Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 20, 2005

Old     (wakechic06)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-18-2005, 8:16 AM Reply   
Ok so about a week ago, i finally went for it and now i can consistantly go W2W no problem and im getting pretty good distance. Im cuting harder than i used to but im not getting a lot of pop. When i couldnt go W2W before i was getting better pop, but now its the opposite. I can clear the wake, but arent getting very high. Any suggestions would be great. Thanx

Jamie
Old    wakesyco            08-18-2005, 8:44 AM Reply   
stand tall as you leave the wake
and keep your handle close to your lead hip
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-18-2005, 8:48 AM Reply   
This sometimes means you are taking a long/wide cut to use speed to get across the wake. Now that you can clear the wake, try shortening your cut little by little and make up the difference by edging harder up the wake. Make sure you're not starting with a hard edge and then flattening off at the wake. (You should be doing the exact opposite). Try to get someone to video you so you can assess. Make sure you are standing tall at the top of the wake to get your pop. You problem can also be caused by trying to stand tall or pop too early. Pop is all in the timing.
Old    sangerfan            08-18-2005, 8:51 AM Reply   
start your cut to the wake as slow as possible and build speed up to the wake, stand tall,handle close. dont try to cut super hard just make sure to get a progresive cut.
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-18-2005, 10:11 AM Reply   
J-Rod said it............ Do what he says, do it now! haha goodluck
Old     (wakechic06)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-18-2005, 1:23 PM Reply   
Alright cool, thanx
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-18-2005, 1:32 PM Reply   
Speed == distance. Line Load == height.

Some of my favorite CA riders to watch (e.g. Joe, Peter) have amazing short approach pop. They come in slow and assert into the wake. They go vert not long. This is a good thing too since speed is a lot harder on your body.

I only wish I could do it like they do it.

(Message edited by greatdane on August 18, 2005)
Old     (wakechic06)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-18-2005, 1:37 PM Reply   
GD - what exactly do you mean about Line Load? And when you say short approach are you saying not to cut out so far, but a little shorter and cut in harder?
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-18-2005, 1:45 PM Reply   
Line load is tension on the line. You want to maximize this as you are carving up the wake. This is in agreement with what JROD wrote.

When I went to TWC a few years back, Kyle had me work on short approach pop exercises. I would start at the spray line, approach slow and try to go up not out. These exercises helped me understand the whole progressive edge, load the line, stand tall and POP thing.

Get yourself a good educational DVD if you don't have one. Have fun!
Old     (wakechic06)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-18-2005, 8:58 PM Reply   
OK awesome, yea i have the book. Im still workin on watching it all. Ive done a few of the edging drills and stuff a couple times but havent done one of them since i faceplanted and bout knocked me out. Thanx for the advice!

Jamie
Old     (msasser)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-18-2005, 9:04 PM Reply   
yea, basically progressive edge is all about accelerating, do you play any sports, like maybe golf or, tennis, maybe even bowling, the whole point is to accelerate through the shot, or roll, if you start your cut to hard to soon, and back off, your slowing down when you hit the wake, but if you start slow, and speed up, or progress your cut, your speeding up when you hit the wake, thats what makes you go high and far. today i just practiced going real slow at the beginning, and the cutting as hard as i could, i never got so much pop. hope this helps.
Old     (wakechic06)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-18-2005, 9:42 PM Reply   
Thanx, yea that helps a bunch. I had senior pics today and the lady wanted to get some of me actually riding but it was so choppy i couldnt cut at all hardly so we have to go out early morning next week and do it again. I'll work on progressive edge this weekend so i'll be ready for next week.

Thanx a bunch!

Jamie