Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through November 14, 2005

Old     (rwb)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-08-2005, 11:18 AM Reply   
Hey Everyone,

How much gas is everyone burning for an average length ride . . . say 20-30 minutes? Assume 1200 lbs + ballast with 4 people in the boat.

Thanks.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-08-2005, 11:22 AM Reply   
20 minute ride; 2000 pounds; 24mph = about 4 gallons in my X2.
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-08-2005, 11:26 AM Reply   
40 min pull, 1600 pounds; 24= about 4 gallons OG SAN
Old     (ladythump)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-08-2005, 11:26 AM Reply   
How would you figure something like that out?
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-08-2005, 11:36 AM Reply   
Gallons your tank holds.

Start with a full tank. Ride, then see how much it takes to refill it.

Now that I think about it. I'm not taking into account the 10 minute ride each way to get to the riding spot.
Old     (magellan)      Join Date: Feb 2003       09-08-2005, 11:37 AM Reply   
The norm was 10$ a set.
May get bumped to 15$ thanks to the price gouging gas co's.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-08-2005, 12:02 PM Reply   
we're already at 15 per set.
Old     (jeffr)      Join Date: May 2002       09-08-2005, 8:34 PM Reply   
WOW... The 383 HH in my VLX must be hungry.... MLS, Lead, and wedge down = 5 Gallons per set.

Yes our norm also gut bumped from 10 to 15 per set with todays prices. That does not even factor in the gas to pull the boat to the lake and back.

Let's hope the prices keep more people off the lake so I can find some better water.
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-08-2005, 8:43 PM Reply   
ya its working or the cool is kicking in. Went out today only boat out on the water till about 4 and they were way across the lake and pure butter.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-08-2005, 9:10 PM Reply   
V210 with 1500 pounds + 7 peeps uses around 3 gal per set.
Old     (superairdawg)      Join Date: May 2003       09-09-2005, 4:46 AM Reply   
I burn around 5 gallons an hour in my SAN with typical 4 peeps & 1800lbs ballast, which usually equates to about 3 sets.
Old     (paublo)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-09-2005, 7:45 AM Reply   
I got tired of an inaccurate fuel gage, so I installed a fuel flow meter a couple of months ago. I know within 1/10 of a gallon how much gas is used. (By the way, about 5-6 gph is normal for me) Maybe I should be like the gas stations and guys give me the cash in advance before their sets and then I can give them their change when they are done.

Just kidding, but it sounds even more expensive when you break done the cost per set. I hope it doesn't get too expensive to take kids and it become a rich person's sport.
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       09-09-2005, 10:07 AM Reply   
Paul, I think we are already there. $15 an hour in gas in a $40,000 boat that has to be insured and maintained riding a $500 board and bindings combo plus all the other crap you need like rope/handle and vests.
I dont really think the masses can afford to wakeboard.
Old     (cbaird)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-09-2005, 10:26 AM Reply   
J-Rod, that sounds like alot of gas for 20 minutes. what engine do you have?

My X2 (MCX-w/Cruise) is usually 5 gallons an hour with 2000 lbs and couple guys.
Old     (toyotafreak)      Join Date: Sep 2003       09-09-2005, 12:18 PM Reply   
2000lbs and some guys for 5 gallons per hour in your SAN and X2 seems pretty good to me. I thought you'd be closer to 6 gph.

Hey jon4pres...don't forget the friggin luxury tax and 10 mpg to the lake and $15 to launch and at least $5 per day in ice. You're right - as far as I'm concerned it's already a rich man's sport. I gave $350 to Chevron this weekend (five lake days) alone.
Old    sammc_11            09-09-2005, 9:47 PM Reply   
We NEVER pay the fee to launch. They got a sign up, but I think everyone disregards it
Old     (ktmwakeboarder)      Join Date: Jun 2004       09-11-2005, 5:08 PM Reply   
Derek is right (imo), so many other little things to consider that add up. Definitely a prominently rich person's sport.
Old     (kraig)      Join Date: Dec 2002       09-11-2005, 8:02 PM Reply   
I used to expect $5 a pull, usually 2 pulls per outing so around $10. But then last year and into this year that price went up to more like $10-15 for a couple of sets. Now I look for $15-$20 for a couple of pulls and even more it we're out there all day.

