Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (bigdad)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-05-2009, 2:13 PM Reply   
I have always followed his blog and simply blown away at his work. I thought for sure he would be at the Superbowl covering that being his is from Arizona, but I guess he shot the UFC in Vegas instead. His UFC photos have to be the best I ever saw and that was his first time shooting it.

Plus... he's a Nikon guy.

http://markjrebilas.com/blog/2009/02/cageside-at-ufc-so-close-you-can-smell-the-blood/
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       02-05-2009, 2:43 PM Reply   
Yeah, just think how good he could be if he wasn't held back by such inferior equipment

Seriously though, those photos are awesome. 2500iso? My goodness...silky smooth!

On a side note, I always enjoy seeing what pro shooters wind up with when they shoot a new sport/event for the first time. I've come across a few blogs/articles where they will talk about what went through their mind during the event. One that pops to mind was from the Arizona PWT stop.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       02-05-2009, 3:04 PM Reply   
I saw that today. He is amazing how quickly he can get an "eye" for a sport he has never shot before. He did the same thing a little while back when he was invited to a pro wakeboarding event.
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       02-05-2009, 3:51 PM Reply   
That was a great read, thanks.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       02-05-2009, 5:20 PM Reply   
He is a great photographer but do you think any of his WBing shots would get run in a mag?

No knock on him, he obviously doesn't know the sport.

I see just as good of WBing shots from most of the regular posters around here.

Hopefully Mike schooled him a little and what to look for!
Upload
Old     (isler)      Join Date: Apr 2003       02-05-2009, 5:52 PM Reply   
If Mark wanted to learn to shoot wake, he'd do a hell of a job I'm sure. I talked to him a little before he went to the AZ PWT stop and gave him some pointers. He's not just all about the peak action, though... he sees more than that.

He's a pretty damn good photographer, and also won Motorsports Photographer of the Year as well as just a few days ago won the SportsShooter annual contest (netting him a 1DmkIII).
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       02-05-2009, 8:57 PM Reply   
I can see a lot of creativity in those WB shots on his site Mike which is pretty amazing give his lack of experience with the sport. Most of it just doesn't fit the formula (for lack of a better term) for what gets published these days hence my remarks above.

I certainly wasn't trying to knock his work, I did think it was interesting that he seemed to dwell more on the human drama of the sport (which makes sense given his experience and talent.) then the peak performance type shot we're all used to seeing. Plus I'm sure he didn't give a hoot whether his shots fit the "publishable" mold or not.

It's just different and I guess I was just wondering out loud above if anyone would have noticed some of those shots if they had been posted by someone around here? I had to look hard at some of them to see anything special.

I guess that's one of the perils of being a famous pro, everyone expects every shot posted in a portfolio or on a website to just blow them away!

Anyhow I'll bet you're having a ball working with him.
Old     (bigdad)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-06-2009, 10:50 AM Reply   
I understand what Rich is trying to say, but Rebilas' photos show a different side. We talk about trying to shoot out of the box or breaking rules. Rebilas does that, and does it better than most.

Mike (who knows his way behind the lens himself) also works with Laforet who I think is pretty amazing also.
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-06-2009, 12:59 PM Reply   
Dude knows his stuff for sure!
http://markjrebilas.com/blog/2008/10/from-the-archives-x-games-handlebar-remote-cam-2006/#more-1331
Old     (goinbigg17)      Join Date: Jul 2002       02-06-2009, 7:55 PM Reply   
That dude takes some sweet stuff! Cool blog to, another time waster while at work
Old     (mammoth)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-07-2009, 8:12 AM Reply   
Rich - I definitely wondered the same, but with a much more 'novice spin' to my reaction.

I don't have much of an eye for taking good pics, but I love to pretend I do and take a lot of pictures. Shooting wake is what sparked this interest so it's what I enjoy shooting the most. I've also thought that it's more challenging to shoot well than a lot of other subjects.

Rebilas' shots and comments seem to confirm this. It's a snapshot of the learning curve as applied to one of the best. Encouraging.
Old     (wakeripper)      Join Date: Oct 2002       02-11-2009, 3:32 PM Reply   
Wow that is very cool of you to post only because i was "the other still photographer" in the boat and wondered who he was..nice guy but with everything going on i never really chatted with him much although i was quite curious to see what he got when he broke out that 600mm