Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 23, 2005

Old     (aquaticaussie)      Join Date: Aug 2004       06-15-2005, 9:38 AM Reply   
Just got a new custom bimini built for my Nautique Exel and was looking for critiques.

Personally I think it looks like an oversized postage stamp and am quite disappointed with the whole result but the builder is very happy with his work and expects me to be as well.

It was supposed to sit one rung on the tower lower so I can put the board rack on but at this point I can't even do that.

I don't want to have a confrontation over this but really don't see any way around it, am I being overly critical?
Bimini
Old     (norcalmalibu)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-15-2005, 9:53 AM Reply   
well that bimini is so big that you cant put any board racks on it, so your bimini is costing you space. Im not trying to cut down your boat in any way but im not a fan looks like a big square to me. I'd definitly talk to the guy about a redesign.
Old     (d_o_double_g)      Join Date: Sep 2003       06-15-2005, 9:54 AM Reply   
So you want opinions on a BJ??
Not withstanding my personal opinion, the setup is in no way practical for wakeboarding. While it may provide ample shade, it restricts the placement of any racks, unless you plan to use the top-mount style. Even at that, it appears that it'd be hard to reach boards strapped to the top of your tower. Unless you know the builder has experience with these types of boats and setups, do not be afraid to speak up and be a part of the overall design process. Good luck.
Old     (salty87)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-15-2005, 10:02 AM Reply   
it looks like it would really be in the way when rolled up too. if you requested that it be in a different location, that's enough reason to talk to them. did you ask if they've worked with towers before?

i hope they get it squared away for you.
Old    wickedwake            06-15-2005, 10:04 AM Reply   
Speak now or forever hold your peice! LOL. Honestly it is kinda ugly...definetly not practical, I would have already taken it off if I could put my board in my racks, that is a given for me. I dont want to hurt anyone's feelings more than anyone else (Im sure he thinks he did a great job on the design) But sometimes you just have to let your voice be heard. That is my humble opinion.
Old     (aquaticaussie)      Join Date: Aug 2004       06-15-2005, 10:18 AM Reply   
Thanks for the feedback guys, glad it was not just me. It is kind of surprising as I had seen a bimini he had done before and it looked great, although that was on a different tower. The main issue with mine was that the T3 tower is so narrow that it had to go outside of that to get enough shade. (it is zippered around the tower to potentially take it down) But still I at least thought it would follow the contours of the boat rather than having that square front.

Definitely going to speak up as I just found the original notes from our first meeting and it clearly shows it should be lower. Not sure how to make it any less ugly though as I get the feeling he will be less than cordial about having to redesign, which will mean starting from scratch.

I have already spoken with him once about it and he definitely took it to heart, and that was only mentioning the height.

At this point I would almost rather he just take it off write it off to a live and learn.

Old     (roberto)      Join Date: Aug 2004       06-15-2005, 10:37 AM Reply   
If the guy didn't follow your instructions then he blew it. You should have him mod the bimini the way you wanted it. I'm gussing that you told him some specifics about the design, right? If not, then you'll probably have to live with it and just throw some racks on the top of the tower.
Old     (rich_g)      Join Date: May 2003       06-15-2005, 11:13 AM Reply   
The designer / builder went with what he thought was best, and "assumed" you would be pleased. He probably never considered board racks. He can retrofit and scale it down, using the same materials. He should have gotten your final approval.
Old    jsalem            06-15-2005, 12:08 PM Reply   
Paul,
That's not a bimini, looks more like a wing! Sorry couldn't resist (haha). But honestly shade is nice to have, but functional is where it's at. I have a Boss Tower which is also narrow. Johnson's Bimini in Palo Alto did a great job on mine. Give them a call. Did my boat cover as well
http://www.johnsonbimini.com/
Old     (aquaticaussie)      Join Date: Aug 2004       06-15-2005, 1:35 PM Reply   
Yep, seems everyone feels the same way I do, except the guys who made it. Maybe I can sell it to someone with a houseboat, it seems to be the right shape. That square shape really doesn't fit with the lines of the boat.

I will just have to go out there and speak with him face-to-face to see what can be done, after all I had made a very specific point that we needed to put the board rack on it.

Thanks again for the input, it is always nice to get the honest opinion of other boat owners.
Old     (leykis1o1)      Join Date: May 2005       06-15-2005, 7:07 PM Reply   
hey check that out..you dont even have to drive from fuel pump to fuel pump..youve got yours mounted to the back of your boat....thats what i find trick...or is that for ballast?
Old    cobius            06-15-2005, 7:53 PM Reply   
Does it make the wake bigger?
I would take it to a reputable MARINE (notice the caps) canvas shop. Don't write it off...Everything can be fixed...Well, maybe not everything...My local canvas guys worked a miracle with my old bimini after I installed my tower.
Old     (lukeduke95)      Join Date: May 2002       06-15-2005, 7:53 PM Reply   
TUCK THAT BABY INSIDE THE TOWER!!!!

It will look much better! My boat is an old 88' Ski nautique, the boat is already narrow, and with the tower, it is just over 4' wide at the top. My bimini was made from the old frame by chopping out a section. Then we used all new material to make it. The bimini is pretty small, but stil casts a lot of shade. It covers the driver and passenger, but obviuosly ours is a closed bow so that isnt a concern.

