Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 18, 2009

Old    jbpetty6203            02-19-2009, 10:50 AM Reply   
So I am about to purchase a tower for my bowrider and I wanted to get some input from you guys on items I should purchase with/for it. I already have a set of tower speakers waiting at my house to go on it, so thats covered. I get a free wakeboard rack to go with it. So tower lights?? Mirror?? or a second wakeboard rack?? I cant rely afford everything sadly. Im thinkn about going with the light bar and a second rack to fit my "guest" board. I do dock and camp a lot so the light bar I think would get used if I purchased it but I do have a spotlight so its not a must. I also wanted to inquiry about running the wires through the tower for the speakers... any pointers from you guys?? All help and opinions are appreciated.

SUMMER IS ALMOST HERE!!!!!
Old     (jrbishop4)      Join Date: Mar 2007       02-19-2009, 11:13 AM Reply   
I would go with the second board rack and a mirror. It is nice to have the mirror to be able to watch your rider and not have to always turn around. The lights are nice but I would only get them if I had the extra money. Running the wires is going to depend on what tower you get.
Old     (sacmule)      Join Date: May 2007       02-19-2009, 11:41 AM Reply   
I would definitely get at least one more board rack, I have three in my boat and occassionally need room for a 7th board, although it is typically the boat/guest board. Think about how you shore camp if/when you buy a light bar, consider lamp arrangement (forward facing, back facing, forward only on, back only on, all on, etc). We typically nose into shore unload our gear then anchor/tie the boat off the shore with the bow out, toward the lake and incoming waves. In California with the varying lake levels a good spot to camp is typically a good hike up the shore, so the boat lights could provide some light for walking up the banks at night while carrying gear. The nice things about tower mirrors is that they are not in the way of you r view of the lake since they do not attached to the windshield. You may be able to get the tower pre-drilled and pre-wired, that could save you a lot of time and may not cost much more.
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       02-19-2009, 1:11 PM Reply   
i would go with the second board rack and the mirror. its nice having the mirror out of the way hanging on the tower.

as far as the lights go i would wait till you have the extra cash. my friends and i do A LOT of night boating and only one person has the lights and we dont even use them. the lights actually make it harder when driving at night. there are plenty of lights in the boat to be able to find what you need. when cruising around at night we actually turn all lights off including nav cuz its just way easier to see
Old     (w00taz)      Join Date: Jun 2007       02-19-2009, 2:11 PM Reply   
+1 on not buying lights. Don't bother they just attract bugs and burn people.
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       02-19-2009, 2:13 PM Reply   
I am not sure about the laws in your area, but I would say to focus on the extra rack and/or the lightbar. I know in Canada you have to have a spotter in the boat by law, meaning that the driver does not need to keep looking back to check up on the rider. That being said, you might enjoy watching the rider.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-19-2009, 2:46 PM Reply   
Go with the racks and mirror. Worry about lights later or make your own lightbar. A mirror is dfinitely a nice thing to have.
Old     (pwningjr)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-19-2009, 2:55 PM Reply   

quote:

when cruising around at night we actually turn all lights off including nav cuz its just way easier to see

Sorry dude, but this really scares me! Please turn on your nav lights when boating at night! I would hate to see you get your boat wrecked and it be your fault because you weren't complying with basic navigation rules. I'm pretty sure its a state law in all 50 states (or maybe even national, but I don't think they have jurisdiction over state waterways.).
Old     (littletna)      Join Date: Jan 2008       02-19-2009, 3:06 PM Reply   
I agree with Dan C.
Jason,
If your concerned about the nav lights obstructing your view you shouldn't be. They don't broadcast a beam to obstruct your view, just to let others know your direction or if at anchor. If it is the dash lights bothering you then put a dimmer switch on the dash lights like your car or truck. That should solve it. There we're a few accidents on here last summer due to no running lights or anchor lights turned on. Keep safe and have a great season!!!
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       02-19-2009, 3:09 PM Reply   
I would also comment, know what you are buying.

1- All items must be quick disconnect!
2- All items must have a plastic sleeve to protect the tower!

Also if you have an I/O you should get a hydrofoil for about $60. Supossed to make a huge difference.
Old     (nlindbert)      Join Date: Jan 2009       02-19-2009, 3:47 PM Reply   
yea man id go with another rack and maybe a mirror if your just boardin with another friend but the lights i wouldnt really worry about it until later on but if your running wire drill your far hole first then get some string or yarn and hook a shop vac up to the tower then tie your speaker wire and pull it thru works like a champ and if you have a I/O id definantly get a hydrofoil like mikey said and some weight in there it seemed to help alot more than just a tower
Old     (michridr69)      Join Date: Dec 2008       02-19-2009, 4:15 PM Reply   
BOARD RACKS!!! WATCH FOR FINS TO RIP UR VINAL
Old     (saceone)      Join Date: Jan 2009       02-19-2009, 6:03 PM Reply   
board racks and a mirror. I don't like tower speakers or lights.
Old     (dohboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-19-2009, 6:14 PM Reply   
Board racks and mirror are almost necessities. But remember there is always next year. You just made the most important purchase with the tower.
Old     (bulletlines)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-19-2009, 7:34 PM Reply   
I agree with the racks, and mirror.. Most people hardly ever use a light bar: think about how much time you are actually using your boat in daylight compared to night time.. You will probably get a lot more use out of the racks and mirror..

The only time I use my light bar is when I'm trailering my boat after dusk....

Thanks,

Ken Land
Bullet Lines
www.bulletlines.com
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       02-19-2009, 8:05 PM Reply   
Instead of getting lights, get a handheld spotlight. It'll shine a whole lot better than tower lights. The lights that came on my Supra wouldn't even shine past the boat.
Old    jbpetty6203            02-19-2009, 8:13 PM Reply   
Yea i purchased a spotlight that plugs into the acc so its bright. I think I am going to go with the second rack from what all of you said. Im gone go get that hydrofoil i think... anybody have any knowledge about these??? and a new prop to get outa the hole better... thanks to all for the advice!!!