Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 29, 2009

Old     (jimr)      Join Date: Sep 2001       05-20-2009, 6:24 AM Reply   
I have the Morse type stuffing box.

Upload

I've pretty much run out of threads and cannot tighten it anymore and I'm getting a stream instead of a drip. Can you repack this type of box or do you have to pull the shaft and replace the whole box. I backed off the nut but all I could see was what looked like a nylon washer. I assume the packing material is behind that??? What's the best way to get the packing out and what size do you use? I went ahead and bought the 3/16" Gore-Tex shaft packing that is recommended for a 1 1/8" shaft but I'm not sure if this is the right size for this type of box. I'm only familiar with the packing-in-the-nut type boxes. Any help with this type box would be greatly appreciated.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       05-20-2009, 11:05 AM Reply   
try skidim.com, they're pretty helpful and may be able to steer you in the right direction + send you the new goods.
Old     (jimr)      Join Date: Sep 2001       05-21-2009, 6:09 AM Reply   
Actually, I did call them and they were not too familiar with this type of stuffing box either. They thought it could be repacked and that 3/16" GFO would be the way to go. Wish me luck!
Old     (bmr82)      Join Date: Jul 2008       05-21-2009, 10:50 AM Reply   
you can repack them. I am using my iPod touch but when I get a chance I will post the info. There is a real good diy page on the net somewhere. Really easy to do.
Old     (jimr)      Join Date: Sep 2001       05-22-2009, 6:28 AM Reply   
Bret, if you could post a link I would really appreciate it.

Once I get this taken care of I get to replace my steering cable. It is starting to seize up - no doubt, due to being submerged to many times last season as a result of the leaky stuffing box.