Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 17, 2007

Old     (lakepirate)      Join Date: May 2007       05-20-2007, 2:14 AM Reply   
So, I had myself setup to purchase a beautiful 03 Wakesetter VLX as my very first boat. Everything....I mean everything was in order. The financing, the insurance, all that stuff was set. Then, the owner decided to just quit returning my phonecalls for about a week now, so I've come to terms with the fact that his plans have changed. Oh well. Anyways, I'm back on the hunt now and ran across a pretty nice '05 Calabria Pro V today. I don't too much about Calabrias and wanted to get some opinions on them. The wake, motor, interior, etc. Thanks in advance
Old    kidrik            05-20-2007, 8:16 AM Reply   
Love it! The "room" is incredible, and the storage as well. (102 in. beam). The Pure Vert ballast system rocks!(no pumps) 700lbs. full in 90 seconds...and empties in 30 sec.!(you can add more weight as needed, plenty of room in lockers) The wake is rampy and wide. It has a Mercruiser Black Scorpion engine. It came completely loaded!

There are obviously many boats out there, but you asked about Calabria, and I have one, and love it! It's been perfect for my family, and our needs. Good luck.

Upload

Upload

Upload

(Message edited by kidrik on May 20, 2007)
Old     (john30)      Join Date: Nov 2003       05-20-2007, 8:32 AM Reply   
I agree with Rik, I've got an 02. Over 450 hours and still charging strong! Mine responds well to a 350# bag in the bow aisle, one 250# bag in each trunk and factory 700#. I've heard they are much better now with the trim tab.
Old     (dgarland0)      Join Date: Apr 2003       05-20-2007, 8:47 AM Reply   
I have Cal-Air and have been very happy with the quality of the boat. I think it would be a very solid choice.
Old     (bummerkit)      Join Date: Apr 2003       05-20-2007, 9:20 AM Reply   
My buddy has one. nice boats but my only gripe is that if you have little kids its really easy for them to fall over the edge, cause the floor is really shallow. the seat backs barely come up to my lower back.
Old     (bummerkit)      Join Date: Apr 2003       05-20-2007, 9:21 AM Reply   
that being said, i would definatly consider buying one.
Old     (eargasm)      Join Date: May 2007       05-20-2007, 11:25 AM Reply   
I own a 06' Pro V. This was our first boat purchase. We tested alot of boats( X30, 24ve, 23 LSV). All were very nice boats. For the quality, options and price you can't go wrong w/ Calabria.
We are very happy w/ our purchase. Comfy for at least 12-13 people, plenty of storage and a great wake. Trim plate helps alot with sizing & shaping of wake. Happy Boating! Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-20-2007, 12:01 PM Reply   
For the price they are great. Absolutely huge inside for a 21' boat. They do need additional weight for a really good wake though, due to the wide beam on them. They are really nice boats, and underrated IMO.
Old    kidrik            05-20-2007, 12:24 PM Reply   
Nice boat Shawn!

Hey, have you messed with the trim plate yet? If so, what have you found has the best result?

Is all that gear waterproof? Sweet party machine.....
Old     (eargasm)      Join Date: May 2007       05-20-2007, 12:43 PM Reply   
Hey Rik, thanks. The trim plate is sweet! When I start out towing I have the PerfectPass @ about
21.5mph, ballast full, trim plate all DOWN.Once you plane on water trim all UP and watch the wake
grow and shape HUGE! I also have 525 lbs. of batteries in rear storage compartments. So that helps alot too...folsom lake party machine
Old     (john30)      Join Date: Nov 2003       05-20-2007, 12:50 PM Reply   
Do you get a bunch of sway in the tower with all those NVS's while people are riding or otherwise?
Old     (eargasm)      Join Date: May 2007       05-20-2007, 12:52 PM Reply   
With all the NVS up there it's about 80lbs.
I notice a little sway when I have bigger riders
200lb.+
Old     (cdl)      Join Date: Oct 2006       05-20-2007, 12:53 PM Reply   
Not to get thread off topic but whats the story with the turn tables?
Old     (eargasm)      Join Date: May 2007       05-20-2007, 12:57 PM Reply   
I've been spinning vinyl for about 15yrs. and
tought it would be kinda fun to incorporate the
two things I love doing best. It's a real clean
set-up & can be set up & tore down in minutes.
Pretty much only take it with for special events.
( sound-offs, boat shows, etc.)
Old     (closedtoe)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-20-2007, 12:58 PM Reply   
Does anybody have pics of the wake?
Old     (eargasm)      Join Date: May 2007       05-20-2007, 1:09 PM Reply   
This is fri. night @ Folsom.
06' Pro V w/ 700 lbs. ballast, trim up. 525lbs.
batteries.Upload
Upload
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-20-2007, 6:48 PM Reply   
Welcome Sean,

Nice to see you getting on the boards. It was cool seeing your setup in person at the Spring Ride. Jeff and I thought it was funny as snot talking to your wife about your addiction to your boat.
Old     (tomcalabria)      Join Date: Feb 2006       05-20-2007, 7:24 PM Reply   
The trim tab on the newer models helps a lot. The wake has a tendancy to wash out without it. It has a fat asssssssss so it needs a little more weight to get a kickin wake. I love mine. For the money it is still one of my favorite boats. The dealer (Larson) has also been good to work with. My only complaint is a problem that they are having with ;the windshields.
Old     (tomcalabria)      Join Date: Feb 2006       05-20-2007, 7:28 PM Reply   
Shawn, I saw your boat at spring ride and I thought that your boat had one of the coolest ideas with the turntable. I look forward to partying with you all this summer on the river or on Folsom!

