Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through December 26, 2006

Old     (sulmaxwell)      Join Date: Dec 2003       11-21-2006, 9:23 AM Reply   
Just pulled her out for the year...was able to scrub off most of the algae and such on the bottom(using simple green), the sides..perhaps from sun...still have stained algae..yellow discoloring water line against the white Gel coat...past boats I have used Toilet bowel cleaner and even some acid...that was a couple years ago, and older boats...I am wondering if there are any new secrets...or fabulous products now on the market to deal with these "hull stains"...also..any suggestions other than crawling under the trailer to scrub the bottom...love how the cleaner gets in your ears and eyes!
Once cleaned...what type of wax or protectant do you apply?
Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!
Old     (bvdievent)      Join Date: Nov 2005       11-21-2006, 9:46 AM Reply   
I use a hull cleaner from west marine that works wonders on the hard stains I get from the delta. I usually dilute it with some water, about 50/50 and it seems to make the yellow discoloring dissapear right before your eyes. It does however, completly strip any wax that you have on there off.

Heres the link...

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/producte/10001/-1/10001/72453/0/0/hull%20cleaner/All_2/mode+matchallpartial/0/0

(Message edited by bvdievent on November 21, 2006)
Old     (rich_g)      Join Date: May 2003       11-21-2006, 10:18 AM Reply   
you might check out some CLR at the grocery store. It is specifically for mineral stains, which it sounds like what you're dealing with. Make sure it is safe for fiberglass.
Old     (swab791)      Join Date: Mar 2005       11-21-2006, 10:53 AM Reply   
F.S.R. FIBERGLASS STAIN REMOVER. It is a thick
paste/gel that you apply with a wet sponge.
Works AWESOME
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-21-2006, 12:38 PM Reply   
Sno Bowl toilet cleaner works like a charm and wont hurt the gel. The MC dealer here uses it all the time.
Old    bigdtx            11-21-2006, 12:57 PM Reply   
Any toilet cleaner should do it.
Old     (boss210)      Join Date: Jun 2006       11-21-2006, 8:47 PM Reply   
be carefull with the harsh cleaners. They will strip the paint off of your trailer.
Old     (l7wakeboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2005       11-22-2006, 6:43 AM Reply   
We use Star brite Hull cleaner and that stuff is awesome. You just spray it on and the stains disappear, no scrubbing or anything. We have used it two years running now and have had zero problems. I picked it up at fleet farm after trying everything else I could find.
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       11-22-2006, 8:39 AM Reply   
Zing.

As Phillip said its harsh. Use a spray bottle outside, eye protection, and wipe/rinse it off asap or it WILL burn a hole in your hull.

Your boat will look like new, and its a one hour job.
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       11-22-2006, 9:23 AM Reply   
Dilute Muratic acid with water 50/50. Spray on and then scrub then just wash it off with water. It works miracles. Just make sure you clean the trailer well when you are finished because it will cause it to rust anywhere there is not paint.
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       11-22-2006, 10:28 AM Reply   
Jons way is cheaper, zing is just "prediluted" muractic acid in a more expensive bottle.
Old     (sulmaxwell)      Join Date: Dec 2003       11-23-2006, 3:45 PM Reply   
The Star Brite hull cleaner worked great, After 4 separate applications and soft bristle scrubbing, I will still need a couple more to get the rest of the starboard side..oddly enough that was the side exposed to teh sun..so it seems the stains "baked" right in!!!!
What wax is of preferance!????