Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (larry1167)      Join Date: Jun 2010       12-04-2011, 9:56 AM Reply   
I am looking to upgrade my boat this winter. I need a cross-over boat. I know that these boats don't do anything really well but I have varying needs. I still love to slalom ski but don't want a direct drive because of the seating arrangment. I like the space a V-Drive offers. I currently have an '87 Sanger TX. It's an AWSA approved slalom/barefoot boat. It's an I/O so I am used to skiing a boat with the weight at the back. I ski 34mph at 22' off and the wake at this distance and speed is small.

I also like to wakeboard but I am an intermediate at best. I can clear the wake on my back side and get about half way on the front side behind my boat. The wake is small but firm and rampy. Not doing any tricks and probably won't because I don't have time to be hurt and it's just not that important to me. I have friends that are a little better and I assume my kids will be into wakeboarding more than skiing when they get older.

Needless to say, I can't surf behind my boat but I do surf quite a bit behind my friend's MC X-30. I plan to surf the new boat so this is also a consideration. It's not an important one because my main priority is skiing and boarding. My kids are 4 and 6 and I assume the wake will be large enough for them to learn on and we can always surf behind my friend's boat if we want a larger wake.

Here are the boats I am considering right now. My price point is $22,000ish. Any input/comments would be appreciated.

Sanger V210 - 2002 or newer with Black Scorpion - I know this boat has a somewhat legendary wakeboard wake out of the box and more so loaded. I am not concerned about the wakeboard wake because I know it will be enough for me. I assume the ski wake is acceptable because of the low draft this boat has. I am, however, concerned about weighting it for surfing because of the low freeboard. Sanger V215 is a little too heavy for my tow vehicle and outside my price range. This boat is a little under 2,900 lbs dry.

2001 Malibu VLX Sunsetter with Diamond Hull- I want the diamond hull for skiing and have heard that at 22 off the wake is good for skiing. I assume the wakeboard wake is good enough for intermediate riders. I also assume this boat might throw a better surf wake because of the higher freeboard. The beam is also 3" wider so this boat offers a little more room. I was dead set on the Sanger but now I am considering the Bu because I didn't know that this boat only weighs 2,900 lbs dry.

I know you guys are mainly wakeboarders/surfers on this site but I know there is a lot of knowledge about boats on this site too. Any boat you think I am missing based on my desires and price point?
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       12-04-2011, 10:13 AM Reply   
You pretty much have the argument for the Vlx already. . I still do all 3 as well. The Vlx on the diamond hull is perfect. While you didn't ask, I would also throw a Mastercraft 205v/ xstar from 99-03. Regarded as one of the best v drive 3 sport boats on the market. While the Vlx will have a little more interior room the 205v X star will drive more like a direct drive ski boat. It also surfs very very well for a sub 21ft boat and is right in the wheelhouse of your price range.

I have surfed and rode in the Sanger 210. While as a pure wakeboat it throws a monster wake, blows through chop,t and drives great, as multi sport hull, I just didn't like the feeling I got driving while surfing. I have been driving comp boats since I was 10, but everytime I was behind the wheel I was little nervous behind the Sanger sacked out for surfing. Having 2 girls 5-7 I just prefer the higher gunwales and deeper interior of the Vlx or 205v.
Old     (dxii)      Join Date: Jan 2009       12-04-2011, 11:30 AM Reply   
I own a Sanger DLX right now and my next boat will probably be a V210. While the DLX and V210 have the best wakeboard/barefoot crossover hull you can find, the slalom wake isn't great. It's a very firm wake surrounded by wide, deep curls. Basically the stuff that makes it great for barefooting also makes it less than ideal for slalom skiing.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       12-04-2011, 12:18 PM Reply   
^^^^^ Add to that the fact that surfing is certainly not near the top of the V210's atribute list. Sounds like the Bu may fit your needs better. Not saying that the 210 cant work for surfing but with the low freeboard, you really have to be attentative. I like the sexy lowslung look of the Sanger's and I ride the delta regularly in my 210 with no issues but I dont ever surf behind it.
Old     (larry1167)      Join Date: Jun 2010       12-04-2011, 12:46 PM Reply   
This is exactly the type of information I am looking for. Thanks guys. The slalom wake on my boat is firm but it's small enough to deal with. Any larger and it would not be fun. I sure like the low slung look of the Sangers too. I also like being close to the water but I know I have to give some of this stuff up for a bigger boat. I would rather not drive a dog though. It would be tough to go from my boat to that.

