Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 27, 2006

Old     (brad24)      Join Date: Jun 2006       09-13-2006, 4:51 PM Reply   
Hey guys, like the title implies, I'm wondering how durable the BOA system is. I've ridden Murray's and liked the system quite a bit but, now that I am looking at Byerly's, I want to know if they will hold up. If i'm easy on the BOA's and I wash my board thoroughly after every use, will I be alright? Oh, and I'm talking about 05's if it helps. Thanks!
Old     (danrocks4)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-13-2006, 5:12 PM Reply   
i have the 04 temets and the BOAs are great. i used them all season and haven't had any problems, but with the 04's and 05's you have to make sure the caps don't fall off. that doesn't really affect the way they perform it just looks a little ugly.
Old     (jakoerber)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-13-2006, 5:23 PM Reply   
broken close to four sets, im sick of it but yeah other people seem to have good luck with them not me though.}
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-13-2006, 6:05 PM Reply   
My son and I ride 04 Byerlys' and have had no issues with the BOA, luv it.
Old     (brad24)      Join Date: Jun 2006       09-13-2006, 6:18 PM Reply   
thats good to hear because I just tried on some 04 byerlys that had both of the Boa's broken - the wheel spun but nothing moved - i dont think he took care of them though. Also, how are the Byerly's in general Sparky? Do you have anything to compare them to?
Old     (smackus)      Join Date: Apr 2004       09-13-2006, 6:29 PM Reply   
Two pair 04 Temets on two different boards, 2 years plus not a single problem.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-13-2006, 7:06 PM Reply   
I rode 02 Belmonts (front lace) before but didn't like the pressure over the top of my foot so went to rear lace (Byerlys')and like them alot. I like alot of support though, and to be locked down.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-13-2006, 7:09 PM Reply   
...also I was advised when I bought them to take the BOA knob off and check the allen screws that hold the cables on...there were cases of some being left loose.
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-13-2006, 7:10 PM Reply   
06's suck. mine snapped after 4 weeks of riding. woohoo. and i was VERY nice to them.
Old     (seven20)      Join Date: Feb 2003       09-13-2006, 8:17 PM Reply   
they don't send you an extra cable for nothing...i had to stop riding them
Old     (monroeyd)      Join Date: Jun 2006       09-13-2006, 8:20 PM Reply   
I've had the '04 Temets, '05 and '06 Murray's. Liked the '05's best. Had a case of the cable wigglin' loose. Now I carry the replacement kit with my ridin' gear all the time. No probs other than that. My '06's were cool but started to fall apart after two weeks or so. Plus, I think the '05/'04 versions of the binding provide a much more locked in feel, which I like. Hope this helps.
Old     (monroeyd)      Join Date: Jun 2006       09-13-2006, 8:21 PM Reply   
I had no problem with Hyperlite shippin' out a replacement cable. I think I received it in less than a week.
Old     (nj_alex)      Join Date: Aug 2002       09-13-2006, 8:29 PM Reply   
I have Murrays that I used in salt water and over the Winter the boa systems corroded solid. I can't
even get them apart without breaking them. And when they did work I thought they would loosen while
riding. I am no fan of the boa system.
Old     (vec)      Join Date: Feb 2006       09-13-2006, 11:35 PM Reply   
I've had boa system bindings since the first byerlys came with them and never had a problem...
Old     (kevin_garduno)      Join Date: Jun 2006       09-13-2006, 11:42 PM Reply   
I've got the BOA's on the '04 Temets and been riding them for almost two years before the cap finally snapped off. I'm not a big fan of the system in general though, maybe because I broke both of my ankles at the same time in 'em last Fall. A happy note for you to consider. Plus I don't like the whole Hyperlite claw system either.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       09-14-2006, 7:26 AM Reply   
I've got two Byerlys and have been riding them for about 2 years now. I've broken two cables and one winder. Fortunately Performance Surf and Ski hooked me up with a fix right away and each pair comes with an extra cable. In addition to the little allen wrench they provide, you should also carry a small sharp pick to get the broken piece of wire out of the winder if the wire snaps.

The claw system is awesome. Previous to the claw I had to tighten the bolts all the time. I never have to re-tighten the claw.
Old     (doogles)      Join Date: May 2004       09-14-2006, 7:58 AM Reply   
I used to despise the BOA system. However, I've been on the 06 murray's for the last 4 months and am loving them. I have only blown out one pair (off a decent sized double up into the flat water)...which includes riding pretty hard every day, often twice a day. So, although I don't like cranking the little wheel, I have found them to be pretty darn durable. Also, FYI, the reason they dont send a replacement cable for the 06 Murrays, is because there isn't a way to just slide a new one in. Its integrated into the base of the binding....so just got make use of that warranty and pick up a brand new pair if you have any problems....
Old     (99xstar)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-14-2006, 8:16 AM Reply   
I'm going from the '02 Belmonts to the 05' Murrays and am very excited about the claw system. Like John Anderson said, you really had to tighten the bolts before for every run. I really hope that the BOA holds though, little worried.

