Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old     (rileyg)      Join Date: Jun 2006       07-08-2006, 11:40 AM Reply   
When I start trying raleys this week should I try them on my wakeskate first? Just to get the feeling and what not?
Old     (marshk344)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-08-2006, 2:51 PM Reply   
that doesnt sound very smart....it seems like it be pretty painful cuz you'd fall on your face everytime...
Old     (kingskrew)      Join Date: May 2004       07-08-2006, 3:41 PM Reply   
Actually learning on a wakeskate is a very common and useful method for learning raleys. You may take one or two wrecks to the face, but ideally you'll learn to get your feet back underneath you and just slip into the water.

Here's me:
Upload
Old    malibu73            07-09-2006, 3:32 PM Reply   
ha ha thats an awesome picture
Old                07-09-2006, 7:23 PM Reply   
oww!! lol
Old     (wakechic06)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-12-2006, 1:32 PM Reply   
i would think you would just dive into the water and it wouldn't hurt as bad as a face plant...but i have no idea
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-12-2006, 4:25 PM Reply   
"it seems like it be pretty painful cuz you'd fall on your face everytime..."

The Raley is going to be painful to learn anyway you slice it. My first 7 happened so quick, I only extended and didn't pull back in. 7 Raley's to belly flops. Then I was getting the board back underneath me and butt dunking. Then number I stuck number 12.

If you aint got the gutts to try it on a wakeboard, you're not going to have what it takes to learn the trick through to proficiency. The raley is all-or-none. No half commitment.

I'd advocate against using a wakeskate. The only thing that a wakeskate will protect you against is once you're learning to pull your feet back in, if you don't quite make it. The Raley to Edge crash with wakeboard is quite uncomfortable.

If it were I, I'd use a wakeboard since the edging characterizes of a wakeskate and a wakeboard are completely different. On the raley you want all the speed you can get, I've never known a wakeskate to accelerate hard enough into the wake.

(Message edited by yosquire on July 12, 2006)
Old     (big_xstar)      Join Date: Nov 2004       07-14-2006, 7:11 AM Reply   
Craig--I like your perspective on the raley training, but the wakeskate has been a proving training aid. The "BOOK" and WBM promote using the wakestate to learn the Raley. Granted the edging maynot be exactly the same its more the practice of getting your feet back underneath you.
With all due respect Craig-I am gonna take the advise of Kyle Schmidt(pro instructor of the wakeboard camp)every day of the week.
Old    stoked27            07-21-2006, 8:57 PM Reply   
Kevin - I feel that if you're comfortable on the wakeskate then great, but I learned the raley without trying it on the wakeskate just fine. Even now being able to land it on the wakeboard, I'm still not confident in my abilities to do it on a wakeskate for the same reasons that Craig mentions.

I'd recommend giving it a shot on the wakeskate, but if that's not working, don't rule out the option to just try it on the wakeboard.
Old     (cole_souers)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-25-2006, 4:32 PM Reply   
it is definately easier to try this, you can get a feel for pulling your body back down. got all the way down on to my butt on first try with a wakeskate. it has a lot of potential to hurt your boys though if you arent careful, let me tell you. OUCH!
Old     (kingskrew)      Join Date: May 2004       07-29-2006, 2:30 PM Reply   
Link to video on wakepics.com

Finally got the camera-to-computer thing figured out.

-Steve
Old     (kingskrew)      Join Date: May 2004       07-29-2006, 3:47 PM Reply   
http://www.wakepics.com/view_single.php?medid=19675
Try this one...
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-01-2006, 12:02 PM Reply   
Thanks Steve. I knew you had that video since I just saw it on the crash thread. I agree the skate would work pretty well. But he!!, who am I to talk. I sure won't be trying a Raley in this lifetime!