Xstarrider or anyone out there - how does the VLX drive? I know it won't be as good as the V210 but is it a dog? How does it handle rough water? Have you slalom skied behind a V210? Thanks for suggesting the MC205. I will add it to my list.
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       12-04-2011, 1:17 PM Reply   
I have an 01 Sunsetter VLX (first year for the diamond hull on the SS). I just open slalom every now and then, but the wake is really tame in the upper 20's and beyond. This was my first year with the boat, and ran 500lbs in each locker and ~300 under the bow seats. Wake was pretty decent, but the lockers will hold 750/each so I will be doing that before next season, and likely a ski locker bag too, which I'm guessing will really get the wake dialed in.

I haven't surfed it yet, but I heard it can throw a nice surf wake as well.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       12-04-2011, 1:51 PM Reply   
The V210 surfs really well but is a handful to drive when loaded, I only let the wife or me drive when surfing. Ski wake is no good at any speed IMO.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       12-05-2011, 10:52 AM Reply   
Well the Vlx compared to the boats you mentioned, including the 205V will drive like a much bigger boat. When you turn it will lean more in turns, and really require you to crank the wheel to get the boat in a super tight turn. The 205V's stay more flat and turn much more like a comp/direct drive. The Sanger also leans a little as well which is due to it's deep v hull, but still turns very quickly like comp/direct drive. I have never skied a 210 but I have had some fun taking one for a spin as well as Wakeboarding/surfing behind one about dozen times.

Will the Sanger knifes through the chop like butter, the VLX and 205V will take a beating no matter how you slice it. The have flatter hulls and get slammed pretty hard on a super rough day. The bu also rides a little higher in the nose than both and tends to have a little more bow bounce.

I have my 205 V in a course probably 2-3 times a month. It tracks very very well. Drives straight as an arrow and turns on a dime. Will I am used to driving my boat so that may be an issue, when I drive my neighbors VLX it tends to "walk" a little more in the course. While I cant say for sure if all VLX's handle this way due to not taking a bunch in a course, his def needs more corrections and has little more wheel slack. Again haven't driven enough v drive bu's in a course to make a blanket statement, but just my experience with his on the diamond hull. Again tho after driving a ton of boats regularly handling, wakeboard wake, ski wake, and surf wake are why I ended up with my MC.
The bu is going to give you the most interior room hands down. Another thing you may like is bu's wedge . Since you are a novice wakeboarder you may find rather than having to wait and fill tanks/sacs you may just want to drop the wedge and keep the storage area in the rear clear. However if you plan on surfing you will need an extra sac in the rear so kind of mute point on the storage areas back there.
Old     (larry1167)      Join Date: Jun 2010       12-05-2011, 3:33 PM Reply   
I may have to give up the better slalom wake for the superior rough water ride of the Sanger. I am the only one that really skies now. Guess I gotta think about the family. They won't like getting beat up in the afternoon wind chop on the lakes we go to. I do most of the driving so it will be a bonus for me too. The boat I have now is good in the chop and I don't want to go backwards. If I still skied the CA Delta, I would get the Bu or MC.

I heard the Bennett trim tab on the V210 helps the ski wake a bit by pushing the nose down. I am used to a hard wake now because my boat throws a hard wake but I can trim out the drive to get it smaller.

I also kind of like the fact that the V210 doesn't need a lot of weight to board or surf well. I don't like waiting around for sacs to fill/drain or moving sacs all over the boat. I am used to low profile boats. I've got to be careful in my boat now when the big rollers come through and we are sitting getting prepared for another run. One guy on the platform getting ready is all that you can have or we will take on water. Gotta move all my fat friends to the front.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       12-05-2011, 4:15 PM Reply   
I have a tab on mine and it does help a lot with the wake size and hardness when @ 30mph +
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       12-05-2011, 4:17 PM Reply   
Hands down if you plan on doing a lot of cross lake cruising on busy days the Sanger with the bennett can't be touched by either of those 2.

