Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (petrey10)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-05-2010, 7:48 AM Reply   
I know I have seen a couple people that have put the bedliner material on their swim platforms... I am wanting to replace my teak swim platform with a custom platform and was thinking about maybe using 3/4'' plywood and coating it in a couple coats of herculiner or a similar project. Anybody have any pics of these type of platforms...

Here are my reasons for wanting a custom platform

1) My current teak cuts in big time to the surf wave so new custom one would be designed to not do this

2) Want the new platform to be white as I think it will look better with the boat

3) I hate oiling teak... and the previous owner of mine did not take care of it so some boards are starting to warp

4) Its a pain to get my tie down straps between current platform and the hull to tie down the boat for trailering and since my boat is always trailered this would be awesome

5) I think the teak is somewhat slick at times but im clumsy i guess so I would improve the traction of the new platform

6) In my mind the new platform is goin to look so much better.... haha

BTW I currently have a 2001 Tige 20i

This will be my winter project if I can figure it out
Old     (regalado1)      Join Date: Dec 2005       08-05-2010, 8:11 AM Reply   
I had mine sprayed with Linex. I like it. Not too rough, even for bikini bottoms. Nice traction on it, very durable. I like mine and would do it again. I'll see if I can find some pictures for you.
Old     (regalado1)      Join Date: Dec 2005       08-05-2010, 8:13 AM Reply   
Here ya go.
Attached Images

Old     (vanagonwake)      Join Date: Oct 2007       08-05-2010, 8:39 AM Reply   
A buddy of mine did and it worked out nice. Feels good and fairly good traction.
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       08-05-2010, 8:46 AM Reply   
My experience with Herculiner is that 1) it's as rough as like 40 grit sandpaper and 2) it's not nearly as durable as something like Rhino or Line-X

I would do it up right and have it sprayed with the good stuff. I can't imagine they'd charge too much since it will be really easy compared to a truck bed.

If you want to go the DIY route I found the Duplicolor stuff in the spray can to have a more skin friendly texture. Haven't ever used it in a high wear area though.
Old     (petrey10)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-05-2010, 10:37 AM Reply   
Well Ok here is my other thing.. If I am going to do the plywood route I would like to have a pad on top and hopefully one with the Tige logo.... So I don't know if I want to do the line x/rhino thing as its rough surface will be horrible for the pad adhesion.... Idk what do you guys think? I need some opinions here
Old     (mattscraft)      Join Date: May 2009       08-05-2010, 11:13 AM Reply   
I have an MC fiberglass platform W/rubber pad. I have seen this done on another MC with Line X right up to the rubber pad, so you have the protection of the Line X to stop the board scratchs and the pad for a non slip surface. His was black though, so the match was great. Mine is navy blue, tougher to match, but I have heard they have a clear. I sure am tired of buffing out the scratchs and thinking Teak would be easier!
Old     (petrey10)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-05-2010, 11:16 AM Reply   
teak would not be easier..... trust me... especially if you bought a used boat that the owner didn't really pay attention to the teak...
Old     (jonnymatrix5)      Join Date: Jul 2010       08-05-2010, 11:24 AM Reply   
What is the cost of doing the Rhino or Line-X on a teak deck?
Old     (petrey10)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-05-2010, 12:39 PM Reply   
I would hope its 100-200 bucks... my truck is 450 so at least half that if not more
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-05-2010, 12:45 PM Reply   
I looked into it and the shop we use at our dealership has a $150 minimum charge.
Old     (hunter660)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-05-2010, 2:11 PM Reply   
Would 2 layers of 3/4" marine plywood be strong enough?
Old     (petrey10)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-05-2010, 2:13 PM Reply   
o ya... how many brackets does ur platform have? Mine has 3 and a rhino lined 3/4'' ply board would be plenty strong enough... at least I would think
Old     (hunter660)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-05-2010, 2:14 PM Reply   
Mine only has 2. One each about a foot from the ends.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-05-2010, 2:18 PM Reply   
Whenever someone mentions this it makes me cringe. I see you are making up your own platform with plywood which is just fine. I just can't imagine covering a beautiful, expensive piece of teak with bedliner.

I still don't understand why people think teak is that much work. I spent an hour with a cleaner, brightener and brush on my dad's yacht platform and it looks beautiful. I haven't put oil on but that doesn't take much time at all. To compare his swim platform is at least double the size of a ski boat platform. It is also a piece of teak from 1987 that spent most of it's life in the salt water in San Diego.

