Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (goatroper222000)      Join Date: Dec 2006       12-31-2006, 1:21 PM Reply   
I wakeboard behind a moomba and the wakes are fine for that. I was wonderin if you had to put weight in the boat to wakesurf. thanx.
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       12-31-2006, 1:40 PM Reply   
Josh,
Yes you will have to add substantial weight to the side that you want to surf on. Someone here will probably give you more specific information for your boat.
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       12-31-2006, 1:40 PM Reply   
No, but the more weight in the right places, the better the wave can be. What kind of Moomba do you have? Maybe someone on here with the same boat can help you out....
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       12-31-2006, 2:09 PM Reply   
Bryan, I disagree, if you don’t load your boat the wake will be small and you’ll need a large board like an Inland Surfer Red. If you weight your boat to one side or the other the wake will be cleaner, larger, and easier for beginners to ride.

I think the wakesurf tribal knowledge says to put weight in one back corner, then work it forward along the side. So if you have a regular stance put weight in the port (left) locker. Don’t fill your starboard tanks, if you have a center tank you probably should fill it. If your wake seems really high and steep then start moving the weight forward along the port side. Boat speed should be about 10 mph. If you can surf at 10 mph try slowing down to 9.5 or 9 mph.

Most boats, including Moombas have a left hand prop. Boats with left hand props generally make a better port-regular wake than starboard-goofy wake.

If you’re a regular stance rider you should be surfing on the port wake with your toes pointing to the wake. You can ride a switch stance and on the other wake but those stances are more difficult to master.
Old     (goatroper222000)      Join Date: Dec 2006       12-31-2006, 5:59 PM Reply   
Ed, I dont hav any fat sacks yet, only people. would that work the same if just had a buncha guys ridin in the back corner. My boat is a Mobius. Pretty sure its the '98 model.

thanx again.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       12-31-2006, 7:06 PM Reply   
Josh, yes "people ballast" is often the easiest ballast to experiment with. You can simply ask Joe to move from the back to the center to the bow.

I don’t know much about the Moomba line up, especially older Moombas. I see that for 2007 that a Mobius is one of three very different looking boats. Is you boat a d-drive, how big is it? Hopefully a Moomba guy will speak up.
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       01-01-2007, 2:12 AM Reply   
Ed, I agree. I guess I was reading it the thread wrong. You don't have to put weight in the boat, but it sure does help.

Josh, throw us a bone. What kind of Mobius? LS, LSV, or XLV? Is it a direct drive, with the engine in the middle of the boat or V-drive, with the engine in the back of the boat?
Old     (goatroper222000)      Join Date: Dec 2006       01-01-2007, 5:15 AM Reply   
Its just a mobius. They didnt come out w/ the LS, LSV, and XLV till later on. and its a d-drive. pretty sure its 21 ft. long.

thanx again.
Old    surfdad            01-01-2007, 5:46 AM Reply   
Ed Geary is a Supra/Moomba man. You should give him a shout and I'm sure he'd be glad to let you know his exact ballasting layout. I believe we got decent results on his boat with two fat sac's one along the side being surfed and another under the rear bench seat, at a right angle to the first fat sac. We filled them as much as they would go, considering the limitations of the engine cover and rear seat. Plus maybe - 400 pounds of people ballast.

This is what the wake looked like at 9.5 mph.

Upload
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       01-01-2007, 7:14 AM Reply   
Jeff, I'm not sure if that's tea, coffee, or coco that your surfing in. I certainly hope that whatever it is, that its iced rather than scalding hot:-)

Josh, if your boat is a d-drive then it must be most like the Mobius LS. Jeff’s weighting advice is a good start.
Old     (goatroper222000)      Join Date: Dec 2006       01-01-2007, 10:34 AM Reply   
Thanx a bunch for all the advice. hopefully i get my dad to put the boat in and we'll giv it another try this afternoon. I'll let yal know how it goes.
thanx,
josh
Old     (mitchj)      Join Date: Aug 2002       01-01-2007, 10:54 AM Reply   
Looks like he is surfing in the sewer J/K
Old     (ed_g)      Join Date: Nov 2005       01-02-2007, 9:02 AM Reply   
That "sewer" is home to some of the best wakeboarders and wakeboarding coaches in the world! (Clermont, Fl)

The water color comes from water being filterered thru swamps and tannic acid from cypress trees.

Jeff has described my Moomba Outback set-up perfectly, but the wake shown is not from behind my boat.

(Message edited by Ed_G on January 02, 2007)
Old    surfdad            01-02-2007, 11:43 AM Reply   
Oh shoot! Ed, you're right that isn't your boat!!!! It's not easy getting old! :-)
Old     (ed_g)      Join Date: Nov 2005       01-02-2007, 11:59 AM Reply   
I hear ya :-)

I got a salesman knocking on my door wanting to give me a colonoscopy.

I think that may have been Russ Wilde's (Skiers Choice) latest boat.
Old     (bartush)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-18-2007, 9:58 PM Reply   
u may need weight but im kinda small and i have a 2000 chapparal 22 foot and with 3 people i let go of the handle for over a minute so it all depends
Old     (insuranceman)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-19-2007, 5:45 AM Reply   
Bart, don't take this wrong but you should not SURF behind a i/o.
Old     (vlxray)      Join Date: Mar 2005       01-22-2007, 10:40 AM Reply   
That pic of surfdad is awesome. I've never seen anyone surf in a lake full of Guiness before.
Old     (ed_g)      Join Date: Nov 2005       01-23-2007, 4:09 AM Reply   
Dissin' on my lake - you guys are just darn jealous.

That water in the Clermont Chain of Lakes may be dark tan in color, but it is 72 degrees F as of January 21 with an air temp of 80.

Water gets warmer every day. By 1st of April, it will be ~80. Just in time for the 3rd annual Supra/Moomba Owners Jamboree :-)

(Message edited by Ed_G on January 23, 2007)
Old     (driavlx)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-23-2007, 9:48 AM Reply   
We've got a Malibu VLX and have been trying to figure out the right settings for surfing. We have a board that fits me, but is too small for my husband, so I've been able to surf for a minute or two before I get too far from the wake. Has anyone been able to find the right surf setting for a Malibu VLX? Wedge up, wedge down, halfway up? Ballast settings?
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       01-23-2007, 9:56 AM Reply   
Andrea, the VLX make a pretty nice wake with little effort. What board do you have and how much does you husband weight? How are you setting up your ballast?

I weighted a VLX with stock ballast and one additional 400 pound sack and had very good results. I don't own a VLX so I don't have many opportunities to play with the wedge. When I set up the VLX for a comp the wedge was stuck in the up position, the wake was great.