Larry
Sent you a PM
Old     (nelson)      Join Date: Jan 2009       12-05-2011, 4:29 PM Reply   
I can't comment on the Sanger, but I was in the same situation as you a few years back still love my early morning slalom run's but liked the layout of the V-Drives and need the space with a little one on the way. Ours is an 07 VLX with the Diamond haul and it skis good it will not be what you had but it won't take long to get used too. You can walk the boat a bit but any good skier is going to do that behind any boat. Just make sure you have a good driver and you are set. For wakeboarding the factory setup is more then fine for most but with as you get better you will want more 500lbs + in the front another 1000 in the rear and you will be set. As far as surfing goes can't help you there I can't stand it so we don't mess with it.
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       12-05-2011, 5:19 PM Reply   
What is with this whole "handling" thing. These are boats, not sports cars. My "drives like a big boat" VLX turns just fine - better than the number of I/O's I've driven in the past, and makes any necessary turn I've ever had as sharp as I want it. None of these boats are going to snap a 180 like a dual engine jet boat. If it tracks straight, and goes where you want it to when you turn, that's what the boat needs to do.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       12-05-2011, 5:37 PM Reply   
Larry sounds like you are leaning towards the Sanger. Check SF Bay Area Craigslist as there was a really nice late 90's one a few weeks back for 12.5 nicely equipped with low hours.
Old     (larry1167)      Join Date: Jun 2010       12-05-2011, 5:52 PM Reply   
Thanks Sparky. I am looking for a 2002 or newer. I like the seating arrangement a little better after '02. They took out the cup holders at the back where everyone likes to sit. I also like the newer towers on the realitively newer boats because they are easier to collapse. I store my boat in the garage so I have to collapse everytime I go which is typically twice a week in the summer. Wife and kids are no help. Quick release is the key.

Nitrous- I am not looking to do 180's but rough water ride is important. I don't do power turns because I am an old school skier and know better. I just enjoy driving boats that handle well. Call me crazy but it's just my thing. I like sports cars.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       12-05-2011, 6:14 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrousbird View Post
What is with this whole "handling" thing. These are boats, not sports cars. My "drives like a big boat" VLX turns just fine - better than the number of I/O's I've driven in the past, and makes any necessary turn I've ever had as sharp as I want it. None of these boats are going to snap a 180 like a dual engine jet boat. If it tracks straight, and goes where you want it to when you turn, that's what the boat needs to do.

While handling characteristics to most boarders aren't that important, to skiers and drivers for skiers it's much different and much more noticeable. Drive a tournament team MC or an old powerslot 190 well let's say a response or a sportswear since its a bu thing. and then drive a Vlx. There are huge huge differences in the pull which are only noticeable to a skiers and their drivers regularly. Same goes for a Vlx vs 205 v vs sanger at ski/ barfoot speeds.

Most wakeboats drive the same with 2-5k worth of ballast at 20-25mph because the way they plow through the water. So you really don't appreciate or notice the differences as much. However drive with no ballast at 32-37 for skiing or even 40+mph for footing and then go side by side with a Vlx, 205v, and a Sanger 210..........one will def notice and appreciate the handling characteristics.
Old     (larry1167)      Join Date: Jun 2010       12-05-2011, 6:47 PM Reply   
Amen Swatguy. Summed up perfectly.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       12-05-2011, 7:47 PM Reply   
Malibu VTX is what you need but you need to stretch out that budget to get one.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       12-05-2011, 8:21 PM Reply   
I've been in my bosses VTX and I'm going to say slalom wake is not much better than my V210. A little better but not much. Its still a vdrive and I have yet to experience any vdrive with a respectable slalom wake.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       12-05-2011, 8:44 PM Reply   
Believe it or not the flattest v drive table I was ever on was the older moomba lsv hull. That was as close to a dirct drive as I have ever been on the short line. I am sure due to weight and really flat hull, but with the plate all the way down it was nice and not too much of a bump
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       12-05-2011, 9:13 PM Reply   
Good points Swat. What year VLX do you drive through the course sometimes? I have the same hull as you (05-X-2). Had to step up to a VTX diamond this year. My initial thoughts after 3 times out is that the ski wake is better, better handling, better surf wake. Wakeboard wake isn't as 'poppy' but you can charge it hard. I haven't had it out in rough water, yet, so the jury is still out. Keeping both boats until I know for sure this is the right decision.
Old     (bwake)      Join Date: Sep 2009       12-07-2011, 1:20 AM Reply   
Sorry i dont know anything about the VLX but own a V210. I had heard great things about them so got one and am very pleased with it. The way it handles is definitley a bonus, and it handles chop better than my old mans fishing boat. For beginner/intermediate boarders you really dont need any ballast at all, but a little bit produces a brilliant wake. My mother has skiied behind it a few times and while its not amazing for slalom skiing she doesnt seem to mind the wake.

