Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through October 07, 2003

Old     (louise)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-10-2003, 5:54 PM Reply   
Well, we are almost done with our trip around the U.S. and I just realized something:

Only Jonathan outside of Dallas made any hint of a gracious offer to us to ride with him in the Texas area.

We hear so much about these generous and hospitable Texans, but only one from the entire state even thought enough to offer us a ride, let alone well wishes? What happened to you guys in Texas?

Your star has been tarnished and you were terribly outshone by the Californian crew, the Seattle area crew, the Midwest Militia and other midwestern crew members, and even the East coast all the way down to Florida bettered you. Tsk tsk tsk, ne'r ad much of a taut fo Texans and e'en now my opine as surely lessened somewhat.

Thanks to everyone that offered a ride, gave us a ride (the Burkes), and helped us along the way (Kevin Geary).

And, if anyone is going to be near Lake Powell September 14th - 18th, let us know. We are meeting up with my dad and his pontoon boat for some time on the water.

solsearch.us
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-10-2003, 6:43 PM Reply   
So how was the trip????
Old    wakeboardjo            09-10-2003, 8:25 PM Reply   
Sorry but I don't have a boat. I am not sure if many Texas people really read these boards. Did you post on GulfCoastWakeboarding site?
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       09-10-2003, 8:46 PM Reply   
Let me see if I understand this correctly. You make a big road trip, mooching rides along the way, then slam a region because you didn't get offered enough pulls? I have never heard the Red Cross slam anyplace because they don't get enough donations in the area.

Nobody is obliged to give traveling boat mooches rides. Traveling mooches should learn to be more respectful and gracious.
Old    wakehawg            09-10-2003, 9:23 PM Reply   
Being from Arkansas, I would normally jump on any chance to bag on anything about Texas... However .. all I can say is a great big WTF?!?! You heard about the hospitality of Texas and were disappointed? Nothing like moochin and complainin....

PS .. Go Hogs Go! Beat the Shorthorns!!
Old    wakejunkeygirl            09-10-2003, 9:32 PM Reply   
DAMMMMMMMNNNNNNN! Yeah,,,what he said..
LOL
I'd have to agree with Jeff, and besides
*between all the people we ride with, ussually 3-4 different boats, there is normally just enough room for all of us,,sometimes only 1 run each, on evenings after work* so even if I was in Texas I seriously doubt I would offer someone who is 'just passing thru' any of my precious ride time...its limited enough with sometimes only 3 days a week,,sometimes 5, but nonetheless......
Old    saxosham            09-10-2003, 9:36 PM Reply   
Thats funny Jeff!
Old    itsinthahole            09-10-2003, 9:55 PM Reply   
nice dress
Old     (supersport)      Join Date: Dec 2001       09-10-2003, 10:13 PM Reply   
Dont mess with Texas! Thats where the 'Lockbox' is hidden.
Old     (3puttwilson)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-11-2003, 4:58 AM Reply   
So don't go back to Texas begging for a ride.
Old    leggester            09-11-2003, 6:21 AM Reply   
Hehehehe, I think your "Reverse Psychology" failed miserably.

Of course foilers are the ones with the most hospitality!
Old     (yooper)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-11-2003, 6:59 AM Reply   
Good point, Matt. I still have to try your foil. I just didn't get a chance when I was in CO in July.
(is it bad etiquitte to mooch a ride and then not go?)
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-11-2003, 7:09 AM Reply   
Louise,

I think I just heard a loud WOOOOOOOSH over everyone else's heads as I read this post. Keep in mind you aren't talking to the likes of Swass, Teak, or Masterpainter on here anymore.

You go girl!
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-11-2003, 7:10 AM Reply   
Being from Texas, I am on the lake every weekend. How are we suppose to know about a traveling "moocher".
Old    leggester            09-11-2003, 7:20 AM Reply   
LOL Jamie! I have to check with Miss Manners on that one.

And no Cliff, it's just a newer crowd here.
Old    wicomico            09-11-2003, 8:02 AM Reply   
i might go to grad school at UT next yr and if you Texans don't offer this mooch a ride...! actually, if people give me pulls in Austin, i'll gladly compensate by whoring out my sister.
If any mooches are coming to Md, let me know bc i'm not out hunting for moochers looking for pulls either, not a top priority
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       09-11-2003, 8:59 AM Reply   
Explain it then, Cliff
Old     (salty87)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-11-2003, 12:04 PM Reply   
will....you know the next question.....

pics?
Old    jakeman            09-11-2003, 12:54 PM Reply   
My Momma taught me to never pick-up hitchhikers.

