Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 07, 2006

Old     (uppledup17)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-02-2006, 4:32 PM Reply   
After reading about the unfortunate news about Dallas Friday I was curious if injuries and incidents like this have an effect on your progression. Not going for a new trick for fear of injury. I guess the reason I ask is I am not 20 anymore, coming close to 27 actually, and I would love to try inverts next year but I also have a lot of people that count on me daily(family owned business), is it worth the risk? Does anyone else have these thoughts.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-02-2006, 4:35 PM Reply   
accidents can happen, anywhere, anytime. i think the safest thing to do is to not try things out of our grasp. if your fundamentals suck, you better not be tryin' any inverts. if your fundamentals are good, maybe you ARE ready for an invert. just ride within your abilities and you'll be fine. if something should happen, then see the first line of this post.
Old     (ldebbold)      Join Date: Jun 2006       10-02-2006, 4:50 PM Reply   
I'm more afraid after reading this board for a few months than I ever was riding without the knowledge of the frequency and severity of injury in this sport. I snow ski as well and generally wreck worse skiing than wakeboarding even though I'm a much better skier. If I injured myself boarding it would probably get into my head. I don't like to end a session on a fall, but especially not on a bad fall. If I'm thinking about getting worked it definitely makes me more timid. I'm with Joe, ride within your abilities and be patient with yourself. I'd love to try a backroll or a 3, but I can't see myself throwing my body around like my 16 year old crew until I was pretty sure I had a chance to land it.
Old     (jeff359)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-02-2006, 4:55 PM Reply   
About four years ago, I took my knee out on a simple wake to wake 180. A real freak thing, and don't understand why my knee gave. I was working on a few inverts and 3s at the time.

I never got back to that level, because of fear.
Old     (treycleaton)      Join Date: Mar 2005       10-02-2006, 4:55 PM Reply   
Maybe a little, I am 32 and blew my ACL/MCL boarding two seasons ago. It has definitely made me think twice about charging hard, especially with all my responsibilities these days
Old     (dluttr)      Join Date: Jun 2006       10-02-2006, 4:56 PM Reply   
Adam, I understand exactly what you're talking about. I just turned 42 and own a business. If everyone had confidence and no fear, then many of us would be pro wakeboarders. After having a bad fall a couple of years ago, trying to go W2W, it's taken me awhile to try it again, much less anything else.
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       10-02-2006, 5:02 PM Reply   
It has hindered my progression. I got hurt alot when I was a kid and it sucks. I've also witnessed some pretty nasty injuries in wakeboarding and I would be lying if I said they didn't affect me.

I would be alot better if I had more balls in this sport, but I probably wouldn't be nearly as healthy.
Old     (ccryder)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-02-2006, 5:03 PM Reply   
I can relate, I have cracked ribs, broken my leg twice, sprained my ankle and strained both MCL's. I have spent more summers injured than riding, but I just keep coming back for more. I have also realized all my injuries have been related to trying tricks in poor water conditions. The last two seasons have been injury free when I pass up a ride or restrain myself in so-so water conditions. The injuries do stifle my progression a bit, but I am still trying to work through the mental block to keep progressing and know when I am pushing my limits.
Old     (otiswunguy)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-02-2006, 5:06 PM Reply   
I agree with cosmo cat, its not the injuries that freak me out, its the fact that my family depends on me. This makes the injury a much bigger factor than pain and recovery time. Like Joe said" ride within your ability."
Old     (uppledup17)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-02-2006, 5:11 PM Reply   
I want to be like that Jim, still moving forward and progressing but I think about being on the shelf for 6 months to a year and knowing that my business and mostly my pocketbook will suffer. This growing up Shiat sucks....but I think Joe you put something in perspective for me in his first statement. I can fall off a ladder tomorrow and be out 6 months, so what's the difference? If I don't post anything tomorrow call the ER.
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-02-2006, 5:18 PM Reply   
In my age and situation,YES !

Im 36 & I've been riding seven plus years and ive lost more tricks then i have now and while i still have some inverts left i am afraid of the big injury that will keep me out of work which in turn can make a person lose the boat and all the goodies ;)

as of now i am riding with grade 4 tears of the meniscus and lateral meniscus ,so i pick and choose when to go all out and the perfect situation to try a new trick here and there but i can't even go big at all with this injury..