The low deck height has never really concerned me, however ive never surfed with the boat. Darren who has posted above knows a thing or two about them, so would be a great person to ask if you had any further questions. I have a 97 and would go with an 02+ if i could do it again.
Old     (humboldt9)      Join Date: Jun 2004       12-07-2011, 6:28 PM Reply   
I obviously drink the Sanger kool aid and have an 02 V210. Based on your original post you won't be disappointed going that route. It throws a great stock weight for an intermediate rider and if your not running a slalom course and aren't a hard core slalom skier it will put out a manageable ski run.

I bought mine three years ago for $19k and based on the demand of the v-drive wakeboard boat could probably sell it for what I bought it for. If you go that route you won't be disappointed. Plus you have a lot of loyal Sanger owners on this site for tips and help
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       12-07-2011, 11:15 PM Reply   
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/boa/2741589927.html
Old     (larry1167)      Join Date: Jun 2010       12-08-2011, 7:28 AM Reply   
Thanks Mikeski. I saw that post yesterday and called the owner. Looks like a pretty good deal but it has no tower, no wedge and no automatic ballast. Based on what is lacks, I am not sure it's that great a deal now. I think a new tower and installation of the tower is at least $2,000 for a half decent one I would think. Not sure how much the wedge would be. Owner says there is a plate already installed for the wedge. The hours are also really low which is good and bad. Current owner has only had it a few months. Not sure if it sat for a few years with no use before he bought it.

There are a number of V210's for sale in the Bay Area right now but the owner's won't budge on price. I am looking for a good deal on an '02 or '03. Kinda like the deal Humboldt9 got. Just gotta be patient and wait for an ower that actually wants to sell his boat.

I think I have narrowed it down to three boats... Sanger V210, Malibu Sunsetter or Sunscape with diamond hull and Centurion Cyclone. All are 21' and have dry weight of 3K or less.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       12-08-2011, 7:43 AM Reply   
^^^^ Not to mention its almost 10 years old and only has 80 hrs on it. To me this has some disadvantages. I would rather have a 10 year old boat with 500+ well maintained hours then 82 well maintained hours.
Old     (larry1167)      Join Date: Jun 2010       12-08-2011, 7:55 AM Reply   
Exactly Sparky. What is the weight of the trailer for your V210?
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       12-08-2011, 10:18 AM Reply   
Not sure on trailer weight.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       12-08-2011, 12:05 PM Reply   
when I had mine shipped I was charged for 3850 pounds. not sure how accurate that was
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       12-08-2011, 1:06 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionel View Post
Good points Swat. What year VLX do you drive through the course sometimes? I have the same hull as you (05-X-2). Had to step up to a VTX diamond this year. My initial thoughts after 3 times out is that the ski wake is better, better handling, better surf wake. Wakeboard wake isn't as 'poppy' but you can charge it hard. I haven't had it out in rough water, yet, so the jury is still out. Keeping both boats until I know for sure this is the right decision.
The Vlx is 03
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       12-08-2011, 1:08 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by larry1167 View Post
Thanks Mikeski. I saw that post yesterday and called the owner. Looks like a pretty good deal but it has no tower, no wedge and no automatic ballast. Based on what is lacks, I am not sure it's that great a deal now. I think a new tower and installation of the tower is at least $2,000 for a half decent one I would think. Not sure how much the wedge would be. Owner says there is a plate already installed for the wedge. The hours are also really low which is good and bad. Current owner has only had it a few months. Not sure if it sat for a few years with no use before he bought it.

There are a number of V210's for sale in the Bay Area right now but the owner's won't budge on price. I am looking for a good deal on an '02 or '03. Kinda like the deal Humboldt9 got. Just gotta be patient and wait for an ower that actually wants to sell his boat.

