Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 24, 2009

Old     (dwspring)      Join Date: Mar 2005       07-17-2009, 2:46 PM Reply   
I wanted to post a big Thank You to Alliance and CWB.

Alliance magazine selected my letter as the Letter of the Month a couple of issues ago (see below). I didn’t know that it was going to be printed until I opened the magazine and read it. To say I was pumped is an understatement and showing the articles to friends has been great. It seems like I never hear or read about who wins these things, so I thought I would change that.

The letter:
Subject: Thanks for keeping the stoke alive
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 11:05:12 -0600

Thanks for keeping the stoke alive.

It's Friday morning and I'm eating a bowl of cereal, reading my newest issue (March/April) of Alliance. It's been 2 weeks since I've had surgery on my broken left wrist (a plate and 13 screws) and my appointment is in an hour to get the stitches out and a follow-up.

I was snowboarding in Keystone, CO and it was literally the last run on the last day. The bus back to Kansas City was leaving in about 45 minutes - just enough time for one last run. I hit a couple of rails and a couple of jumps, nothing to brag about, but on the last jump (obviously) I left the top off balance and wrecked pretty hard, landing with most of my weight on my left wrist and right knee. I manage to get out of the way and lay on my back for a few minutes, trying to tell myself it's not that bad. I somehow coast to the base and catch up with my friends. When we get to the clinic, which is thankfully next-door to our bus stop, they say there is no way they can treat me within 30 minutes and the best they can do is give me band-aids or a ziplock bag. I chose the baggie, go outside, and fill it with snow for the ride home. A 10-hour bus ride with no splint, Tylenol PM, and some ice is a great way to travel.

Almost 24 hours later, I get to see the doctor. He tells me it's badly broken and we go over the details. When asked how many breaks there are, he says they stopped counting after 3 or 4, and then proceeds to point out more than 5 breaks. Are doctors allowed to use words like "pulverized?" Not a good sign. I ask him about recovery and specifically, when I can I get back on the lake and go wakeboarding. He says nonchalantly "Oh, normal summer time. Maybe July or August." I get this hurt/shocked look on my face and he laughs when I ask about April. We'll see…

So if you see me riding cable at KCWatersports (Hi Mike!) or on the lake, don't tell my doctor. I’ll be the one riding switch, one-armed, with a splint on my wrist. Thanks for the great magazine, with the amazing pictures and articles. I especially enjoyed the Return of the Old School Contest article and even recognized one of my boards in the pictures, the Connelly Blade. I hope to have the opportunity to break that out again this summer.

Keep pushing your limits,

skinny

And here is a picture:
Upload
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-17-2009, 2:51 PM Reply   
right on, i read that letter
Old     (saceone)      Join Date: Jan 2009       07-17-2009, 2:57 PM Reply   
alliance FTMFW!!!
great letter man
Old     (thedoubleupkid)      Join Date: May 2008       07-17-2009, 4:06 PM Reply   
Are you back on the water?
Old     (dwspring)      Join Date: Mar 2005       07-17-2009, 5:46 PM Reply   
I am really lucky that I have healed as quickly as I have. I wasn't supposed to be out on the water until the end of July or August from the doc's original evaluation. But I stuck with what he said. Even though I felt weird not lifting anything over 5lbs for the first few months (no doors, socks, milk jugs, etc), I think it helped.
I have made a few trips to cable park, but I'm still favoring my hand with the broken wrist. That forces me to ride switch, which is something I needed to work on anyways.
I haven't had a chance to try out the new setup. I'm hoping to remedy that this next weekend. Can't wait!