People that don't own a boat need to understand that there are more expenses than just fuel. Most are fixed expenses unlike fuel that is more of a fluid expense. If you're a boat whore, which I know all of us boat owners need them, please take into account everything else and take that into consideration when throwing down money to ride. I've had a few guys out on my boat this year that threw down $6-$10 bucks for a day of riding. Hmmm.....gee.....I wonder why they haven't been back out on my boat this year.... Don't get me wrong, there are alot of people out there that are very good about this! Most of the people that go out on my boat are very good about money and helping out on the wipe down afterwards. When this is all taken care of it makes for a very enjoyable experience for everyone out on the boat (Helping whith the wipedown) and an enjoyable one for me as well (Gas money and wipedown).
Old     (blueplastic)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-11-2005, 8:36 PM Reply   
I own a 1999 Toyota Epic 22 (300 HP Lexus engine) wakeboarding boat with a Titan II tower. We usually ride with 5-6 people and no fat sacs or 2-3 people and 2 fat sacs. Each pull lasts about 30 minutes. I also have to drive the boat to the lake and back since I don't live on a lake and the total round trip driving time in my truck is 40 minutes.

So, it's a nice boat and drinks it's fair amout of gas. I used to charge $10 a set or $15 for two sets.

But with the current gas prices and just the cost of the boat upkeeping, I'm going to increase that to $15 per set or $30 for two sets. I think it would be most fair to charge $20 per set and $35 for two sets, but I don't think most of my friends could afford that...

Just a FYI, Orlando Water Sports complex charges $50 for a 30 minute pull with instructions or $95 for a 1 hour pull.
Old     (cdm)      Join Date: Aug 2003       09-12-2005, 9:31 AM Reply   
Sameer, you need to chill with the CHARGING! $15/$30 for a set or two.. You should sell your boat and take up bowling or something...
Old     (ktmwakeboarder)      Join Date: Jun 2004       09-12-2005, 4:29 PM Reply   
Why should he chill? If he feels that is necessary, then fine. You don't have to ride with him if you don't want to. That does seem a little steep, but does make some sense to me at least. Unfortunately there is very little that can be done about this being a costly sport.

Kraig- How can we get the message out to people nicely? It gets so frustrating when I tell people to bring a certain amount of money (my trips are pretty consistent with the amount of gas used, so I'm able to guestimate), and then at the end of the day they bring hella less money than I said... grrrr. I personally can't keep doing trips at a significant monetary loss on my part. And that's just gas stuff, not the upkeep that a few people have pointed out earlier in this thread (I don't charge for upkeep, just making that clear), but people can at least be a bit generous with the gas help... Ok, I'll stop blabbing now.
Old     (nvsairwarrior)      Join Date: Aug 2003       09-12-2005, 4:52 PM Reply   
Interresting to have two threads on this subject. The other one seems to be bashing the idea of asking/charging for sets. The basis seems that if you can't afford boat ownership on your own it you should try another sport.
So for my $.02 I say if your crew's help and your own contribution isn't enough, then sell your boat and try to ride on someone else's boat....or try another sport.
I'm lucky I guess, I sometimes get people offering to buy a whole tank of gas....I rarely turn that down...ok never.
D out
Old     (nvsairwarrior)      Join Date: Aug 2003       09-12-2005, 5:02 PM Reply   
oops, forgot the q:
average outing consumes 6.6 gals/hour 4-5 peeps with about 1500 lbs ballast. (simple gallons used divided by elapsed hours on meter.)
D out