I think I have narrowed it down to three boats... Sanger V210, Malibu Sunsetter or Sunscape with diamond hull and Centurion Cyclone. All are 21' and have dry weight of 3K or less.
Could have sworn the Sunscape Lsv in the early 2000's was a 23ftr
Old     (jeff359)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-08-2011, 3:22 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by xstarrider View Post
Could have sworn the Sunscape Lsv in the early 2000's was a 23ftr
I believe they made both 21 and 23
Old     (larry1167)      Join Date: Jun 2010       12-19-2011, 11:18 AM Reply   
I was close to buying a 2001 V210 but the owner could not provide the yearly maintenance records and I would really like a 2002 or newer.

My friend is looking to sell his boat. It's a 2003 Malibu Wakesetter XTI. This is a direct drive with the V25 wake hull. I am thinking this might be a good boat to suit my slalom needs and offer a good intermediate wakeboard wake. It has automatic ballast and the wedge. Anyone have any experience with this boat slalom skiing or surfing?

One thing I have to seriously consider is the tower. I guess it takes two people to collapse for storage. I believe it has the TItan tower which has 4 bolts that need to be removed, two requiring an allen wrench. It's got some heavy speakers attached to the tower too. Not a bad thing for tunes but maybe not a good thing for trying to take the tower down by yourself.

I really like the Proflight towers on the Sangers because they only have 2 bolts with handles that need to be removed and I could do it myself. I use my boat a lot so this is a big consideration because I store in my garage.
Old     (larry1167)      Join Date: Jun 2010       12-19-2011, 11:21 AM Reply   
ps.... it's the 21' model and only weighs 2,800 lbs so it fits my maximum weight requirement too.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       12-20-2011, 10:30 AM Reply   
The Titan you can put down by yourself. One of the guys in my crew had a Titan on his Sunsetter and put it down solo for 10 years. But no tower speakers - so the weight may be an issue.

Maybe he'll chime in.. Snowslider76 (aka dickrider76)
Old     (malibu)      Join Date: Sep 2004       12-21-2011, 11:09 AM Reply   
We bought a new Sanger V210 in 05. We use it 99% of the time for surfing. We wanted a new V drive that we could afford and that we could tow long distances on vacation. It has been a great boat for our purposes. Here are some surf pics from last summers vacation in North Idaho. Although there bigger nicer boats out there, I am happiest behind which ever one I happen to be surfing.
Attached Images

Old     (malibu)      Join Date: Sep 2004       12-21-2011, 12:02 PM Reply   
Oh, I forgot to mention my user name is Malibu because my first boat was a direct drive Malibu Sportster. I bought the Sanger when I fell in love with wakesurfing in 05.
Old     (larry1167)      Join Date: Jun 2010       12-21-2011, 4:11 PM Reply   
Thanks Sue. How much weight are you running? Does your boat have the stock hard tanks or are you using fat sacs? Trying to decide if I should go with a V210 with the stock hard tanks or deal with manual fat sacs.
Old     (malibu)      Join Date: Sep 2004       12-21-2011, 7:59 PM Reply   
Larry,
Our boat came with just a center bag installed. We installed Fly High Natique Wedge sacks in the rear lockers, that fill with the flip of a switch. Then a friend gave me his hard tanks out of a Centurion Avalanche. We installed one hard tank in the port side locker. The wedge sack fits on top of the hard tank. It lifts the locker cover a little when it's all the way full. We didn't add a hard tank to the starboard locker, so that we still have storage for vests and wetsuits. We surf on the port side most of the time.
In the storage compartment up front (behind the seat), we have 3 cube ballast bags and under the port side seat, I have lead bars. I start the season out with 3 25lb bars and add more when my husband is not looking! I think altogether we run about 800 - 1000lbs. of ballast between our sacks and lead. The V210 will respond to much less weight than a bigger heaver boat.
When we travel, I take the lead out but we usually have more people in the boat. At home we normally have 2-3 people in the boat. On vacation when we meet our friends up north, we have 4 adults, 4 kids and 1 chocolate lab. I have found that you can have too much weight and the wave gets mushy. When we have a lot of people, we don't fill all the ballast but if you can get them all to sit on one side of the boat, the wave is a blast to surf.
Old     (larry1167)      Join Date: Jun 2010       02-22-2012, 7:44 AM Reply   
My search for a boat continues. The V210 is no longer at the top of my list becuase I think I can get a better slalom wake with an X-Star or VLX on the diamond hull. I also like the fact that the X-Star and VLX have a little more room and deeper freeboard.

