Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 26, 2009

Old     (tyybo)      Join Date: Sep 2002       03-16-2009, 7:41 PM Reply   
Hey does anyone know where to find a good review of some of the inboards in the 90s? I have seen a lot of stuff in that era made by gekko, sanger etc but I dont know anything about them. Thanks
Old     (snowboardcorey)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-17-2009, 7:59 AM Reply   
Not really much for concrete reviews out there. It's going to depend on which model and sometimes which year in particular you are looking at. For example Gekko makes everything from minimalist ski boats to larger wakeboard models some of which may work for you and some may not.

Shoot me an email at corey@waterskis.com and I can usually help ya out with a particular model with the exception of Sanger and MB, I've never been in any boat from either.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       03-17-2009, 8:59 AM Reply   
http://www.wakeboardreport.com/archives/2006/06/budget_wake_boat_breakdown_gra.html

Should cover most lines
Old     (tyybo)      Join Date: Sep 2002       03-19-2009, 7:01 AM Reply   
That isn't a bad graph, unfortunately for me it doesn't include anything that I'm looking at.
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-19-2009, 9:57 AM Reply   
That is pretty much it. Only very popular models. Otherwise you have to search the various message boards. Post up what you find. What is your price range?
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       03-19-2009, 11:50 AM Reply   
Well, i'd be leary of the wake behind anything thats NOT on the list... these are proven towboats and should be your focus IMO. I personally wouldn't own a gekko, but thats my $.02. Older boats gen'lly hold their value if you stay with the top brands. Supra, Bu, MC, CC. Anything else i'd be concerned with construction quality and value.
Old     (tyybo)      Join Date: Sep 2002       03-20-2009, 12:33 PM Reply   
Somewhere in the 7-8k range. I found a 91 mariah that has my eye right now. He says the muffler needs replacement and the windshield is loose, other then that it sounds pretty nice for about 7.5k
Old    K.B.C.            03-20-2009, 12:41 PM Reply   
Gonna have a tough time getting advice on I/Os on this site. Everyone is going to tell you to buy an inboard like a SN 2001.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       03-20-2009, 12:59 PM Reply   
Mariah is a supra boat. DD w/ big freeboard.

FYI "mufflers" (exhaust tubes) are a couple hundred and shouldn't keep you from looking at the boat. Overheating can kill a muffler pretty quickly, but so can 18 years of normal use. Windshield, IDK. Isn't everything loose on an old boat? it is on mine anyway...
Old     (tyybo)      Join Date: Sep 2002       03-20-2009, 1:56 PM Reply   
Yeah the muffler was bringing me to my next question.. Is a muffler even necessary? He claims to have new tires, new carb and new electrical system also.. so thats definitely good news.

And as a side note, I think people need to do a little research. I've seen a mariah get called an IO on here quite a few times.. Its direct drive.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-20-2009, 2:06 PM Reply   
There is a supra Mariah but there is also a boat manufacturer called Mariah. They no longer make boats but when they did they made I/O's. The Supra Mariah is a really big boat for an older direct drive although I don't think it is really deep like the Sunsport. If you can find a Sunsport it has a better hull for wakeboarding.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-20-2009, 2:07 PM Reply   
And no you don't need a muffler but it is going to be loud as hell.
Old     (xbones)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-20-2009, 2:10 PM Reply   
$7.5K will buy you a dope SN2001 with PP, tower, speakers, and bags ;)
Old     (snowboardcorey)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-20-2009, 2:15 PM Reply   
A blown muffler will leak water into the boat. It's a good idea to replace them, or at a minimum fix them. Long term excess water in the boat will help deteriorate your steering cable and it can cause problems if your bilge pump goes out.

Usually mufflers get fried when the engine is overheated, check for other signs of overheat damage. It's not a deal breaker, but its worth checking into before plunking down your cash.
Old    K.B.C.            03-20-2009, 2:58 PM Reply   
that's because you called it a Mariah. It's a Supra Mariah.

There is a boat company actually called Mariah, maybe you should be the one doing a little more research...
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-20-2009, 3:54 PM Reply   
SunSport here
Old     (bradenb12)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-20-2009, 4:58 PM Reply   
What Luker said, get a SN 2001.
Old     (tyybo)      Join Date: Sep 2002       03-20-2009, 7:04 PM Reply   
so what else am I looking for in overheating?

Also, Id be glad to look at something else. This is what is in the general area. ND doesn't have much in the boat market. Sorry I wasn't specific in the boat description..
Old     (tyybo)      Join Date: Sep 2002       03-20-2009, 7:16 PM Reply   
little update here are the details about the muffler
"only other thing is that it needs a new muffler. Somehow a baffel broke inside of it and it rattles a bit."
Hopefully that would mean that it isn't an overheating issue.
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-20-2009, 7:42 PM Reply   
I'm rockin' a Sunsport too I love my boat