Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (slfxm)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-22-2012, 3:05 PM Reply   
I was hoping to find some info. on the new Moomba Mojo but I couldn't find much. I've noticed the wakeworld forums don't seem as active and it's harder to find reviews on new gear online. It made me wonder if wakeboarding is dying. I checked Google trends and it was depressing: searches for wakeboarding have significantly decreased

On the bright side, maybe all those people who were searching Google for wakeboards are actually out riding them now, instead of searching the internet. Or, maybe nobody can afford a boat or gas money any more. Stupid economy.
Old     (Wiatowski)      Join Date: Aug 2011       01-22-2012, 3:14 PM Reply   
Could be the expense of it... I just got down to FL. and was planning on doing some boarding, however something broke down on my van.... so depending on how expensive it is to fix,bye-bye wakeboarding.
I will say too that It's a seasonal thing for most hence the lack of posts and searches. The guy where I was going to go boarding said that the water temp is only 68.... I laughed and told him I finished riding at 55.
Anyways here's to hoping I can ride when I'm here!
Old     (gnarslayer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-22-2012, 5:22 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by slfxm View Post
I was hoping to find some info. on the new Moomba Mojo but I couldn't find much. I've noticed the wakeworld forums don't seem as active and it's harder to find reviews on new gear online. It made me wonder if wakeboarding is dying. I checked Google trends and it was depressing: searches for wakeboarding have significantly decreased

On the bright side, maybe all those people who were searching Google for wakeboards are actually out riding them now, instead of searching the internet. Or, maybe nobody can afford a boat or gas money any more. Stupid economy.
i checked the mojo out at the austin boat show yesterday, it seems that some of the local austin guys liked the wake. but other than that i know nothing.
Old     (stang_killa_ss)      Join Date: Jan 2010       01-22-2012, 5:45 PM Reply   
agreed, it just came out, in the middle of the winter. so there are really any reviews.....
Old     (wakerpunk)      Join Date: Jan 2006       01-22-2012, 5:50 PM Reply   
i can attest to not using the site as much after the update...
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       01-22-2012, 8:13 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by slfxm View Post
I checked Google trends and it was depressing: searches for wakeboarding have significantly decreased
OH GOD, SHUT DOWN EVERYTHING. This is how you judge the health/popularity of our sport? Seriously? And to answer your original question, yes.

Last edited by TheHebrewHammer; 01-22-2012 at 8:16 PM.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-23-2012, 7:29 AM Reply   
This board gets sloooooow during the winter. Only makes sense.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       01-23-2012, 7:57 AM Reply   
The wake scene has gone Social Media, like everything else.
Old     (trdon)      Join Date: Sep 2007       01-28-2012, 6:55 PM Reply   
Social media is for tweens. I dont live my life through a smart phone, on the internet, or any other way I will always be linked up. I dont care about what old high school people are doing, if I liked them in the first place, I would still talk to them now. And I dont need to see people update every 5 minutes about what they are eating, how they are feeling, or what their damn cat is doing.

/rant
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       01-28-2012, 7:08 PM Reply   
word^
Old     (Luker)      Join Date: Feb 2010       01-30-2012, 1:37 PM Reply   
Guilty as charged.

I used to post here everyday... but I moved to the coast and all I do is surf now... and on top of that FB, Twitter and Insta have taken over most of my communication and networking as well so I really only troll around to throw my $0.02 in on occasion now
Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       01-30-2012, 3:10 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by trdon View Post
Social media is for tweens. I dont live my life through a smart phone, on the internet, or any other way I will always be linked up. I dont care about what old high school people are doing, if I liked them in the first place, I would still talk to them now. And I dont need to see people update every 5 minutes about what they are eating, how they are feeling, or what their damn cat is doing.

/rant
How do I "like" this post...lol!
Old     (yeahhh)      Join Date: Feb 2011       01-31-2012, 4:06 PM Reply   
wakeskating is the new wakeboarding. haven't you heard?
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       02-01-2012, 9:12 AM Reply   
Wakeskating is to wakeboarding, what rollerblading is to skateboarding...

Good luck researching your boat. Best looking Moomba yet.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-01-2012, 1:46 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephan View Post
Wakeskating is to wakeboarding, what rollerblading is to skateboarding...
How can you say that when wakeskating actually gets respect from other action sports? And they make winching look legitamte. The top level guys are constantly innovating and getting more tech. How far can rail riding go on a wakeboard? A locked in noseslide to bigspin out is way more impressive than a 1080 while on a 3ft wide box. Wakeboarding is super limiting with winching and rail riding because you are strapped in. A 360 on a wakeboard down a gap is nothing compared to these guys doing 360 flips and heel flips down gaps (and they can also do 360s down gaps too)

Watch this
http://www.wesubsist.com/video/more-than-machines-3/
More than Machines is now available to watch for free. So now people can see how pointless winching and rail riding has become with wakeboards

I have so much respect for boat and cable wakeboarding, but the rail riding and winching has always seemed like a joke to me because of how limiting it is.
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-01-2012, 3:37 PM Reply   
Yes been riding 12yrs and still going strong.

it has been alot harder with the older aged guys turning over(getting injured, married, moving, jobs etc) and trying to find new drivers and cool crews to hang with regularly but yes Im still riding..

we lost about 30 % f the pure riders, 3rds etc to the cable parks. In dfw we have 3 full cable parks within and hour of each other..and one in san marcus plus a small sytemic 2.0 where they hold the pro tour so its left a lot of options for the casual boarder...
Old     (wolfe_drew)      Join Date: Mar 2010       02-06-2012, 1:25 PM Reply   
slfxm - back to your original post. I have been out on a Mojo a few times. The link below is from an early Dec demo. It was the first time this boat had been out. I made it back out a few times in Jan and have some video with a 750 lb (about 3/4 full) sac on top of the stock bag and a 370 lb sac in the bow that I need to get posted up. Shot it with the new goro Hero2 and the size/qualtiy of the file overwhelms my laptop. Anyway, the wave was tall & very long. Conditions both days were crap with strong winds and heavy chop, but I thought the surf wave was very clean considering. Hope this helps a bit.

http://www.moomba.com/msgboard/showt...rst-Ride/page2
Old     (denverlove)      Join Date: Jun 2010       02-21-2012, 11:30 AM Reply   
Just wait til Wake Brothers hits MTV. That's going to be interesting for the sport...... 16 and Pregnant, Jersey Shore, Teen Mom, Wake Brothers?
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       02-21-2012, 4:19 PM Reply   
I'll be stunned if that show lasts more than one season.
Old     (bzubke1)      Join Date: Feb 2010       02-21-2012, 4:53 PM Reply   
Bob soven is pretty entertaining and that's all it really needs to be for people to continue to watch. I see it being kind of like that show ryan sheckler had on mtv. Hopefully it will be more of a fun based show than a drama based show like most reality tv.
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       02-21-2012, 6:59 PM Reply   
My prediction is that no one will give a **** about wakeboarding, but I dearly hope I'm wrong. Also, Bob won't have to hold the show up cause Phil can really turn a phrase
Old     (TBell)      Join Date: May 2011       02-24-2012, 3:46 PM Reply   
Ya nobody wakeboards anymore.... it's all about kneeboarding now!!! Seems to be the new watersport fad. If you wanna be that kid on the lake that when you go by people they just stare in awe, don't even consider wakeboarding, go straight to kneeboarding. Get a head start before all the wakeboarders have switched!!!
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       02-24-2012, 6:36 PM Reply   
haha^^^