My being careful(smart) to this point has kept me from the big injury up to this summer ,i feel lucky to ride this long without a something real major happening.I dont let people push me into doing this i dont feel comfortable trying.I love butter and no other boats around with a few good friends along,those are the days i push myself a bit more .

So ill continue to not push it in hopes to ride a few more years..
Old    358army            10-02-2006, 5:37 PM Reply   
does fear hinder progression...... does a one legged duck swim in a circle..... unfortunetly yes.... people fall, it comes with the teritory of the sport. it sucks but just imagine if everyone could land anything with out getting hurt....
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       10-02-2006, 5:47 PM Reply   
jeff, in 03 I took out my knee on a wake to wake 180 too. I never thought in a million years that that'd be the trick that would do me in, but with my boat being a pile of crap and a super air being mad super, yo, you can go too large, land with too much weight on one leg and in she'll go. I had an acl avulsion, a torn meniscus in two spots, another surgery and then a knee infection.

I think fear can help keep us safe, but if you are interested in progression, you have to know when to trust yourself. As far as snowboarding is concerned, there have been some rails that I've been afraid to hit, and especially with my first legitimately gapped step up styled rail, i was nervous as all get-out. But ultimately, I trusted that I could do it and after a few falls, I did what I wanted to do. I learned a lot from that experience.

So I'd say it's about trusting yourself, and then finding out that you can get up from that fall and do it again.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-02-2006, 5:55 PM Reply   
Something a lot of people overlook when it comes to falling is that there is a talent and skill to it. In every sport that involves falling the best athletes are those who can fall correctly. Look at motocross, snowboarding etc. those guys wreck hard core, but they know how to fall and can walk away. They fall in a smilar fashion to a cat, they understand the physics, dont fight the motion and try to stay loose. The same can be said for wakeboarding. Most professional wakeboarders are professional "fallers", lol. They know how to fall and not get hurt, thats the only way to learn new tricks.

Understanding the physics of it and not fighting the direction of force helps. Then again I wrecked my ankle this summer, lol.
Old     (lizrd)      Join Date: Jul 2002       10-02-2006, 5:56 PM Reply   
I'm serious when I say that purchasing extra insurance has helped my piece of mind. I ride horses and I wakeboard ... something is bound to happen sooner or later. With medical costs being what they are, only one Dr. visit would be one too many. That being said I am a big believer in walk before you run -- get your 180s before you try inverts and spins, stay in shape and ride within your limits -- and wear an approved vest.
Old     (marvin)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-02-2006, 7:08 PM Reply   
"accidents can happen, anywhere, anytime. i think the safest thing to do is to not try things out of our grasp. if your fundamentals suck, you better not be tryin' any inverts"

True Joe, True
Old     (jay_j)      Join Date: Apr 2005       10-02-2006, 7:18 PM Reply   
No one ever wants to get hurt, thats for sure! The thing is, if you want to try..... stick a trick, you have to make sure to go hard as hell on it and give it 110%. If you half ass something, then the likelyhood of getting hurt goes up.

Joe is right, never huck tricks that are out of your ability. I made that mistake first hand!!!
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       10-03-2006, 8:45 AM Reply   
Also, consider the riding repitition that goes into riding at a higher level. The guys stomping tricks arent once a week or twice a month riders. They put in some serious time several times a week to get that kind of feel for their ability. Taking aggresive sets after not riding for a while is a greater risk.

IMO, fear shouldnt really hinder progression. i think you are the most safe when trying new tricks. You are braced for impact, and expect the outcome to be uncertain.

How many people do you know where seriously hurt on new tricks? I dont know any. Everyone I know that was hurt, was hurt doing tricks they already know. They allow that false sense of security lull them to be too lax. They expect to recover a sktechy situation on an easy trick so they dont bail on it like they would a new trick.

Dont fear progression, fear comfortability.
Old     (darv)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-03-2006, 8:56 AM Reply   
I plan to buy a boat next spring and I have been lurking here for a couple of months to educate myself about boats and the sport. I'm 35 and I've been wakeboarding for about 5 years as a third. I've never had a major injury. After reading all the injury stories on this board I actually considered not buying a boat. What you have to keep in mind is how many people post here. I don't think proportionally this sport is any worse than any other. Maybe better. Accidents happen, ride within your limits and have fun!!