sorry bout yur luck
Old    wicomico            09-11-2003, 1:24 PM Reply   
salty-
pics of the river i go on? boat? i hope to god you don't want pics of me (they aren't flattering) if its the river, i'll get some, its great no wakeboarders, glassy a lot. not the most glamorous river but good for wakeboarding
Old     (wakeboysmom)      Join Date: Feb 2003       09-12-2003, 10:50 AM Reply   
Cry me a river...
Old     (salmon_tacos)      Join Date: Jan 2003       09-12-2003, 12:10 PM Reply   
Will,

I think he meant pics of the "merchandise" you have offered in exchange for pulls.
Old    boarderbrother            09-12-2003, 12:21 PM Reply   
if no-one will explain, let me perhaps shed light on the subject. louise you see is a very cool chick who i`ve had the privilige to meet and ride with and if you knew her you most likely give her a pull no problem. as for the selfish non-givers on this site, shame on you! i`ve met a lot of people by giving pulls that ends up benefitting me. you know thows days when you don`t have a third. yeah i give pulls begrudgingly sometimes but by giving people a pull you can meet real cool people and sometimes they end up being part of your crew.
Old     (aaronlee13)      Join Date: Jul 2001       09-12-2003, 12:50 PM Reply   
Doug, I give pulls to people from message boards quite frequently (given there is room and such) And I know alot of people here do to... But just because she wasn't offered a ride, you can't talk smack about an area. What if people didn't have room, weren't going on the water... etc... IT happens. I know I'll post stuff saying i got room, or need a ride but didn't work out.. That's not right to talk smack cuz it didnt work out...
Old    damnation            09-12-2003, 12:59 PM Reply   
It's just a joke people. Lighten up. Louise and Gerson are so cool you wouldn't even believe it. Not to mention that they have been on wakeworld forever.
Old     (raider40)      Join Date: Oct 2001       09-12-2003, 1:00 PM Reply   
Louise - I'm very disappointed that you think that of my State. Perhaps if you would've posted on one of the local sites (Dallas, Austin, Houston) you would've been able to get a ride. The Dallas site is a large group that would welcome anyone to come ride with us. Boats are out everyday.

Check us out at www.dallaswakeboarding.com

PS - If you're in the area again let me know and I'll give you a pull behind the X.
Old     (noneya)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-12-2003, 1:53 PM Reply   
Well for all who are saying how cool she is, for those of us who havent met her/them its hard to tell, especially when they post bashing/complaining that they didnt get offered a ride. I'm on here all the time and I didnt know they were looking for a ride, I'm in Dallas and have hooked up with several people on here (and other sites). Actually after this post I'm really glad I ddint offer a pull, you have to appreciate it when you can bum a ride, not get bitter/hateful if you dont get a handout.
Old     (garyw)      Join Date: Jul 2001       09-12-2003, 1:55 PM Reply   
Louise, I'm sorry that I missed you on Mason Lake, but I was in between boats at the time. If you can make it back here on your way home (just a slight dertour from lake Powell to So Cal via Seattle)Be glad to pull you behind an 04 VLX
Old    jakeman            09-12-2003, 1:56 PM Reply   

I feel u

it's friday and I can't find a pull

/\

Old    wakehawg            09-12-2003, 3:11 PM Reply   
Whether you know her or not, or you are new here or not I still don't think its cool to bag on a state because you didn't get free rides. Obviously no-one knew about her being there, because look at the offers in hindsite... if anything she didn't plan ahead, and the lack of pulls was her own fault... Should i go down to Beaver lake by the docks looking for a pull, then come back on here and complain when I don't find one?
Old     (trey)      Join Date: Aug 2003       09-15-2003, 8:01 AM Reply   
It is interesting to make a post like that and not really explain how you didn't get a ride...

Where exactly did try to get one? This message board? The Texas Message boards?... Sit at the dock and wait for someone to ask?...

Houston, Austin and Dallas all have clubs with websites dedicated to help riders find rides.. If you didn't check there, it sounds more like a lack of preparation...
Old    airjunky123            09-15-2003, 3:48 PM Reply   
Louise, really sorry you got that impression. Sounds like you had already had a predjudiced opinion. But if you were serious about riding in Texas, why didn't you take me up on my offer or at least e-mail me for more info? I have always been about spreading and sharing the stoke of watersports. You obviously have friends who think highly of you and I would have taken off work to hit the lake, have a great spot for your motorhome or trailer. Like I said, I was just 5 min. off I-20. I just think bashing the state is a little harsh considering you didn't consider the offer made to you.
Always ready to meet new folks and ride.
Jonathan
The offer still stands.
Old     (bruce)      Join Date: Feb 2002       09-15-2003, 5:12 PM Reply   
Louise- You'd be welcome in my boat, but I don't take any whiners. Sorry!
Old     (butterflybdr540)      Join Date: Apr 2001       09-16-2003, 12:01 PM Reply   
Yeah I am sorry too if you were in Houston. Should have went to our site or emailed me
www.gulfcoastwakeboarding.com