The X-Star is now at the top of my list. Is the base 310HP engine in the X-Star sufficient to move the boat when weighted or should I be looking for the upgraded 330HP engine? I operate at sea level 99% of the time. I go to Tahoe once a year for a week.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       02-22-2012, 10:21 AM Reply   
Quote:
My search for a boat continues. The V210 is no longer at the top of my list becuase I think I can get a better slalom wake with an X-Star or VLX on the diamond hull. I also like the fact that the X-Star and VLX have a little more room and deeper freeboard.

The X-Star is now at the top of my list. Is the base 310HP engine in the X-Star sufficient to move the boat when weighted or should I be looking for the upgraded 330HP engine? I operate at sea level 99% of the time. I go to Tahoe once a year for a week.
How much weight and how big of a crew. If you're running say, 2000lbs and 4 people - you'l have no problem with the base motor and the right prop.

If you run 3500 lbs and 6-10 lbs, you'll want the 330hp. All depends on your goals. Your prop selection will be very critical since you want to slalom for extended periods of time at high speed and wakeboard with the boat loaded down.
Old     (larry1167)      Join Date: Jun 2010       02-22-2012, 12:49 PM Reply   
I will be running stock weight and not adding any sacs when boarding or surfing. At this time we will typically have 6-10 people in the boat... 4 adults and the rest kids.

When I go for a ski there's typically only 2-3 people in the boat. Most of the time just the spotter and driver.

I believe both engines are 5.7L. Does anyone know if the 330HP engine offers a lot more low end torque or is it just high end HP? If torque is somewhat the same I think I should be good to go.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       02-22-2012, 1:03 PM Reply   
you'll be fine with the 310 and the RIGHT prop..
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-23-2012, 2:57 AM Reply   
Quote:
ps.... it's the 21' model and only weighs 2,800 lbs so it fits my maximum weight requirement too.
The 03-04 21' XTI is on the SV23 Wake Hull...it didn't go to the V25 until 2005-2008, and that was the V25 Wake Hull. The 02-03 23' XTI had the V25 Diamond hull, and went to the V25 Wake hull from 2004-2008.

The 21' 03-04 XTI was listed @ 2900lbs, but in reality with fuel, tower, and other options it is a lot heavier.
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       02-23-2012, 11:12 AM Reply   
larry, what are you towing with?
Old     (larry1167)      Join Date: Jun 2010       02-25-2012, 9:45 AM Reply   
Towing with a 2008 4Runner V6. Max tow rating is 5K lbs. That's why I want to keep the boat at a max of 3k lbs. dry and prefer a 90" beam.

I tow to our local lake which is 5 miles away 99.9% of the time. No freeway. The short distance to our lake was a big factor when determining what tow vehicle to go with. Most of the time the 4Runner is shuttling my kids to school. I have access to an F-150 for long trips to places like Tahoe which I typically do once a year.
Old     (travisz)      Join Date: Jun 2008       02-25-2012, 3:55 PM Reply   
Sue,
if your put about 800lbs or more in that rear compartment with about 600 in the nose you will have a waist high or higher wave, I used to have an 05 v210 and i loaded the crap out of that boat and got a Wakesetter wake out of it...
Old     (jrw160)      Join Date: Oct 2006       02-25-2012, 4:45 PM Reply   
For the xstar/x2/205v, the 310hp engine is plenty. I have run 3000lbs + 6 adults and 2 kids, and it has no problem getting out of the hole with the 14.5x14.25 prop.

I think in 1999 and 2000 the base engine was 310hp with a 330hp option. 2001 they offered a 320hp (4.6L), 330hp (5.7L), and 425hp (8.1L). 2002 they offered 320hp and 330hp. 2003-2005 310hp (5.7L) and 350hp (5.7L). I have never seen one with the 8.1L. For 2003-2005, the torque curves are largely the same for the 310 and 350, especially in the low end. I have never seen torque curves for the earlier engines.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-26-2012, 9:53 PM Reply   
I'm thinkin Nitrousbird has never driven a Sanger