(Message edited by tomcalabria on May 20, 2007)
Old     (eargasm)      Join Date: May 2007       05-20-2007, 9:18 PM Reply   
Hey Cliff & Tom,
We had a great time @ spring ride, little windy on Sat. but overall kick ass time. Met alot of new people & saw alot of nice boats. Can't wait for next year. Cliff, have you been ridin much
since you got back home? How's the weather. Been
windy down here almost everyday.
Tom, send me an email when you go out to folsom next time we'll hook it up.
Old     (derf1956)      Join Date: Sep 2006       05-21-2007, 7:21 AM Reply   
IMO you can't go wrong w/Calabria. There are bigger companies and bigger prices but I love mine and have talked to the guys at the factory a few times and can't ask for nicer people.
Old     (sharkb8)      Join Date: Jul 2005       05-21-2007, 8:43 AM Reply   
I've got an '05 Pro-V, and absolutely love it! Great quality, huge interior, and a great boat for surfing (with stock ballast and a 750lb sack in the port locker). I'm 6'1" and this pic is of me just dropping in, not at the bottom of the wave yet!

Shawn, was that the cover that came with your boat? If not, what is it? I just got a new Loud Liquid setup (8 6x9's on the tower), sub, amps, etc...and they do some great work.Upload
Old     (eargasm)      Join Date: May 2007       05-21-2007, 11:31 AM Reply   
Yeh that is the cover that came w/ boat from Larson Marine Rancho. Props to Loud Liquid they do great work over there, good bunch of guys.
Old     (hemihauler)      Join Date: Jan 2006       05-21-2007, 11:35 AM Reply   
Patrick,
I have an 04, so no wakeplate, but it has been a great boat. A ton of room for people and great storage. I also think it is a great value for the money. Sharkb8 do you have both sides of the purevert filled in the pic, also how far back can you surf? Tom I have read that you have yours set up with alot more weight than Sharkb8, do you have any pics of your surf wake. I just got a 750 for the back locker, I was just wondering about weight in the bow.
Old     (sharkb8)      Join Date: Jul 2005       05-21-2007, 12:53 PM Reply   
Rob,
I have both sides of the purevert filled, and just the 750lb fat sack (usually not filled totally) in the port locker. I also have my 3 kids (about 250 combined at time of this photo) sitting on the port side. Thats it. In this photo, I'm just dropping in, so the wake looks washed out further back, which is not the case if the shot is taken a few seconds later. Depending on the conditions you can surf up to 20 feet (or more depending on how many occupants working as extra ballast) back and still have enough wave momentum to get you back into the sweet spot (which is usually 6-8 feet off the back of the swimstep). Its about the easiest boat I've ridden in to set up for surf...
Old     (hemihauler)      Join Date: Jan 2006       05-21-2007, 1:17 PM Reply   
Thanks Sharkb8,
I hope my wake will look like that with just the pure and the 750. I will find out on Saturday.
Old     (mammoth)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-21-2007, 7:59 PM Reply   
Here is another Pro-V surf wake. Full tanks, 460 in the locker with 3 kids and 3 adults. Very surfable wave, but we plan on going a little bigger this season.

Upload
Old     (tomcalabria)      Join Date: Feb 2006       05-21-2007, 10:43 PM Reply   
Last time out surfing, We had two full 350 pound fatsacs on the surfside in the rear compartment 1 750 pound sac on the seat stock ballast full on wake side. 400 lbs in the walkway. We had it leaning so much to the side that people thought that our boat was sinking. The surfwake was large. I am thinking that I need to substitute a little size for a longer wake but it was pretty good either way.
Old     (tomcalabria)      Join Date: Feb 2006       05-21-2007, 11:08 PM Reply   
Here is mine. I am looking forward to getting some surfwake pics soon.Upload
Old     (uofamox)      Join Date: Feb 2007       05-25-2007, 5:12 PM Reply   
I love my 05 Pro V. It has plenty of everything. People space, storage space, throws a solid wake and handles the rough water well. Did I forget the pure vert, it is the greatest. Fill up 700 lbs in 45 secs and dump in 10 secs. I have been at the factory and meet the guys and they were great. I bought my first Pro V last year and plan on buying a new one next year. I tie up every sunday for partying and this boat sizes up against very well especially for the price.
http://img145.imageshack.us/my.php?image=millertonaugust6024largec5.jpg