Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (juniorhawk)      Join Date: Jul 2004 Location: New England       08-17-2012, 10:19 AM Reply   
I just saw the press release. That's a big deal. I know they already had a big foot in the door but this changes things. Pretty cool move.

What do you guys think? (I actually didn't know if this belonged in the boat or wake forum because this acquisition is dripping in crossover appeal, so I put it here - mods please move if that was dumb of me)

Quote:
ORLANDO, FLA (August 17, 2012) — Today Correct Craft announced its purchase of the Orlando Watersports Complex (OWC), the world’s premier cable wake park, effective August 20.

OWC, the world’s most visited wake park (located in Orlando, Florida) is a must-visit destination for wakeboarders and skiers from all over the world. OWC’s three cable systems combined with a boat lake (where riders and skiers can train behind Nautique boats) provide an unparalleled opportunity for watersports enthusiasts to enjoy their sport in the world’s number one tourist destination.

Rene Hofmann, Founder and General Manager of OWC, stated “I greatly admire Correct Craft and its team as well as the company’s prestigious Nautique boat brand. I am thrilled that the watersports industry’s best and strongest company is acquiring OWC and that I have the opportunity to be a part of their team.” “I look forward to working with the Correct Craft team on not only ensuring OWC remains the world’s premier cable park but also exploring other opportunities for us to expand in this growing segment of our industry,” Hofmann added.

Correct Craft’s President/CEO Bill Yeargin stated “I have visited cable parks all over the world and OWC is the best in the world. We view OWC as complementary to our Nautique boat business and will work with Rene to continue bringing people into our industry.” “We are also excited to have Rene join our team and work with us to further enhance OWC while also pursuing other cable opportunities around the globe,” added Yeargin.
Pretty interesting. I think I saw this coming, but not this soon. Man... Correct Craft making some big time moves for 2012.

Last edited by juniorhawk; 08-17-2012 at 10:22 AM.
Old     (JoLo_Si)      Join Date: Oct 2011       08-17-2012, 12:02 PM Reply   
Crazyness! Seems like a conflic of interest for a boat company to own a cable park. I guess they are hedging their bets...
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            08-17-2012, 1:18 PM Reply   
Bill Yeargin talking about the changes
http://nautique.com/Blog/index/orlan...ts-complex-owc
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       08-17-2012, 1:51 PM Reply   
I can't figure out why, but this makes me nervous. Consolidation I guess.
Old     (devildog_ra)      Join Date: Jun 2007       08-17-2012, 1:52 PM Reply   
^Joe Cable parks are not a competitor of the wake boat industry but instead a much needed way to increase the market for wakeboarding. Think of how many people will never have the means or oportunity to ride on a lake behind a boat, so they will never have any interest in wakeboarding. If those same people get an oportunity to ride at a cable park they will likely become interested in wakeboarding and want to do it more leading to interest in riding behind a boat. This may lead to them influencing someone ( a parent or friend) to buy a boat or even buying one themselves.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-20-2012, 7:07 AM Reply   
I hope changes are all for the good. Kind of scary.
Old     (petrie141)      Join Date: Jun 2012       08-20-2012, 7:54 AM Reply   
This might be something that Nautique is using to avoid a problem down the line. When you have engineers that have been in the wake game for a while, I would think they could bring some innovation to a cable park. I'm very interested to see what they come up with!
Old     (wakedaveup)      Join Date: May 2012       08-20-2012, 8:01 AM Reply   
^^Exactly, maybe Nautique just has the means to invest a bit more into the facility and has some renovations planned. We're already seeing a new unit rail being built. Maybe this is all for the better. Plus I don't see it as a huge surprise as Nautique has always hosted major events at OWC (wake games, gravel tour, etc) as well as been an afiliate for years.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            08-20-2012, 8:04 AM Reply   
Is that pool gap in yet?
Old     (gotwake133)      Join Date: May 2010       08-20-2012, 8:41 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by LR3w8kbrdr View Post
Is that pool gap in yet?
All the pluming for the pump and what not was finished yesterday...
I was told end of this week it will be in. But I was also told that the end of last week...and the week before...
So maybe by christmas??
Old     (boomshot)      Join Date: Jan 2008       08-20-2012, 9:23 AM Reply   
Correct Craft business plan:
Step 1: Knock all those towers down
Step 2: Put more boats in OWC

Later that week... "Correct Craft Buys Patent for Winch. Deletes It"

j/k
Old     (wakerpunk)      Join Date: Jan 2006       08-20-2012, 2:55 PM Reply   
it makes perfect sense... What hurt ski boat sales? Wakeboats... Whats going to eventually hurt wakeboats? Cable parks!

I dont know if im cool with the idea but for correct craft it seems like a total no brainer to protect their company in the future whether it be tomorrow or 10 years down the line.
Old     (mckenna)      Join Date: Mar 2008       08-20-2012, 4:25 PM Reply   
not really sure why people would be nervous or scared about this lol

surely its just another way of marketing and selling boats.

all cable rats really want to ride boat deep down.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-20-2012, 4:46 PM Reply   
^Just concerned that bureaucracy might tarnish the experience. Like lap limits even when it's not busy. Even though I mostly wear a CGA vest now, I could foresee a CGA vest requirement enforced. Or kicking old people off the rails!
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            08-20-2012, 5:08 PM Reply   
Theyre silly for not enforcing the cga vest rules. Do they like lawsuits or want their insurance co to drop them?

First time I met one of the up & coming team MC riders (whos name is not Harley or Shota) was moaning/griping about having to wear a cga vest and how it was so restricting him at a different park other than his home cable owc. I laughed bc the vest he was wearing wasnt that bad.