(Message edited by 99xstar on September 14, 2006)
Old     (lzyboy)      Join Date: Jun 2001       09-14-2006, 9:02 AM Reply   
I have been riding 2x a week most of the summer, I picked up a pair of used 04 Byerly's for 80 bucks and they rock! I have had no issues what so ever w/ mine & I ride pretty hard regularly. I recomend em!
Old     (wakedestroyer)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-14-2006, 12:12 PM Reply   
I have the '05 murrays and after about a month one of the knobs popped off due to my friends stupidity. I was able to ghetto rig it until Hyperlite sent me a replacement. They sent my about 5 replacements so if it ever breaks again it wont be a problem. It is an easy problem to fix as well. Ive been riding them about 3 times a week for 3 months and no incidents since.
Old    fishboatwakerider            09-14-2006, 3:52 PM Reply   
been thrashing my 05 murrays for about 3 weeks. So far, problems... but I've been EXTREMELY careful when releasing the tension so I don't pop the cap off them. After seeing all the posts about broken knobs and the couple of videos on youtube of people showing they're broken boa systems while out on the water.... I'm just hoping that they fail before my warranty expires.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-14-2006, 6:31 PM Reply   
Hyperlite warranty doesen't expire... it's lifetime.
Old     (brad24)      Join Date: Jun 2006       09-14-2006, 6:59 PM Reply   
oh wow rle?! it actually COVERS Boa too?? Has anyone here actually sent their hyperlites in due to a broken Boa system and received them back fixed free of charge?? THAT would seal the deal for me.
Old     (wakedestroyer)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-15-2006, 10:36 AM Reply   
Hyperlite warranty's everything for free you just give them your address and they ship you the parts the next day. ( although hyperlite still owes me some thumb screws and its been about 6 weeks, they've assured me they will arrive sometime...)
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-15-2006, 10:55 AM Reply   
Hyperlites warranty is not lifetime dude. It is one year limited replacement. However, most of the time, if it is relatively new (within last 2 years) they will hook you up with broken parts/overlays. Funny that I say this though, because I have been waiting for 3 MONTHS for my freaking overlays. Any reps from hyperlite here?
Old    fishboatwakerider            09-15-2006, 12:05 PM Reply   
ok so what is it... lifetime warranty or 1 year.. I didn't get any paperwork with my murrays when I bought them and now I'm worried if there is only a 1 year warranty.
Old     (identiti_rider)      Join Date: May 2003       09-15-2006, 3:50 PM Reply   
My byerlys broke on my first day here: http://www.xtreme-gene.com/

It was in the middle of nowhere and I thought that would be the end of my trip. Luckily the guys there are awesome, and managed to get me a new pair of LF alphas in from Madrid, over 500kms away by the next day

I was covered by the warranty though, so got the byerlys replaced when I got back to England. Kept using the alphas though as I found them waaaay more comfy than the hyperlites.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-15-2006, 6:17 PM Reply   
Sorry Bud, but it IS lifetime. They aren't shipping parts out to just anyone who calls anymore either. You have to go through a Rep or send em in through any shop that sells HL.
Edit: Lifetime to the original buyer.

(Message edited by wake_upppp on September 15, 2006)
Old     (brad24)      Join Date: Jun 2006       09-16-2006, 9:04 AM Reply   
i could very well be mistaken but I think the lifetime warranty is just for boards - they always advertise it in the description for their boards but they say nothing like that for bindings. . . are you sure? Does anyone have a box of hyperlite boots that they can check for warranty info?
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-16-2006, 9:09 AM Reply   
Brad, forget what it says and trust me.... IT'S LIFETIME! If you don't believe me, ask your local rep.
Old    fishboatwakerider            09-16-2006, 9:54 PM Reply   
I just dug out my box that my Murrays came in.

Says that not only is it only a 1 year warranty. It's at the manufacturers discretion on whether or not it wants to do anything at all.

Boo hyperlite... please any hyperlite rep... say it isn't soo.
Old     (doogles)      Join Date: May 2004       09-17-2006, 11:53 AM Reply   
I've never had anythign but a good experience with Hyperlite as far as a warranty. This year I have gone thru a set of Parks bindings, two sets of Murrays, two Murray handles, 2 Era's and 2 3DS's. Every single time I had any problem, I brought my gear to Grizzly Sports, they gave me brand new gear on the spot, and then they sent it in to Hyperlite to be replaced or repaired. I actually just blew out a set of Murray's this morning, and they gave me a brand new pair of 2007s. Regardless of what the warranty card says, Hyperlite has always warrantied everything for me even if its a few years old.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-17-2006, 7:38 PM Reply   
"Regardless of what the warranty card says, Hyperlite has always warrantied everything for me even if its a few years old." Chad knows what's up! Roy: don't always believe everything you read! And didn't you just say you didn't get any paperwork with your Murrays'. Which is it did you or didn't you?
Old     (leblanc1)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-18-2006, 3:36 PM Reply   
One of my caps fell off the other day...I called Hyperlite directy and they were happy to send me one out that day.