Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 23, 2005

Old     (whitlock87)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-22-2005, 5:29 AM Reply   
On my way in this morning, I saw a boat on the freeway with board on its tower.
So I was wondering how many people do this, and if they every had any problems?
Old     (ramhouse)      Join Date: Apr 2004       07-22-2005, 5:35 AM Reply   
NEVER!!
Old    dogbeater            07-22-2005, 7:40 AM Reply   
i always do tow with boards in the rack. what does it hurt?
Old    nautiquejeff            07-22-2005, 8:03 AM Reply   
http://www.endofropegang.com/cpgnuke/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=2196&highli ght=tow+board+racks
Old    dogbeater            07-22-2005, 8:16 AM Reply   
damn the bad luck! i guess i have just been lucky....
Old     (wakehound)      Join Date: Oct 2003       07-22-2005, 8:40 AM Reply   
I've never towed with boards in the racks. Ever have them come loose while out on the lake, and someone spotted them 'just in time'. Ya, no one back to there to spot them coming out when you're going down the freeway....
Old     (bigpapaf1f)      Join Date: May 2005       07-22-2005, 8:56 AM Reply   
"It is so cool to leave boards in the racks. So you can show all of the people your cool new HL boards." I hate when people do that. They are the same people that don't even take them off the rack on the water. They just sit on ski beach all day with there brand new set ups. They wakeboard because it is cool not for the love of the sport. meatballs!
Old     (iagainsti)      Join Date: Apr 2004       07-22-2005, 10:38 AM Reply   
Just imagine your board flying off and going thru the windshield of the car behind you. You will soon find the answers you seek
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       07-22-2005, 11:39 AM Reply   
Someone once said: 'one board in hand is worth two on the road!'
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-22-2005, 11:59 AM Reply   
I wouldn't tow with the boards on the rack for several reasons:

1) Makes them vulnerable to theft.

2) Gets them covered with bugs

3) Not sure how well the boards will stay put going 70 MPH down the freeway.

4)The boards on the rack become the widest part of the rig. I can imagin scraping the boards off trying to make a tight turn out of a gas station.

I always lock them in the locker or in the back of the SUV.
Old    tuck224            07-22-2005, 12:06 PM Reply   
I think you're asking for a problem leaving boards on the racks. Imagine if a board flies off and kills someone on the freeway? You'll live the rest of your life knowing you killed someone because you didn't want to take 15 seconds and put the boards in the tow vehicle.

Old    tigejohn21i            07-22-2005, 1:29 PM Reply   
I do it only if I'm going from the Hotel to the launch ramp and driving at boat speeds or slower.
Old     (tlb)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-22-2005, 1:51 PM Reply   
I see it all the time around here. I also crack up when I see someone towing with the bimini up. These racks and bimini's were not designed to be used at 70mph.
Old     (surfnfury65)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-22-2005, 1:54 PM Reply   
I tow on some pretty narrow roads with transfer trucks back and forth all day. I towed with the boards on the tower once and almost lost them when the truck went by. NEVER again!
Board More/Work Less!
J$
Old     (whitewookie)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-22-2005, 2:09 PM Reply   
It's kinda like wearing trunks over your wetsuit. LAME!!!
Old     (gnelson)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-22-2005, 2:18 PM Reply   
I second that whitewookie!
Old     (kenteck)      Join Date: Jan 2005       07-22-2005, 4:35 PM Reply   
Soon I bet that wakeboard racks and even maybe boards will have stickers saying that they are not responsible and is not advisable to leave boards attached when towing your boat on the road, someday there will be a law suit about a board flying off a tower and hitting someone or causing a wreck, something.
Besides what kind of IDIOT would leave there boards on while driving anyway, The guy that thinks he is tool cool or what!
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-22-2005, 5:03 PM Reply   
I wouldnt tow on the freeway with boards on the racks for all the reasons above,

But What if there was a rack that would hold the boards in the rack with out risk of flying out!

I cant see why the older Mastercraft racks or the ones that Phat Buddy did. Ya know the ones that clamp the boards at the edge couldnt hold them in a way that they wouldnt fly out.

IMO this is what the sport need's a Locking Wakeboard rack that holds your boards in a way that they can not fly out or be removed by thevies. When I take my boat to the lake I have to take up lots of space in the back of my truck to store the boards. If you could carry your boards on the racks safley It would be somthing that I would buy
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       07-22-2005, 6:07 PM Reply   
I agree with Sound Illusions in the fact that it would be great if there were a rack that would lock in the boards. Even so, I was in aviation for 18 years and a hardcore skydiver for 7 so I have some concept of the shape of a wing. I have never sat and looked at the end profile of a wakeboard to see if it produces lift, but sitting in the rack going down the road at 70mph will definitely cause some lift like characteristics. If you don't have it locked in and it doesn't come out, consider yourself extremely lucky. If you have it locked in, it will still cause undo stress on a board that is already expensive and sees its fair share of a stress factor when it hits the water. The fact that the board racks hold the boards in on the water at 40mph + is something to be said for the manufacturers design.
Old     (monstertower)      Join Date: Mar 2003       07-22-2005, 9:14 PM Reply   
The main reason I would never trailer with boards in the racks is if they did come out (or the rack broke) it could do some serious damage to other people, especially at highway speeds. Also, a board that dropped 7-10' to the ground at 25+ MPH would likely have such torn up edges and other damage that would probably make it useless.

Pretty sure every rack manual out there says to not trailer with boards in the racks.