B
Old    swass            09-16-2003, 12:03 PM Reply   
WOOOOOOOSH!!!!!
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-16-2003, 12:50 PM Reply   
Louise - sorry but it sounds like someone needs a little lesson in wakewhoring 101.

Angi - shuttup. you're whole post made me want to scream! You can't agree with Jeff then say that. I've ridden with Jeff and I know that he would give up his turn to let someone he didn't even know get a pull. I get about 2 pulls a week on decent water, and I too love my "precious riding time", but I would give up some time for someone else. I hope that they would be grateful. Promote the cause, don't try and hoard the sport all for yourself.
Old    swass            09-16-2003, 12:57 PM Reply   
"Angi - shut up." Oh, how I've wanted to say that. Cathartic, isn't it?
Old    leggester            09-16-2003, 1:12 PM Reply   
Watch it man, the friendly couple from FLA will bw bagging on you next :-)
Old    swass            09-16-2003, 1:26 PM Reply   
Oh, I've had my share already. That's OK though - I don't have enough hair to need a stylist.
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-16-2003, 5:04 PM Reply   
lol swass! love it. luuuvvvvv it!
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-16-2003, 10:04 PM Reply   
Just like old times, eh. Quite a few WW old school'rs postin still
Old     (roskow)      Join Date: Oct 2002       09-17-2003, 6:53 AM Reply   
Might as well chime in with the old schoolers. What the heck are you all talking "mooch". You guys have no clue. Go home to your fenced in( or fenced out) home where you probably don't even know the guy two doors down. I think the word you are looking for is "sharing", sharing life.
Solsearch.us ? Did you find it?
Chow
Roskow
Old     (butterflybdr540)      Join Date: Apr 2001       09-17-2003, 7:18 AM Reply   
huh?

hey whats up BOB!

B
Old     (garyw)      Join Date: Jul 2001       09-17-2003, 8:35 AM Reply   
Way to go Roskow
Old    riverfreak            09-17-2003, 9:10 AM Reply   
texas is like its own little country....should have went to the local sites, dallaswakeboarding.com, there are tons of peeps who will pull anyone! -
Old     (butterflybdr540)      Join Date: Apr 2001       09-17-2003, 9:37 AM Reply   
Yeah dont come South we suck down here. We don't wakeboard.. hehe

B
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-17-2003, 11:49 AM Reply   
B,

What's with the conservative profile? I hope you haven't lost touch with your wilder side.
Old     (butterflybdr540)      Join Date: Apr 2001       09-17-2003, 12:54 PM Reply   
Cliff,
Thought it would be nice for people to see my face for once and not the pick undies! haha

B
Old     (02wakesettervlx)      Join Date: Jun 2001       09-17-2003, 1:56 PM Reply   
Easy people, where's the love? We spent a weekend with Louise and Gerson, and they are far from being mooches. We gave them a pull, but they bought dinner. That's not being a mooch. Unfortunately, you guys missed out on an opportunity to meet two very nice, intelligent, and unique people.

I have been to and ridden in Texas, and I had no problems. We did bring our own boat, but the locals were friendly. It seems that if you're down by Lake Conroe, which we were, there's really only one thing to do at night though....Papa's on the lake. All kidding aside, Lake Conroe was beautiful, and we stayed at Del Lago in a lake villa, which was also beautiful. The only thing that I saw that was wrong were all of those stupid sea walls.
Old     (louise)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-18-2003, 5:35 PM Reply   
I think the biggest wake I ever saw was the one that went over many of the above author's heads

Thank you Cliff, Swass, Shawn, Christopher and any other that defended our honor - I am glad to know that there are still a few of us left on the board. (Shawn, that restaurant was one of the best we visited on our trip - thank you again).

To the Texans easily offended and difficultly humored, I cannot apologize. I have been in Texas too many times and found the thick air leads to thick thinking.

- you see these, they mean I am kidding, you know, funny ha ha...

We are presently in Utah after finishing a few great days on Lake Powell and we will be returning home this weekend. Then a few weeks at home and off to South America. Look for the updates as we locate (mooch as it has been succinctly called) internet hookups.