Derek
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       10-03-2006, 9:00 AM Reply   
Matt,

There's some truth to that. Knowing how to crash can certainly decrease your chances.

It's the crashes to don't see coming that get you though.
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       10-03-2006, 9:42 AM Reply   
My biggest thing is don't try tricks that are outside of your skill level. Maybe it's fear, but I really do progress very slowly and fundamentally. Ollies, then 1 wake, then inside out, then over a roller, then I try it wake to wake. You get the point.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       10-03-2006, 9:44 AM Reply   
Its funny how you hit a certain age, and lose that twenty something agression. I wish I would have started boarding when I was 18. I would probably be pretty good.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       10-03-2006, 10:06 AM Reply   
I'm going on 33 and with the exception of this season, I continue to improve every year. That 20 something drive is stll there. You just have to tap into it.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       10-03-2006, 10:08 AM Reply   
At 28 y/o having to walk into my office on crutches after a broken ankle makes me think twice about trying to progress fast. Like David my progression is slow as well. Breaking that ankle screwed me for a good 4 months, and even almost two years later it still seems to get tweaked easier.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       10-03-2006, 10:25 AM Reply   
After my nasty compound tib/fib break in '03 working on scarecrows, I stopped trying to 'progress' and concentrate on riding with fluidity and having fun with my friends. I do have extra accident insurance on my health insurance policy, but honestly, learning big new tricks on a wakeboard is not worth not being able to walk for 2.5 months. That being said, 4 months after I was out charging it, doing tricks that I know how to do.

I have also started barefooting a lot more, as it is much lower impact on your body, so long as you don't hit anything in the water.
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       10-03-2006, 10:57 AM Reply   
Tim (and some of you older guys), you should give kiteboarding a shot. You have complete control on how much impact you want on any given day. Get a much bigger rush, do the tricks you love, much easier on the body, and wind is free!!

You control the kite, so you can come down hot and hard like a double up, or slow and pillow soft. You can ride in chop and its ok, or take it to the ocean and ride waves. You can toss it in a golfbag and fly anywhere in the world and ride. No need to only go places where you can find a boat or hook up a pull. Got a sweet flatwater cover that is too shallow for boats? No problem, you can still kiteboard there.

Lot of options once you learn to fly the kite. you should check it out!
Old     (steve_jones)      Join Date: Jun 2006       10-03-2006, 11:00 AM Reply   
Re-read Joe Umali's and Matt Winans' comments above. And then to add on; Fear is always there. It never really goes away. You just learn to keep it in check as your skills get more tuned. Learning to fall and understanding the motion of each trick is KEY.
Old     (foxrepdc)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-03-2006, 11:03 AM Reply   
I spent 20 years racing MX, and almost 10 of those as a pro. I did mostly local Southeast events, a few Outdoor Nats, arenacross, and several SX races and took my fair share of big falls and injuries.
To me...wake has minimal risks compared to bailing off over LAND. I still throw a leg over a bike now and then and go out and try to find my old pace, and can still huck some pretty big stuff at 37. When am at speed on a track, I can't imagine hitting the ground from 20+ feet in the air or higher, nor getting bucked off on a fast, rough section full of invisible land mines at my age, but for some reason...even though I KNOW it can happen, I don't fear getting hurt at MY LEVEL with wake. If I were throwing Parks Bonifay sized double-ups, I'd be concerned about the landings. I also never ride above what I think I can do, even though I have a couple of young guys on my crew that are progressing fast and keeping up with me after only one season and I am a psycho competitive guy!

Being ACTIVE and physically fit gives a person a ton of confidence. I seldom workout but, I STAY active and in motion, and if I'm not at the lake, I'm skating with my son, snowboarding in the NC High Country,riding horses...(some good some bad horses!), or hunting....or something. You can't sit at a desk M-F, eat burgers and hotdogs and Cheetos all week and expect to stay wrapped tight either!

Wake, snow, and skateboarding all contribute to strength and conditioning of the lower extremeties, and most of your upper body. That to me is a key ingredient to staying healthy while you ride. Keeping a locked lower frame is key in all board sports, and if that frame isn't strong and healthy....you run risks.

