Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       01-14-2010, 3:12 PM Reply   
Upload

So I have a friend of a friend that has some serious hard-diskitis... is this normal?

I'm also getting a case of the External-Driveitis.. so I started playing around with FreeNAS and now I'm looking into lime-technology's UnRaid for a possible NAS storage solution to consolidate this mess.

I have redundant backups with some onsite and others in the safe deposit box, but I'm curious if anyone is using a service like backblaze.com, mozy.com, carbonite.com, onlinestoragesolution.com, etc.. for online storage backups? Most run around $60 for a year (and claim unlimited storage, but the drive has to be attached to the machine.. so no NAS, network/,mapped drives)
Old     (cali_rider)      Join Date: Feb 2004       01-14-2010, 4:53 PM Reply   
yo fu - I easliy have over 25 tbs for my client and i just raid 5 everything, once the footage has been used to its year limit i dump to externals....

With that said, raid 5 or 6 for a master raid is the best way i think, then have a similar set up as your safety else where....

If you do the online way let me know how it goes, that sounds like an interesting option.

-TV
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       01-14-2010, 8:06 PM Reply   
Thanks Travis! Is that 25 TB in one system or a total of HDs that you've collected over the years?

I actually had some video stuff on a RAID 5 and then in one week I had two drives fail followed by the third drive just weeks after. The irony is that they were Western digital RAID EDITION (RE) drives and they failed after only three years (good thing for the five year warranty, bad thing for my data) To date three drives out of eight have failed and now I'm waiting for the rest to go any day.. :-(

Now that I have received my replacement drives (btw - Western Digitials RMA process is very easy and can be done online) I'm rebuilding my system with a RAID 6 to get that "extra" drive of security, but I understand that a RAID is not a back up solution hence the NAS / online back up investigation.

I just opened a trial account at backblaze and after installing their application it targeted 180,734 (674,323 MB) files for back up. When I clicked on "how long will my first back up take" it returned "Relax... your data will be backed up in 317 days" hmmmmm
Old     (mikel_j)      Join Date: Aug 2008       01-15-2010, 4:44 AM Reply   
I think the transfer times are the deal breaker for online storage. Just not practical (yet) when you are talking terabytes.

I use raid 5 for online files and then go to LTO or DLT for offline storage and archive. They claim something like a 100 year shelf life for the tape backups.

I like the pic btw..
Old     (mammoth)      Join Date: Apr 2005       01-15-2010, 6:04 AM Reply   
How about a Drobo (pro?)?
Old     (cali_rider)      Join Date: Feb 2004       01-15-2010, 9:27 PM Reply   
I agree with mike, DLT is legit for hard copys, a little $$ but worth it. But pitching it to my client would be a huge hurdle.

Drobo is ok, not a real hard set raid in my opinion, plus only firewire.

-Dave I have 1 8tb (6.3 actual) Proavio raid enclousre with Hitachi deckstar drive. (its all i use, i feel that they are the best on the market striaght up.) That unit is set for raid 5.

Then i just got a stardom itank...i think... its also an 8 bay. But this time i used 2tb disks which are awesome. I have to sets of 2tb mirror raids. One is just another pool, the other is something i can pop out and travel with, since i have to bang out edits same day as contests now. need the drive speed. then the other four 2tb drives are jobd for archival purposes....

still not ideal, since i have 06 and 07 on random Graid disks...

trying to get a 16 bay fiber set up and the old raids will be the achive and located else where most likely.

My personal stuff are on mirrors, just havent had time to double back them up and send a copy to the parents to hang on too. to be is not a reason but its what i am going with.

like i said please let me know how the online workflow turns out.

hope all is well my friend.

TV