Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old     (VinnyA)      Join Date: Aug 2011       08-31-2011, 1:27 PM Reply   
Okay I joined Wakeworld to ask this one question: What should my next setup be?

I need a new setup because I have been riding a 2006 cwb absolute 134 since 2006. I love it, but it’s time for something new. I’m 160lbs and 5’7” tall. Also bought some ronix reliks last season and I love those too, but I bought size 12s unwittingly and I have size 10.5 feet, which makes me cramp after like 10 minutes and makes for an unresponsive ride =/.

I ride in the long island sound, behind a Sea Ray, so my board needs to be able to handle rougher water, and because my wake is on the smaller side I have to pop myself off my wake, almost snowboard style to get the height required to do tricks, so I can’t really afford to lose pop. I also ride at the local cable park, Brownstone Park in Portland, CT. I always have borrowed my buddies FLX when I rode there for fear of ripping out my absolutes massive molded in fins. Buttering around and pressing out is insanely fun and I’d love a board that could do that. Some things that I really liked about the absolute were that it really rode well in the chop and it had the massive center spine for softer landings. Some things I really liked about the reliks is that they were responsive, yet flexy. Because when the waters rough, tweaks and pokes are the only real things to do.

I have been researching around and a few things have caught my eye, in the past I was weary of “all in one boards” because I felt like they compromised, in one area or another to be “all in one boards”, however the liquid force hybrids have really peaked my interest. I like the Shane a lot, the center spine is awesome, and I feel like the channels would make it track well in the LI Sounds never perfect conditions. The Watson hybrid I feel wouldn’t have as much grip. I also have tried the Shane bindings and am a huge fan, flexy like the reliks, but I’ll be sure to buy the right size. Plus, the shane hybrid would work well at the cable park. ( and the rastaboard +rastabindings would be ill). But im hung up on whether or not the wood core would give me the pop I need off of my miniscule wake ?

My brother thinks I should get 2 boards, one for the boat and one for the park. Perhaps a ronix one? Or another board that would work well with a small wake? And an old hyperlite roam Or an old flx? I really like this idea, because I don’t want dings from the cable park affecting my ride and this would keep the park and boat separate. Money is kind of a factor so the 2 board is kind of unattractive, but I do like the idea of not using my boat board for rails. I do not want to settle, I use these boards enough to spend the money I guess.

SO I typed this massive post to bounce ideas off of people because I have not ridden any other boards besides my own and that flx in a while. And hopefully someone who has ridden a shane hybrid, or a ronix one could help me out.

If you want to see me ride/what level im at/what my setup is like look up my youtube channel, “lifesbetteronaboard”. If you’re in ct and want to get together, hit me up please.

Thanks guys - Vinny