I did come out swinging hard in the Spring, in cold water after dieing to ride all winter and tweaked my knee a little, and have strained some ligaments, twisted ankles and other things, and took a few hard spills that numbed me all over this year, but nothing that set me back much.......although I KNOW the risk for something simple and stupid, no matter how careful you're being is always there!

As I've typed this speech.....my wrists have gone numb from falling off my skateboard Sunday night onto concrete, jamming both of them pretty good! I think that's the hardest fall on concrete I've ever had without at least fracturing something! Had I not just saw my 9 year old son pull off an impressive set of spins, 180's, kick-flips, manuals and a big ollie, I probably wouldn't have even got on the damn thing!

Indo boards help a ton with balance, all the lower ligaments strength and flexibility too.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-03-2006, 12:10 PM Reply   
Let me add that you need to Respect the sport, or any sport for that matter. I occasionally hear people say "its only water, it cant hurt that bad". This is a very close minded approach that can result in an injury. I personally try to stay really focused when I ride out of respect for the things I do, like J-rod and other's have said, its the falls on your stock tricks that you didnt see coming that hurt yah. Or trying a new trick and taking it as big as possible immediately .

A good example of my "how to fall" statement is the big air contest at x-games. First off those guys are absolutely insane. But aside from that did you notice how everytime one of the fell, they simply slid down the ramp and didnt make any effort to get up, change directions or stop. They simply let their inertia take them, until other forces caused them to stop. They knew where they were going and just let the energy take them, usually down to the flatbottom or halfway up the quarter pipe.

I cant even imagine dropping into the roll in, ten freakin stories up!
Old     (cdl)      Join Date: Oct 2006       10-03-2006, 12:42 PM Reply   
Just reading the above comments and agree that everyone makes good points. I'm 33 and consider myself an active person. As we get older and have more responisblities I think it is smart to have a little fear(common sense)that we lacked in our younger years. We should always ride within our ability. Four example this summer I was with a guy that was trying to do a 180 landing switch and couldn't even ride switch! You are asking for trouble doing that but someone else landed a 180 so he wanted to try.
And to my main point is that it's ok to think and do things that you would do in your 20's. But for the most part most of us have put on an extra 20-40lbs and haven't done much to prepare for the season. So get out there and workout and get in shape so your body can take the punishment you put it through on the weekend. It's not that you are older, you are just more than likley more out of shape than you where at 20.
Old     (kylielogan)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-03-2006, 12:57 PM Reply   
It has definitely hindered my progress. Whoever said water doesn't hurt is full of sh*t! They obviously haven't face-planted as hard as I have. But I'm still up for trying tricks, I just have no desire to try anything like inverts. I would like to do 180's off the wake and w2w and I would totally be willing to learn a raley. That's about it. I'll just sit back and watch others in the crew do the rest!
Old     (jman)      Join Date: Jul 2004       10-03-2006, 1:11 PM Reply   
I was very hesitant about trying my first 360. after a couple good hard falls i wasn't so worried anymore. only a 360 but same idea i guess
Old     (jjakober)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-03-2006, 1:20 PM Reply   
I will be 37 tomorrow and have blown out both my knees and broken my femur, so I definitely think about the tricks I am going to be doing. I have been generally healthy for about the past 4 years and I am finally back to a level of riding that has me wanting to try new tricks. It's funny because I spent most of this year getting back the tricks that I had lost after my injuries, but the last 2 times I have gone riding I have just gone out and tried stuff I haven't done before and it's been great. I think the biggest thing is to keep yourself in shape and stay within your limits. I broke my femur doing a Raley back in 98 and that’s the only trick I used to be able to do that I haven’t tried since.(I guess you could call that fear!!)
Old     (foxrepdc)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-03-2006, 1:33 PM Reply   
Kylie...this coming from a woman who ate it CHIN first off a longboard!!!!???? You're a tough one.....go big!!!
Old     (kylielogan)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-03-2006, 2:01 PM Reply   
Foxy - funny you mention that, cuz it sounds like you're right there with me on those longboard crashes! ha! Where we usually ride is across the street from a hospital and I swear every time I get in the water, Flight for Life takes off. I always wave so they know I'm ok. p.s. Why ya tryin' to get me killed?? LOL!