Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 19, 2008

Old     (wmk)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-19-2008, 1:09 PM Reply   
I might be making an offer on a house on the water here next week and looking for some info on lifts. The property does have a boat house with a lift right now, but it is the type with two big straps on chains. Are strap type lifts a feasible solution for a 21 ft wake boat or is a cradle lift needed?

This house is on a canal that can get low on water so i'm trying to figure out the best possible solution.
Old     (rich_g)      Join Date: May 2003       07-19-2008, 2:32 PM Reply   
the straps are feasible but a cradle or bunk style is better.

with the straps you will have to make absolutely certain that they are in the right place everytime, or you could damage the undergear.

As long as you have the lift mechanism and pulleys, you can convert it to a bunk style. You will need a little clearance under the boat to be able to float on and off the cradle
Old     (whistler)      Join Date: Jun 2008       07-19-2008, 2:39 PM Reply   
Dont fool with straps, not only do they not provide the support the boat needs, the straps will make a mess out of you rub rails on your boat.
Old     (wmk)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-19-2008, 5:52 PM Reply   
Thanks guys. I'll have to investigate it further and will probably have to do some midnight dredging in order to be able use a cradle or bunk but it sounds like a much safer and less hassle solution.
Old     (sippi)      Join Date: Dec 2007       07-19-2008, 6:42 PM Reply   
What kind of boat do you have? you might be able to get away with something that will require a lot less fabricating snd without having to dredge as much to fit bunk style lifts. as rich said...basically the "hard work" is out of the way (you would already have the actual "lift" motor and mechanisms to lift a boat out of the water, changing the attachment points of the lift is easy. I designed and built my lifts starting with 3 slots for 3 SN 2001 back in the day and converted one slot that uses a platform and individual bunks for 2 "waverunner" type jetskis and 2 standup jet skies. converted another slots lift to a bunk style for a pontoon boat, and my middle slot to lift a malibu response lx. the response has the ring just behind the nav light on the bow that is suitable for lifting and the two rings on the transom. I used cable that hooks on all three points and lifts it out of the water. its worked great since 03! I am about to have to change that one though as I'm in the market for a new boat and giving rlx to my father (big time trick skier)but no problems at all with the set up! I'd be happy to take some pics if you'd like or be glad to help you with your design if you want to pm me. either way! good luck! like I said the hard parts already done for you!
Old     (rich_g)      Join Date: May 2003       07-19-2008, 8:04 PM Reply   
there was a thread last season about using the jet wash from a PWC to carve out the silt from beneath a boat slip. I did it once when we had record low lake levels. It works and was a no cost option with a borrowed jet ski.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       07-21-2008, 5:39 AM Reply   
You can have a craddle built that will work in as shallow water as straps would work in ...my neighbor has simmilar issues. The steel teh craddle is made of is smaller, and there's more supports.
Old     (tj_in_kc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       07-21-2008, 6:44 AM Reply   
hydro-hoist also makes a shallow water version of the floating boat lift.

http://www.boatlift.com/products.aspx?PT=1

lots of options for you really. there is an inflatable lift that would work too. was a post about it on here a month or two ago...