Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (chopper515)      Join Date: Mar 2005       06-21-2006, 6:22 AM Reply   
I just had the chance to ride my Trickboardz Mojo XL last night. I’m a 6’ 230lb beginner (just started surfing this summer) riding behind a 98 Malibu VLX with a medium to large wake. The only other board I have ridden is my 5’6” Broadcast. I don’t want to give a full review of the board yet because I have only ridden 2 sets on it. I just want to give my initial thought on the board for any other heavy riders considering it.

First of all, I was able to drop the rope immediately and free ride. The first thing I noticed was the lose feeling of the board compared to the Broadcast, which is good considering I bought this board so I would be able to attempts spins. It’s kind of like going from a large center finned wakeboard to riding finless. With the minimal time I have had on the board I wasn’t able to pump the wave as well as I can with the Broadcast, but I think this will come with a little more time on the board. I surfed the Broadcast after 2 sets on the Mojo and I had my best set ever. I think riding a looser board and having to concentrate a little more on stability made riding the Broadcast a breeze. I don’t mean to say that the Mojo is unstable, it just has a looser feel to it. Like riding a wakeskate makes wakeboarding seem easier. I attempted my first 360 and got about half way around and lost control. I definitely think this is a possibility if I keep working on it. Hopefully my weight won’t hold me back.

I’ll post some more comments when I get a few more sets in this weekend.

Hey Ed, have you tried a 360 on your Mojo yet?
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       06-21-2006, 9:37 AM Reply   
No I'm a whimp - no 360s. I break the Mojo free but bring it right back.

I've found that after riding the Mojo for while now and taking the occasional ride on the Broadcast that the Broadcast now feels big and clumsy.

When I carve with the Broadcast I put weight on the back and dig the board in the water for a snappy turn. On the Mojo I focus on keeping the center of toe edge of the board in the wake and working the whole edge, with much less emphasis on working the back of the board. I’d say that my toes are close to the toe edge and my ankles are nearly on the centerline of the board.

Good luck, let us know how you progress.
Old     (chopper515)      Join Date: Mar 2005       06-21-2006, 10:46 AM Reply   
I think I know what you are talking about. On the Broadcast my back leg gets tired faster from using it to maneuver the board. I also find myself constantly trying to slow down on the Broadcast, this could be why my back leg gets tired.

I can't wait until Saturday to get a few more sets in. The forcast for St. Louis is 85 and sunny.

Are there any wakesurfers out there in the STL area?
Old     (chopper515)      Join Date: Mar 2005       06-26-2006, 11:32 AM Reply   
I’m starting to get the hang of the Mojo and I love it! I don’t think I’ll be riding my Broadcast much any more. I’ll keep the Broadcast in the boat and put beginners on it because it’s a little more stable. I tried a few 360’s and I think I’m pretty close. I get my entire body around, but my board goes under about ¾ of the way around. If I figure out how to get video from my video camera to my computer I’ll post a video of it.