Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (rocdog)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-21-2008, 12:10 PM Reply   
I have looked everywhere and can not find. I do know about the Pop sacks but I am looking for something a little more affordable than that. I live near Sacramento, Ca. so if anyone has any ideas, that would be great. Thanks!!!

Dave
dave@uniquesolutionsinc.org
Old     (mars)      Join Date: Aug 2005       04-21-2008, 1:18 PM Reply   
shooting supply shop-buy bulk lead shot.

one used to be able to get dsicarded tire weights but lead is a hazmat now

call scrap metal/recyling centers sometimes they'll sell you some

consider using iron instead-go to wally world or another bargain store and buy some cheap weight plates... check craigs list for a local who is getting rid of their weight set beacuse they don't use it.

--just remeber that denser than water ballast is the "icing" on the ballast "cake". try to make the bulk of your ballast water so that it is neutral in a swamping scenario.

(Message edited by mars on April 21, 2008)

(Message edited by mars on April 21, 2008)
Old     (inland_surfer)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-21-2008, 3:20 PM Reply   
Look for "nonferrous metals" [ I think that's spelled right ] in your area. But remember with lead you will sink! We had a custom fat sac made for our Enzo it works great.
Old     (donnieb)      Join Date: Nov 2006       04-21-2008, 11:35 PM Reply   
I live in Seattle, Washington, and I've been able to get the discarded tire weights from the local Firestone tire shop. The guys there were great about it. I then took the led and double bagged it in 1 gallon freezer/storage sacs and put them in small canvas bags I got from HomeDepot (I think they cost $10 for two canvas bags). I've weighted each bag so they all have roughly 40lbs. The bags have handles so they are easy to move around in the boat.

I agree with the other posts, though, that led is the "icing" on the cake. You should primarily be using water ballast.

Good luck!
Don
Old     (rocdog)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-23-2008, 12:15 PM Reply   
Yeah, I hear you on the being careful. I am only looking for 480lbs. I run a Sanger V215 and it does not take much weight to make these boats surf well.
Old     (alan_bogdanoff)      Join Date: Jan 2003       04-25-2008, 8:14 PM Reply   
I have so much lead. All coated with rubberized plastic. I have over a ton. all bricks. all for sale.
call me if u want them. 650.537.1201
I can get u all the lead u need.
I'm located in the bay area.
Old     (wakelover04)      Join Date: Nov 2007       04-25-2008, 8:43 PM Reply   
it takes enough i would use about 1000 in a 215.500 in the rear 250 under the seat and 250 in the bow on the side.with a 750 in the rear with a 500 on the floor and a 500 in the bow that ould be sick.
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       04-26-2008, 2:26 PM Reply   
I have a bunch of tire weights that are packed in PVC pipes and sealed on the ends. i am thinking of adding some sand to the tubes too. I am sticking mostly to water ballast though.
Old     (sangerlover)      Join Date: Sep 2005       04-27-2008, 9:27 AM Reply   
Alan-
I will PM you about lead. I live close by.
Old     (rocdog)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-27-2008, 8:43 PM Reply   
JTW, no PM yet? Just email me at dave@uniquesolutionsinc.org.
thanks
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-29-2008, 9:38 AM Reply   
I run a lot in my V215 700# in rear locker, 750# on floor, 370# seat and 500# in the floor then I put people in the bow on the side of the rider. The wave is epic though...