Last edited by polarbill; 08-05-2010 at 2:21 PM.
Old     (hunter660)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-05-2010, 3:14 PM Reply   
In my case, it's not the fact that it is too much trouble. It is for two reasons, one, the previous owner didn't take care of it and I had to sand A LOT of material away to get it looking new. Now, after half a season on wakeboarding there are lots of scratches that will need to be sanded out again. Also, due to it not being taken care of, there are a could boards that have split and made the platform weaker. I do not want to risk it breaking. The other reason is I would like the platform be deeper from the boat and also not have any holes in it to let spray from my FAE up into the boat. It would be MAJOR $$$ to build a new one with teak so I am exploring other options.
Old     (cinder1995)      Join Date: Aug 2002       08-05-2010, 7:01 PM Reply   
I looked into making a teak platform (before resurfacing my fiberglass one) and found a company that sells just the wood, and you use your old brackets.

http://www.fpmarine.com/
Old     (idaho_hillbilly)      Join Date: Jun 2009       08-05-2010, 7:14 PM Reply   
Here is another vote for NO on lining swim platform!! The previous owner did it so I don't know what product he used, but here is what I thought of it:

Felt like sandpaper. So everytime you got out of the water you were rubbing up against 80 grit sandpaper! That's after I attempted to sand it down!
It didn't provide that great of traction. Once it was wet, it was just as slippery as teak.
Scrapped the crap out of my boards when I laid them on it.
Trashed my young daughter's swimming suits.

It took me 30 minutes with a power sander and some teak oil a couple times a year to make that teak look brand new.
Old     (petrey10)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-06-2010, 6:14 AM Reply   
yeah I am leaning more towards painting it sanding it down super smooth then poly urethaning it (clear coat) so now it will be super smooth then put a pad on top... white pad too it should look nice!!
Old     (idaho_hillbilly)      Join Date: Jun 2009       08-06-2010, 7:26 AM Reply   
Teak is a real oily wood, you might want to do some research on how Poly U. reacts with teak. The white pad is a cool idea....you need to post some pictures of that when your done!
Old     (petrey10)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-06-2010, 7:46 AM Reply   
will do... I might go to 1'' ply if I can find it as it shoudl give me a better edge...
Old     (dukeno1)      Join Date: May 2006       08-06-2010, 11:59 AM Reply   
I get made fun of by my friends because of my teak platform. They call it my "coffee table" because it looks like a piece of furniture...lol.
All I have done is put teak oil on it from day 1 (I am the original owner) and each day when I put the boat away it's the last thing I do. I probably use a half
to 3/4 of a bottle of teak oil a season. Don't know if that's a lot or not but she looks pretty sweet to me!
Old     (ryanw209)      Join Date: Jan 2010       08-06-2010, 5:30 PM Reply   
Please do not do this. No offense to anyone but it looks terrible! Just oil it once or twice a season and it adds so much class to a boat. Just my opinion...
Old     (hunter660)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-06-2010, 6:31 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanw209 View Post
Please do not do this. No offense to anyone but it looks terrible! Just oil it once or twice a season and it adds so much class to a boat. Just my opinion...
Oil will not make my platform bigger, not do they make pills to do the trick. I will accept donations in the form of cash or teak if you would rather me build a new platform out of that.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-12-2010, 10:36 PM Reply   
I'm with Ant. My boat is black as well and I think it would look nice, and I like the low to no maintanence.
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-13-2010, 7:24 AM Reply   
Here's how I handled my teak platform. It was a pain to oil it all the time and I wanted it to always look like fine furniture...

Lowe's or HD carry Olympic Brand deck stain. The color I chose was Natural. hit it with some 200 grit, then maybe a 400 grit and a 1000 grit... Get the wood how you want it, then throw on 2 coats and your deck will look glorious all season long. Now you have to restain each winter before you store it away, but once a year is a ton better than twice a month with the teak oil...

Old     (unclejessie)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-13-2010, 9:05 AM Reply   
is it slippery when it's wet?
-Uj
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-13-2010, 11:34 AM Reply   
LineX or the Olympic stain? The Olympic stain is not slick.
Old     (unclejessie)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-13-2010, 12:18 PM Reply   
Olympic
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-13-2010, 1:01 PM Reply   
not any slicker than reg teak platforms.
Old     (petrey10)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-13-2010, 2:00 PM Reply   
that does look nice...
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-13-2010, 2:48 PM Reply   
I used HippoLiner