Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (silverlude)      Join Date: Apr 2004       09-09-2011, 7:03 AM Reply   
Have been looking for a v-drive for months and finally settled on one. The Bu VTX. It's 15hr drive away and have been getting feedback from friends and a few reps to "just hold off for awhile as end of season/winter trade-ins will be out there for purchase" That's a valid point but I like the boat I'm looking at and price is ok.(30hr round trip drive sucks) Hate to pass up a bird in the hand for one in the bush. Seems alot of people are holding on to what they have due to the economy. If I go get it now it will sit in my barn till April before we can use it again so that kinda makes me want to wait but... I do like the one I'm looking at. Looking for feedback on peoples experience of waiting on trade-ins ect... has been and do you think there may be ample boats (VTX specific) for purchase over the next 6mo?
Old     (Bumpass1)      Join Date: Oct 2010       09-09-2011, 12:36 PM Reply   
I was in the same place as you this time last year. Go with your gut. If it the boat that you want and are good with the price, then go for it.

I started searching around October last year. I found the one I ended up buying about 8 1/2 hours from me. I did all of the research on the boat, arranged payment, and scheduled a trip ti check it out. From the first call I made to the day I went to pick it up was about a month. Long story short, I believe that if it is meant to be yours, then it will be there when you are ready.

Good luck and keep us informed on your decision. We love pictures also!!
Old     (SkySki)      Join Date: Feb 2010       09-11-2011, 5:12 PM Reply   
I am waiting myself. I have bought and sold 4 boats in the last 10 years. If you buy now, do not go looking online. It will only piss you off when you see a better deal. I am going to start looking in Nov-Feb. That seems to be the best time to buy in AZ/CA. I have bought all 4 boats in CA and drug them back to AZ. I don't know the deal you are seeing right now on that boat, but I can say I passed on a few boats last winter and by April similar boats were close to 10k higher in price. I was traveling for work so I couldn't buy. Good luck either way.
Old     (Bumpass1)      Join Date: Oct 2010       09-11-2011, 5:43 PM Reply   
By the way, i found mine in January and picked up in Feburary.
Old     (nailem)      Join Date: Apr 2011       09-12-2011, 5:54 PM Reply   
east cost i think best time to buy is north/east starting mid of September to October by end of October they are winterized and put away, south/east October to November. i drove from Erie PA to Florida for mine last year and two years ago we picked up my brother-in-laws in Florida. best time to sell is May in my opinion.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       09-13-2011, 6:37 AM Reply   
I agree that September / October is the best time to buy. A lot of guys, like me, put their boats up for sale near the end of the season so they can avoid paying for winter storage. (Too bad you don't want a loaded 2011 A22 'cause mine's for sale!).
Old     (silverlude)      Join Date: Apr 2004       09-13-2011, 6:43 AM Reply   
Appreciate the input guys. After weighing many factors and input I think I'm just gonna go get it done. Was supposed to leave tomorrow but due to complications, made me postpone till next week. Gettin stoked, hope it's all it's reported to be when I get there. I've seen alot of good pics ect... so hopefully no surprises.
Old     (nailem)      Join Date: Apr 2011       09-13-2011, 7:55 AM Reply   
just a thought but take a compression tester with you. if you do not have one autozones will lone you one. it does not take lone to do especially if you have two people, one on each side of the motor.
when i got down to mine 16hrs away it had water in the gas which got me thinking i better check the motor. i checked the compression in a autozone parking lot. #1 was weak and #7 dead. the owner had no idea, new nothing about motors.
i bought it with the assumption that worts case i would need a new motor. turned out that the two cylinders had tuliped valves that can be caused by water in the fuel.
long story short i would take the hour to test it, better safe than sorry. good luck. i love my boat and got a great deal.
Old     (silverlude)      Join Date: Apr 2004       09-13-2011, 10:55 AM Reply   
Thats a great tip for sure.They had the compression tested already and sent me the test results. I have a buddy who is a 20yr boat mechanic and he gave me a whole list of stuff to have verified before I make the drive. the guy had no problem with that as he wanted it verified so he can get his asking price ect... without hassles. Still gonna test drive it and make sure all pumps,ect... are all in working order.
Old     (stang_killa_ss)      Join Date: Jan 2010       09-13-2011, 11:01 AM Reply   
yeah the best deal is usually the one in front of you. go for it!
plus buying a boat at the end of the season, then having to stare at it all winter before you can ride it would suck hard.
Old     (silverlude)      Join Date: Apr 2004       09-13-2011, 12:08 PM Reply   
Cory, just gonna give it the TLC treatment, 303 all the inerior/upholstery, carpet cleaning, ect... We hunt Oct-Dec and bowl on league Jan-Apr in the winter so it goes fast. Actually ,we are too busy for the most part, but it keeps me out of trouble. Not looking forward to the drive but my son goin down with me so should be a good time. Definetly lookin forward to next season, but the boat I have has been a great one. The 205's are great hulls.
Old     (Woody)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-14-2011, 10:31 AM Reply   
Does anybody think that the best deals can be had in the winter time?
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-14-2011, 10:40 AM Reply   
No. Most people expect to get more for it once Spring/summer come around, so they wait to put it back up till then. In any cold climate, October is the best time to buy because they don't have to winterize and store it. Once they do that, they will wait with the expectation of getting more for it after winter. Buying now also let's you do the work or additions that you may desire over the winter, rather than when you would be out using it in the warmer months. If it's what you want, don't wait on it, boats go fast this time of year, and if they don't, come back at increased prices in Spring. Now people that just need to unload their boats are a different story, as well as those with personal heated storage.