Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 10, 2005

Old     (mnwakerider)      Join Date: Jun 2004       05-25-2005, 12:49 PM Reply   
Hey guys, I am finished installing my new MonsterTower and I am about to attempt to wire my tower DIY speakers. The instuctions that came with were a little confusing... Any suggestions or knowlege from past experiece? Any thing will help out. Thanks a ton!
jb
Old     (skibum69)      Join Date: Aug 2004       05-25-2005, 12:51 PM Reply   
john, I am in the middle of running new wires in my monster tower today, if you can wait until tomorrow, I can send you some pics.
Old     (monstertower)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-25-2005, 10:35 PM Reply   
These should help, check out the bidge dumps and bezels at Dana Marine, very nice . . . link at www.diyTower.com

These are not as current as I'd like, but should help

Old     (mnwakerider)      Join Date: Jun 2004       05-25-2005, 11:10 PM Reply   
Thanks a ton Bill, the tower looks sick and I hope it doesnt rain tomorrow so I can giver hell. I didnt know if there was a better way than out and in out and in. This clears my question. Jason, I would love to see how things turn out. Hope all goes well!
Old    wickedwake            05-26-2005, 6:27 AM Reply   
Im going to wire my Monster in a few weeks. But how do you pull the wire through the tower tube?
Old     (skibum69)      Join Date: Aug 2004       05-26-2005, 7:29 AM Reply   
Clay what most people do is, have your two holes drilled say in the vertical tube. Put a string in the top hole with a small piece of tape on the end. Put a vacuum hose on the bottom hole and feed the string with the vacuum running to get it to the other hole. I had no problems with that, but using the string to pull the other wires through is where my problem was. But I think I was using too many wire for the hole. I didn't have luck with that method running wires across the top bar, so tonight I will just use a fish tape or stiff wire for that one.
Old     (lukeduke95)      Join Date: May 2002       05-26-2005, 8:41 AM Reply   
Hey Jason-

Thats what I di for mine, except- Pull the string through with the vaccuum, then tie 1 speaker wire onto it, the tape the rest of the wires to the end and pull the first wire through, then feed the bundle and use the 1 speaker wire to pull through all of the rest. Using a wire instead of string worked much better for me, otherwise the string isn't very strong.

1- run string through pipe
2- pull 1 speaker wire through pipe using string
3- tape bundle to speaker wire that is in pipe
4 slowly feed it into the pipe, and pull using the speaker wire that you ran in step 2.
Old     (skibum69)      Join Date: Aug 2004       05-26-2005, 9:20 AM Reply   
Luke, thats basicly what I did, but being I had so many wires, they would have a hard time going through the holes once the bundle started going through
Old     (lukeduke95)      Join Date: May 2002       05-26-2005, 11:14 AM Reply   
Oh, forgot to mention if it is a really large bundle, like 4-5 sets, it is best to stager them a couple inches apart, then tape all the way down, it makes for more scrap, but will allow you to pull more through, without having to worry about them seperating, or losing one inside the tube.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       05-26-2005, 9:47 PM Reply   
Here is mine

Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       05-26-2005, 9:50 PM Reply   
Through the hull

Old    bigdeal            05-28-2005, 1:59 PM Reply   
John.... Good suggestions all. I just did a re-wire of my tower (well I'm almost done), so let me offer a couple thoughts and pics to ya. For a super clean install, look into Neutrik connectors. I made my connection from lower tower leg to hull with a Neutrik 8 lead twist-lock connector and matching through plate. By going this route you don't have to leave any excess slack in your wiring harness, and if you need to drop your tower (or remove it for any reason, one twist and the tower harness is disconnected. The Neitrik pieces I used were like $20 total, so price really isn't an issue. I also used Monster Cables new 9 lead (16awg) wire which made running the tower wiring very easy and the final result very clean. That one wire has all the leads you need in it to wire up four individual speakers on four spearate channels. Banana plugs on the wires at the speakers and you have quick disconnect capabilities on both ends of your wiring harness. I did it that way so that I could utilize the quick releases on my new Monstertower Double speaker pods!

Hope this info helps. Good luck.

Connection at hull # 1
Connection at hull # 2
Tower Leg to Crossmember Wiring
Reason for re-wire!
Old     (mnwakerider)      Join Date: Jun 2004       05-28-2005, 7:08 PM Reply   
Nice job Mike, I wish I could afford the bullet pods... they look sweet. I am gonna look into the disconnect plates that you used they look nice. thanks again guys for all the help I am planning on finishing these on Sunday so I can use the speakers riding on monday.
If anyone else knows does the MonsterTower have a clear coat finish on it? I was gonna give her a little extra bling wet sanding with 2000 grit and then finish with metal polish to really bring out the bling bling. This question might be more focused to Bill but I dont think that there is a clear coat finish but just want to make sure.
Thanks again and I will post when I am done with both the cans and hopefully the polish.
Peace, jb
Old     (monstertower)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-29-2005, 5:43 AM Reply   
John - the tower is polished and then brite dip anodized so I would'nt recommend sanding off the anodizing. You could but first you'd have to get to bare metal then polish, and polish, and polish and then continue to have to polish it regularly. The anodized surface is pretty low maintenance.
Old    avdss            06-06-2005, 2:32 PM Reply   
John,
can you tell me where you get the Neutrik 8 lead twist-lock? Look around on the web, but can't find exact match.
thanks,
Old    bigdeal            06-06-2005, 9:40 PM Reply   
T Tran, here's where I got my Neutrik pieces (specifically the 8 lead twist lock and plate).

http://www.samedaymusic.com/browse--3568

Mike