Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (skers85)      Join Date: Jun 2013       04-19-2014, 12:45 PM Reply   
Wanted some opinions on the ronix koal, Cortez and byerly volt I've never wakesurfed before and I'll have a lot of different people.trying it out.as.well I advance pretty quick at boardsports so something I can keep.awhile would be great
Old     (MICAH_HARPER)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-19-2014, 3:54 PM Reply   
to be honest if you plan on progressing then none of those boards are a good choice.

Any board from the Wakeboard companys are not gonna be a good choice. Your gonna want a better board that is lighter and faster like most higher end boards ( that's if your budget is good)

Any of the boards from Surf specific companies are gonna be your best bet.

Go check out my guys at www.doomswell.com
Brock and Bryan will set you straight
Old     (skers85)      Join Date: Jun 2013       04-19-2014, 4:48 PM Reply   
Right now the budget doesn't allow for one like that I just bought a boat and other stuff I just pretty much want to get started
Old     (dreamer)      Join Date: Nov 2008       04-19-2014, 8:12 PM Reply   
The Inland Surfer boards are a good place to start. The Mucus is a fun board you can progress on.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       04-20-2014, 2:37 PM Reply   
I've only wakesurfed for one season so far, I have ridden boards mainly boards from wakeboard manufacturers. I have ridden one from a surf manufacturer, and it is by far my favorite. If you are going to get into the sport, they are worth the money.

If you are looking for a cheaper board that you can learn on and also grow a little with, I personally like the Ronix Caption out of all the wakeboard manufacturer's boards I've ridden. It's light and responds well and doesn't have a problem with pearling.
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-21-2014, 9:56 AM Reply   
Skers85, in the long run you will be much happy with a surf company brand board. Of course, most 'surf' companies are extremely new to this and do not know how to make a decent board. You have two basic groups of newbies. People that have made surfboards for a few years, and know the basics of construction and people that are completely new to it and know nothing about surfboard construction except for what they have watched on youtube, etc...

The cortez is an ultra cheap price point board. It is like buying a board from Sam's or CostCo or some big box sports retailer. It makes a better knee board than surfboard.
The koal, was known as a pearler for years. They changed that by flipping the tip. It now looks like an elf slipper. Most people find it hard to ride. The 2013 construction is pretty poor. The 2014 has better construction.

The volt is completely different. It is more of a skim board, or a 'stretched skim'.

Tell us a bit more about your height and weight, wake and riding style, then it will be easier to rec a board.
Old     (skers85)      Join Date: Jun 2013       04-27-2014, 4:22 PM Reply   
The reason I am looking at those boards is I want to have a cheaper yet good board for others to ride so when I get a good one I don't have to worry about someone messing it up. I have a 2001 San is the broadcast a decent board
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       04-27-2014, 8:25 PM Reply   
I personally don't like the broadcast much. It is my least favorite board I've ridden. Everyone that has ridden it with us has never really been a fan. I can't really describe why, it just feels off to me somehow.
It was the first board I rode and learned on, but after riding other boards and learning more I went back to it and liked it less. I don't think it's a good beginner board because it is a little slippery.
Old     (fence_sence)      Join Date: Jul 2008       04-28-2014, 8:01 AM Reply   
I liked the old Volt. The one before they put all the channels in the bottom. It was a good shape and showed some promise. Certainly not a pro level board board but, I felt it was a reasonable starting point. Same with the big Broadcast. Long ago, it was better as the Landlock. If you can find an old green 5'6" Landlock, scoop it up. They make great beginner boards. I took the giant funky plastic fins off and installed some Hyperlite 1.1 A-Wings on and it really pepped it up. Compared to the lunch trays I ride now, it tracks like a freight train but, that's a good thing for newbs.

Yes, nice boards ride light years better but, you can still learn on a cheap board.
Old     (malibu)      Join Date: Sep 2004       04-28-2014, 5:23 PM Reply   
If you buy a wakesurf specific brand you will be happy with your board and your skills will progress much faster. When I started the only wakesurf board out there was the 5'6" Hyperlite Landlock, mine has the graphics reversed ( the red is on top with blue pad and blue on the bottom). That board was famous for pearling and it took me a long time to learn to ride it. I loved the sport so much I kept working at it and eventually new boards started coming on the scene.
Next I purchased a Phase 5 Prop and then a custom Calibrated Piscus.They were a huge improvement over the Landlock and made wakesurfing so much more fun.
I thought I would always ride skim, until I rode a surf style Soulcraft Jetty. I wasn't quite sure how to drive a board with fins at first but I knew that I loved the feel of it. It was alive under my feet and it felt like I was surfing a small ocean wave. I now have a Jetty squash tail and a Fangtail. The Fangtail is by far my favorite. It is fast and responsive to every little move I make. There is a reason the custom boards are more money, the boards designs are so much more advanced than the wakeboard brands. I don't get to spend nearly as much time as I would like behind my boat, but when I do I am on a board that makes my smile and scream like a kid.
Old     (dejoeco)      Join Date: Apr 2003       04-29-2014, 7:49 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by malibu View Post
If you buy a wakesurf specific brand you will be happy with your board and your skills will progress much faster. When I started the only wakesurf board out there was the 5'6" Hyperlite Landlock, mine has the graphics reversed ( the red is on top with blue pad and blue on the bottom). That board was famous for pearling and it took me a long time to learn to ride it. I loved the sport so much I kept working at it and eventually new boards started coming on the scene.
Next I purchased a Phase 5 Prop and then a custom Calibrated Piscus.They were a huge improvement over the Landlock and made wakesurfing so much more fun.
I thought I would always ride skim, until I rode a surf style Soulcraft Jetty. I wasn't quite sure how to drive a board with fins at first but I knew that I loved the feel of it. It was alive under my feet and it felt like I was surfing a small ocean wave. I now have a Jetty squash tail and a Fangtail. The Fangtail is by far my favorite. It is fast and responsive to every little move I make. There is a reason the custom boards are more money, the boards designs are so much more advanced than the wakeboard brands. I don't get to spend nearly as much time as I would like behind my boat, but when I do I am on a board that makes my smile and scream like a kid.
X2