Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

View Poll Results: 2012 Board
LF Harley 6 21.43%
SS Response 0 0%
SS Newton 2 7.14%
SS Lyman 9 32.14%
SS Hooke 6 21.43%
Other 5 17.86%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old     (MidwestStudmuffin)      Join Date: Mar 2012       03-26-2012, 9:07 PM Reply   
So the local shop doesn't let anyone try out boards unless you want to pay $100 for each one(plus they only carry LF and Hyperlite) so I need help picking a new board and bindings. I only ride behind the boat so no cable parks for me. I would like a fast board that has a huge pop, turns really well and preferably fairly light. I love going huge into the flats I am currently debating between the LF Harley, the SS Response/Newton or any of the SS boards since everyone here seems to like them, although I have never ridden a flex board before. Also I like pretty stiff bindings and the local shop doesn't have much to try on so any suggestions would be awesome. Thanks guys!
Just in case this helps I'm 6' and usually around 165-170lbs
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-27-2012, 4:26 AM Reply   
LF Harley with the Watson boots. Best setup I've had in many many years.
Old     (jburbo)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-27-2012, 4:42 AM Reply   
I know its not on your list, but based on what you are looking for in a board you would like the Phalanx CW series. Its a fast board with good, consistent pop. You can ride it with the outside fins only and it will be a little more forgiving, but still lock in on edge when you want it to. Or you can ride all three if you like more hold. I have my Company Vandalls on my CW-385, and its lighter than my previous setup. And, its made by Integrity so you know its built to last. Pretty sick board....
Old     (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-27-2012, 10:39 AM Reply   
shane
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       03-27-2012, 1:11 PM Reply   
If you have never ridden a flex board before, I would hesitate to suggest buying one, especially since you seem to be looking at 2012 boards. Thats a lot of money to drop to find out you dont like flex. Do you have any friends in the area with flex boards? Otherwise, ask the folks at the shop if they know anyone who rides a flex board that you could give $10 to demo their board for a day or something.
Old     (MidwestStudmuffin)      Join Date: Mar 2012       03-27-2012, 2:56 PM Reply   
Well boardco.com has a performance guarentee, so I figured I order the Harley and the SS board that got the most votes and return the one I didn't like. Only have to pay for return shipping so it's not a bad deal.
Old     (logan)      Join Date: Dec 2011       03-27-2012, 5:48 PM Reply   
The Hooke and Lyman aren't super flextime like past SS boards but still pop your face off and land it on pillows.
Old     (MidwestStudmuffin)      Join Date: Mar 2012       03-28-2012, 9:46 AM Reply   
Lots of votes for the Hooke and Lyman... What makes them better than the others?
Old     (nautiboy614)      Join Date: Dec 2010       03-28-2012, 11:37 AM Reply   
If you ever make it to Columbus Ohio, I own a wakeboard shop and I make sure to let people ride a board before they buy it. Before I opened a shop, I had the same issue as you.I wish all shops would put the customer 1st and not the bottom line.
Old     (MidwestStudmuffin)      Join Date: Mar 2012       03-28-2012, 2:11 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by nautiboy614 View Post
If you ever make it to Columbus Ohio, I own a wakeboard shop and I make sure to let people ride a board before they buy it. Before I opened a shop, I had the same issue as you.I wish all shops would put the customer 1st and not the bottom line.
That would be nice if they all did and that's awesome that you do that for your customers. I know I would make sure to buy from your shop if I lived there. Too bad I'm all the way down at the bottom of Missouri so couldn't go all the way up there lol.
Old     (logan)      Join Date: Dec 2011       03-28-2012, 3:26 PM Reply   
Lyman will be more of a traditional board but designed to go VERY big, hooke will ride very big too but more flex than the Lyman.
Old     (nautiboy614)      Join Date: Dec 2010       03-30-2012, 10:20 AM Reply   
I am taking my guys on a road trip this summer and taking a enclosed trailer with gear in it.....who knows maybe we will be close enough where you can come ride with us.
Old     (stang_killa_ss)      Join Date: Jan 2010       03-30-2012, 11:47 AM Reply   
ever wonder why you never see any slingshots on the podium on the pro tour?
Old     (logan)      Join Date: Dec 2011       03-30-2012, 6:37 PM Reply   
^^ Because they spend more money on designing/manufacturing boards than on the people that ride them.

Pretty sure Oli D. had a podium or two this year though.