      Join Date: May 2009       07-27-2010, 3:41 AM Reply   
DEPENDS ON HOW YOU WOULD LIKE TO DO THEM.

w2w - CUT OUT AS FAR AS YOU CAN AND TAKE A SLOW PROGRESSIVE CUT IN W/ ABOUT 75% OF YOUR WEIGHT ON YOUR BACK FOOT. (NOT A RALEY CUT) WHEN YOU GET TO THE BOTTOM OF THE WAKE, USE A SCOOPING MOTIION AND TRANSFER YOUR WEIGHT TO YOUR FRONT FOOT. WHEN YOU COME OFF THE WAKE PULL YOUR FRONT KNEE TO YOUR CHEST AND GRAB IT. KEEP THE HANDLE LOWER THAN NORMAL AND THE REST JUST KINDA COMES NATURAL. YOUR BOARD AND BODY WILL DRIFT OUT AND BACK IN LIKE A PENDULUM. JUST KEEP THE HANDLE IN AND LOW AND YOULL BE OK, EVEN IF YOU MISS THE GRAB.

TO THE FLATS - SAME AS ABOVE EXCEPT INSTEAD OF A SLOW PROGRESSIVE, TURN IT UP AND CRANK INTO YOUR EDGE A LOT SOONER, LIKE A RALEY. GOOD LUCK AND HAVE FUN.
Old     (RJayroe)      Join Date: Jul 2010       07-27-2010, 1:34 PM Reply   
Thanks man i am going to try that out tomorrow hopefully if i get a pull lol
Old    benj_t            07-27-2010, 3:44 PM Reply   
Lee explained it good, once you get them then they are super easy and you wont have to even think about them at all
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       07-27-2010, 4:52 PM Reply   
Lee Nailed it, really the only thing different that I do is weight my front foot a bit more as I approach the wake the helps me sqaure them up so I dont do the Star gazer bat wing.
Old     (JohnM)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-27-2010, 5:25 PM Reply   
Just started to get these down after quite a bit of frustration and do exactly as Lee Daniels says!

If your legs are too straight you will have a hard time scooping the wake so keep them nice and bent on the way in. I had my legs too straight and would catch my heel edge in the wake on the release.
Old     (hyperlite)      Join Date: May 2009       07-28-2010, 3:51 AM Reply   
Thanks Andy
Old     (kyle_L)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-28-2010, 6:03 AM Reply   
LOL i opposite to Lee edge in with about 75% on my front foot and if anything swoop backward/more of a swoop and punch with my butt. the key is just waiting for the pop. if you try to leave to early, you are going to do a giant half toeside backroll and land on your head. if you pop, then punch/swoop out you will keep yourself from going inverted. They are learned easiest off of kickers where you really can wait for the pop (knowing your board is off the kicker) giving you a little more time to perfect the technique. The technique is the same off of the wake and kicker (if you make it that way which you should- a kicker is just a bigger training ground for wake tricks) but your reaction time off the wake has to be much faster. OHHHHHHHHHHH AND LIKE EVERY RALEY BASED TRICK KEEP YOUR EYES ON THE TOWER AND THIS WILL KEEP YOU FROM INVERTING AND KEEP YOUR SHOULDERS SQUARED OFF.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       07-28-2010, 6:59 AM Reply   
Nice Jayroe! You'll have to let me know how they go. I tried some last year but couldn't get the board back under me. I thinking loading up at the wake and keeping the handle in tighter are things I was missing.
Old     (kyle_L)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-28-2010, 7:22 AM Reply   
Eubanks, the board should come under you pretty naturally and easily if you are doing it right. Don't look back at the board for the grab, keep your eyes fixed to the tower and once you feel extended and feel like your elbow is at about 110-100 degrees in extension, close the angle and bring the rope to your hip and your legs should be under you. I never consciously think about bringing my legs down, but i do consciously think about pulling the rope in.
Old     (hyperlite)      Join Date: May 2009       07-29-2010, 4:20 AM Reply   
lol.....so many tech's but the ground work is still the same
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       07-29-2010, 6:10 AM Reply   
Well, looks like I'll give 'er a shot next time out at well. That was along the lines of how I was going to attack it, and with the extra input here, should be able to hit 'er. I'll see if I can get some video. Hopefully it's not just a crash section. haha
Old     (d4m0)      Join Date: Apr 2009       07-29-2010, 8:36 PM Reply   
just dont do this when you land

from Damo Cox on Vimeo.

Old     (Jack)      Join Date: May 2010       07-30-2010, 2:33 AM Reply   
Any tips for doing them over the kicker?
Old     (kyle_L)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-30-2010, 12:41 PM Reply   
Jack, 75% weight on your front foot, when you pop off make sure you keep the handle from extending higher than your hip because if it starts to rise you will go inverted. Push your lead shoulder down while pushing your chest over your board and look straight down the line at the cable. you control the trick with your chest and handle position and can just let your hips drift out naturally. going for the grab right when you take off helps you stay in position. the landing on the cable is really easy, kind of just floats you down naturally. it's really no different then doing a glide heelside. the only reason people get caught is because they aren't as comfortable hitting a kicker toeside. as long as you can wait for your pop, once you are in the air on cable, it doesn't matter how you came into the ramp. that is how I like to think about it anyhow.
on cable, how I position my body for an Indy glide is identical to how I position myself for a batwing.
Old    alanp            08-02-2010, 8:11 PM Reply   
tried these tonight for about 40 minutes. finally figured out i needed to edge away from the boat/wake more so than a normal ts wake jump. started getting the board behind me but i was so tired from trying i couldnt get it back under me. anxious to try them in a couple of days with a fresh arm