I would have him get rid of the side overhangs, tuck it inside the tower, use solid mounts instead of straps, and just basically do it all over again. Nothing personal, but that thing is huge!!!
Old     (lukeduke95)      Join Date: May 2002       06-15-2005, 7:58 PM Reply   
Ph, and by tucking it inside the tower, the boardracks with boards in them will also help to block the sun coming down.
(check my profile pic)

You can see who the boards are at the level where the bimini ends. I think I have maybe like 50-100bucks into the bimini.

My brother is a machinist, and machined the clamps
He also made the mounts to go on the clamps
Bimin frame is old one just cut down about 2 feet.
Modified some plastic bimini parts to get it to solid mount to the tower.
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       06-15-2005, 8:08 PM Reply   
I can see why the guy is proud of his work. It is an inovative way to get it around the tower.HOWEVER, it pretty much looks like a parasail. Just have him build one for you that goes on the inside of the tower. I have a bimini on my 2000 x-5 that goes inside the tower and I have more then enough shade. He can do it too. My personal opinion is that I could care less if he is happy, it is the end customer that has to be happy in order for the job to be concidered a success.
Old     (newty)      Join Date: May 2005       06-16-2005, 5:25 AM Reply   
Thats definitely.... uh... unique!
He dosen't have to drive your boat or store your boards. Who cares if you hurt his feelings.
I have a narrow tower that my top fits inside and I have plenty of shade in the front seats. Mine actually mounts to the tower on the inside bottom rung. Show him a picture. Make him do it right!
Old     (aquaticaussie)      Join Date: Aug 2004       06-16-2005, 9:53 AM Reply   
Definitely need to do something about it, as I am worried that when I get up to speed that the boat is going to take off, which would give the rider plenty of air but really kills the wake.

Honestly I would just be happy to get it dropped down a rung on the tower and have a more aesthetic shape on the front section. Yes, it does provide a lot of shade, but so would strapping a mattress to the tower.

Unfortunately this was somewhat of a prototype and I did not know enough about what I DID NOT want to really hammer out the specifics of what it was that I did want. Basically I expected a regular looking bimini, only going outside the tower. Not really what I got.

Old     (atlsackedup)      Join Date: Mar 2005       06-16-2005, 10:01 AM Reply   
Hey Colorider...I have a 2000 X-5 also (think we've talked over IM before about it) and am looking for a bimini top for it. Where did you get your bimini and can you post any pics of it? Would like to see what yours looks like. Thanks!
Old     (biz)      Join Date: Mar 2004       06-16-2005, 10:29 AM Reply   
Option 1 Have the guy cut a few inches out of the middle of the aluminum frame and add a middle accent piece (red center stripe to match your boat) this will allow the bimini to drop down (vertically) and still go around the legs of the tower and utilize the "wrap-around" he developed for the tower legs. Option 2 Have the guy cut a few more inches than option 1 out of the middle of the aluminum frame and add a larger middle accent piece getting rid of the tower legs cutouts altogether, where the bimini will fit inside the tower... trust me you will have enough shade and IMHO it will look better. Also see if he can put the mounts on the tower itself... that way the bimini will fold down with the tower instead of another piece to worry about. This shouldn't be a big deal... i did it to my bimini as a DIY job.

Also, the most important part... unless he did it for free don't feel bad about asking him to redo it especially if he did not follow your instructions. Worst case scenario... you pay some extra $'s to get it the way you REALLY want it AND it is functional. Don't pay for something you are not satisfied with!

(Message edited by biz on June 16, 2005)
Old     (aquaticaussie)      Join Date: Aug 2004       06-16-2005, 1:06 PM Reply   
Good options TR and it appears a bunch of you are of the "put it inside the tower" opinion. Definitely something worth thinking about.

I am drafting an email to him at present, attempting to be as tactful as possible, giving him the two main issues(the height and the shape) to see how open he will be to looking for solutions. Lets see what he comes back with.

I am also including a comparison photo of mine bimini next to another that I think is much more representative of what one should look like.

Thankfully I haven't paid anything yet, and am not going to until I can get something I actually like.
Bimini Comparison
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       06-16-2005, 8:38 PM Reply   
Andrew, I don't have any pics, but will get some this weekend or friday for ya. I got the bimini from a friend who has a malibu. It was fitted for the malibu, but I modified it to fit my x-5. by cutting down the vertical posts so the bimini fit right under my tower speakers. Then I took the horizontal posts and cut a section out of the middle and riveted a sleave on the ends. So basically narrowed the bimini by about 6 inches so it fits inside the tower. the vert posts mount to the side window frames, and the straps hook to the eyes I installed on the boat. So in a nutshell, I paid 200 bucks for a used bimini and made it work. looks great and fits like a glove. Pics will be on this thread on sunday. Also, a really nice thing about the x-5 with a zero flex tower is that the bimini is high enough so you don't have to duck to get under it and does not get in the way of the tower speakers
Old     (cooze)      Join Date: Jul 2004       06-17-2005, 7:32 AM Reply   
It looks to me like he took a Bimini from a pontoon and put some zippers on it!
Old     (atlsackedup)      Join Date: Mar 2005       06-17-2005, 12:54 PM Reply   
Colorider....thanks a ton for the feedback on the X-5 bimini...sounds like you got a good fit with your modifications. MC factory bimini tops are just so expensive, I'm thinking of getting a monster.tower bimini and then just modifying it to make it fit...for only $425 or so, I'll make it work compared to the $800 that it would cost for a factory bimini.

Can't wait to see the pics!
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       06-19-2005, 8:15 PM Reply   
I was unable to get out on the boat this weekend, but will be out during the week. Will snap some pics. If I had to go with a new one, I would probably go with the one from Monster. It looks cool and has adjustable posts.