Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 08, 2008

Old     (mofreestyle)      Join Date: Jan 2006       04-19-2008, 10:25 AM Reply   
I was thinking of adding another sub in our 08 x-star. I was going to stick to jl and go with either a 10 inch jl w6 or w7. I'm leaning towards the w6 just for cost reasons. I thought about going with a 12 inch sub but I'm not sure if it'll fit. I was just wondering how the wetsounds free air sub and the wetsounds xs would compare to a 10inch jl w6. Assuming they were all powered the same. I know the xs is a 12inch sub but just for comparison let's say it would fit. Any help would be appreciated.

Also I'm looking into eq's and was wondering what everyone recommends. I was looking into the wetsounds eq but was wondering what else was out there.
Old     (soundbox)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-19-2008, 5:54 PM Reply   
Here is two 12w6vs vented out of the factory 10" location:

Upload
Upload

If you go with JL I recommend the 10w6 or 12w6. W7s have tons of output but have a hard time playing tight in boats.

The Wetsounds sub has been getting good reviews on here but I do not have a ton of experience with it.

The Wetsounds WS-420 is going to be like having 2 eqs.. 1 for tower and 1 for interior plus a PA. The design and features of the WS-420 make it perfect for wake boat applications.

Alternatives to the WS-420 that have worked well have been the AudioControl products and the Elcipse EQ1000. These will not give you separate equalization of the tower and interior but will give you fade control, sub level and 8volt preamp.
Old     (stler645)      Join Date: Jan 2008       04-19-2008, 8:24 PM Reply   
I have no experience with the Wetsounds sub or any of their interior products, but I will second the vote for the W6. No question the W7 is capable of unreal output, but it will require more power and more airspace. Not quite as practical as the W6.

As for EQs, audio control is where its at, but obviously not designed for a boat like the Wetsounds. I'm not sure there is a direct competitor to the WS-420.
Old     (mofreestyle)      Join Date: Jan 2006       04-19-2008, 9:25 PM Reply   
Thanks for the advice guys. I was leaning towards the w6 because of the reasons. Plus it will save me a little cash.

so does anyone have any experience with the wetsounds xs?
Old     (foilboy)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-20-2008, 5:53 AM Reply   
Mark I like what Ben has done with the 2 subs venting out of the stock grill. Will that work for us?
DC
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-21-2008, 8:23 AM Reply   
^^^^That looks like the x-45 not the x-star, don't think you can fit 2 12's in that space on teh x-star, 1 12w6 sounds good.
Old     (soundbox)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-21-2008, 11:10 PM Reply   
Bob & Sam - Thanks guys. The boat pictured is an X-15. You can get the same effect with the X-Star except you will need to angle the box towards the center of the boat so that the factory sub opening is not blocked. The X-15 has the factory sub firing towards the driver compared to yours that is firing into the center of the boat. It would take triple measuring and some creativity but the same idea should be able to work on the X-Star. You may need to build the enclosure in two pieces so the the air space can extend into the next compartment and then assemble them inside the compartments. Once the sub enclosure is in and the subs mounted put the cover plate on and you are done. Here is the in progress picture (box is deeper than it looks in the picture) and the finished look:

Upload
Upload
Old     (kneeboarder8806)      Join Date: Jan 2006       04-22-2008, 5:31 AM Reply   
^^That is one of the cleanest install i have seen in a while